Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-01-2014, 10:10 AM   #85
KARBON

Drives: 2010 CAMARO 850 RWHP/733 RWTQ
Never !! TH400
*RPM TH400 with Brake
*Precision 3600 Converter
*850 RWHP/733 RWTQ
KARBON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 10:21 PM   #86
horizon670

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro 2LT / RS / Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadPeter View Post
I've got the Vitesse Motorsports paddle shifters, which are much easier to use than the buttons, and I use mine all the time. I also have an IPF Tune with a trans tune, and just installed the Vitesse throttle controller. I installed it on Saturday and haven't driven it yet because of all the rain we got. It's a blast.
We want to know how your car feels now with both the Paddle Shifters and the new Throttle Controller

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyderbuddy View Post
Now that i have the Throttle controller from the same, I've used them more often.
With the Throttle Controller, you feel much more in control of the way you drive, that's why you tend to use the Paddle Shifters more often.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMARO__13 View Post
it's good bt sometimes it doesn't shift fast right away that's the point
You need 2 things: A Tune that includes a TCM ( Transmission Control Module Tune ) and the Throttle Controller. Both mods will help you get very close to an instant shift , without anymore delays.
horizon670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 10:30 PM   #87
Battlezone580

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE, 1969 Nova SS 396
I use it all the time, its so much quicker because the auto trans shifts low at about 3-5 rpms.

Sadly I couldnt get a stick my first car was manual and a daily driver like my camaro, I live in La and have a 1 hour - 1:30 hour commute to
work so the clutch was a bitch.

The only time I don't use padel shifters is in traffic

18 ZL1 1LE|M6|Nav|PDR|CF Hood|CF WING|CF Dash|Tow Hook|
Battlezone580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 10:34 PM   #88
Battlezone580

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE, 1969 Nova SS 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by txthunder View Post
Love when people just assume that people are lazy or do not know how to drive a stick.
Yea ikr driving a stick is so easy I learned in 2 weeks with my first car tbh.

Its a great thing to learn barley any cars use stick anymore. Also I saw a article saying in new performance cars the auto is faster than stick, and remember they thats a race car driver using the stick and the computer beat him. Tbh soon there will be no manual
Cars just padel shifters

18 ZL1 1LE|M6|Nav|PDR|CF Hood|CF WING|CF Dash|Tow Hook|
Battlezone580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 10:57 PM   #89
SSNvMiner

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS L99
rig2014SS . . . Thanks, I was just going to ask if anyone had that CDF shifter and how they liked it. I have read the posts on that thread and it seems that everyone that installed them... love-em.
SSNvMiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 10:33 AM   #90
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrando View Post
When I bought my 2004 Nissan it was because the only car Chevy built with a stick was an 'orvette.
Boy, do I know that story. We jumped ship from Chevy to Nissan in the mid-1980's because the manual transmission had disappeared from the intermediate sedans (the Monte Carlo SS really should have featured a MT if only to reflect its Chevelle heritage and better preserve the "SS" image). And when Nissan dropped the MT from their mid/upper level sedan lineup somewhere during the 2000's, we stopped shopping there and ended up buying a Subaru. Looks like we'll be going somewhere else yet again next time around.

DreamDiesel - people have been predicting the end of conventional manual transmissions since the 1960's, and the article you saw (and the R&T online article that I saw) are only the latest in a long string. For many varieties of enthusiast driving, paddle shifters are a clear improvement trying to work a "stick the lever in 'D' and forget it" arrangement manually between the gears. But I've wondered for a long time about gating a console-mounted lever to move a lot more like a conventional MT shifter for manually selecting the lower gears. I remember being so glad when manual transmission shifters were taken OFF the steering column and put back down on the floor that it still feels like a half-step in the wrong direction to put any shifter back up there again.

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 07:46 PM   #91
Botrod

Drives: 2012 Inferno Orange SS Vert
Just got my SS and was playing with the paddles a bit today. I'm not sure I quite understand how to use them fully. With the car in D can I use them or should it be in M? What is the difference between M and using the paddles? Sorry if this has been asked a billion times before. Appreciate a link to previous discussions on it or school me now.
Botrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 08:07 PM   #92
qcman

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RDP Tuned L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botrod View Post
Just got my SS and was playing with the paddles a bit today. I'm not sure I quite understand how to use them fully. With the car in D can I use them or should it be in M? What is the difference between M and using the paddles? Sorry if this has been asked a billion times before. Appreciate a link to previous discussions on it or school me now.
Its best to put the the shifter to "M" to use them. They work in "D" but it is more limited and I think it only holds the manual gear briefly. In M as soon as you say pull the left paddle the car goes into full manual mode and downshifts a gear. You can now downshift or upshift to your hearts content. If you don't use the paddles then the car is in full auto Sport mode when M is selected. So M is sport full auto then M is full manual once you pull the paddle.......

To disable manual again hold the right paddle back for a couple of seconds and the car goes back to auto in Sport mode.

The car is fun in manual and will pull pretty hard all the way up til I chicken out!

Cam
qcman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 08:09 PM   #93
CCMADONNA

Drives: 2014 SW 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by qcman View Post

The car is fun in manual and will pull pretty hard all the way up til I chicken out!

Cam
me too!!!!!

2014 2SS/RS VERT L99
SUMMIT WHITE
AIRAID CAI
BORLA ATAK CAT-BACK EXHAUST
ELITE ENGINEERING CATCH-CAN
RANGE AFM-DELETE MODULE
HUPER OPTIK 40
CHROME PEDALS
PREMIUM FLOOR MATS
PREMIUM CARGO MAT
DEDICATED 32GB iPHONE HD
[/I][/B][IMG][/IMG]
CCMADONNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 09:39 AM   #94
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
I don't use them very often, but enjoy them when I do. I like that just one downshift disables AFM until I resume sport mode by holding down the + shifter.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 11:03 AM   #95
xnuyokr

Drives: 2012 1LT Drop Top
I didn't care for them much untill I got my exhaust done. Now I use them all the time. (However when I'm cruising at highway speeds I will go back to auto Sport mode so when I step on it I don't have to try and down shift two or three gears with the paddles when passing)!
Old 10-22-2014, 11:25 AM   #96
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by xnuyokr View Post
I didn't care for them much untill I got my exhaust done. Now I use them all the time. (However when I'm cruising at highway speeds I will go back to auto Sport mode so when I step on it I don't have to try and down shift two or three gears with the paddles when passing)!
If you plan your passing a little more ahead of time, you'll have more than enough time to tap the paddle the right number of times - and you'll get a better sense of what the right number of times should be.

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 11:34 AM   #97
xnuyokr

Drives: 2012 1LT Drop Top
Yes that may be true but it's too easy to end up in the wrong gear using the paddles as opposed to having a stick. This way I just mash the peddle and the car gets it right every time!
Old 10-22-2014, 05:11 PM   #98
SS22

Drives: 2010 Blue Camaro RS
I use it for winter driving in lower gears, that's about it. Helps keep me on the road when there's lottsa snow.
SS22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2011 camaro 1lt, auto camaro, paddle shifters