Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 06-20-2016, 02:56 PM   #15
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
You will fail a PA inspection. You need 4/32 tread depth to pass in PA and those don't look like they have that much left.
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 03:01 PM   #16
mth35115

Drives: 2010 Camaro rs/ss inferno orange
Your tires have wear bars on them, that's the high places molded into grooves the on the tires. When those start to wear, the manufactures say to replace the tires. I don't know if your state follows what the manufacture says or not.

HOT ROD SS
MTH35115
mth35115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 04:09 PM   #17
Rainbow1616

Drives: 2011 Inferno Orange Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyroguy View Post
You will fail a PA inspection. You need 4/32 tread depth to pass in PA and those don't look like they have that much left.

I question that. Here it is and has always been 2/32.

It's only 4/32 if your vehicle is over 10000 lbs.
Rainbow1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 04:45 PM   #18
JerTM

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowmag View Post
I've never heard of cars not passing inspection due to low tread. If you had belts showing yeah maybe. I think you'll be fine but I do live in the desert.
Below 2/32nd on two adjacent tread lines here is a fail. I am sure it's different from state to state. If the weather is fine and dry the OPs tires should be good for a few thousand more, just want to change them before the weather gets wet or cold.
JerTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 04:52 PM   #19
Homeless Man
Homeless Life Chose Me

Drives: LS3 (sold 4/21)
Yea I'll be fine driving on them I just don't wanna go to inspection and fail it. I don't know why BFG doesn't manufacture more tires seems like a loss of money for them
Old 06-20-2016, 04:52 PM   #20
jshaf
Montani Semper Liberi

Drives: 2011 Black 2SS/RS w/ IOM stripes
my car was built in 2010 as a 2011, so the tires are 6 years old, so going to replace them before there 8 years for sure even though I only have 8500 on them. ten years is the max from what I have read. want to get wider rims so would like to do them around the same time. thinking of getting the rims this fall and hold them til spring then get the tires and have them mounted at the same time. spread the cost over 8 months or so.

Stainless Works 1 7/8 Long Tude Headers, Stainless Works High Flow Cats, Stainless Works Retro Chambered Catback, Z/28 Air Intake, RDP Tuned, FR41 Chrome Rims, 1100W stereo, 35% Tint
jshaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 05:32 PM   #21
uvraise

Drives: 2021 Camaro SS Convertible
Homeless Man,
Here is the PA code. There's more, but you'll get the gist of it.

(1) Inspect the tires and wheels and reject if one or more of the following apply:
(i) A tire has two adjacent treads with less than 2/32-inch tread remaining at any point—less than 4/32-inch tread on the front tires of the vehicles having a gross weight in excess of 10,000 pounds.
(ii) A tire is worn so that the tread wear indicators contact the road in any two adjacent grooves.
(iii) A part of ply or cord is exposed.
(iv) A tire has been repaired with a blow-out patch or boot.
(v) There is a bump, bulge or separation.
(vi) A tire is marked “not for highway use,” “for racing purposes only” or “unsafe for highway use,” or has a similar designation.
(vii) There are other conditions or markings reasonably believed to render the tire unsafe for highway use.
(viii) A tire has been regrooved or recut below the original tread design depth except special taxicab tires which are identified as having extra undertread rubber.
(ix) A tire’s tread extends beyond the outer edge of the wheel housing inclusive of fender flares.
(x) The tires used on the same axle are not the same size or type of construction—bias, belted, radial or snow.
(xi) The wheel nuts or bolts are missing, loose or have improper thread engagement.
(xii) The stud or bolt holes are worn out of round.
(xiii) Part of the wheel is bent, cracked, welded or damaged so as to affect safe operation of vehicle.
(xiv) The rear wheel does not track front wheel in straight ahead position as originally designed.
(xv) The wheel base on one side differs from the wheel base on the other side by more than 1 inch, unless the vehicle’s design specifications indicate different left and right wheel base dimensions.
uvraise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 05:42 PM   #22
Mr. Stacy
El Duderino

Drives: 2011 2LTRS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by jshaf View Post
my car was built in 2010 as a 2011, so the tires are 6 years old, so going to replace them before there 8 years for sure even though I only have 8500 on them. ten years is the max from what I have read. want to get wider rims so would like to do them around the same time. thinking of getting the rims this fall and hold them til spring then get the tires and have them mounted at the same time. spread the cost over 8 months or so.
You are correct. The rubber wears out and tires usually need to be replaced after 10 years. However, this recommendation usually concerns breakdown of the rubber to things like oxidation. If your car is garaged, your tires may actually outlast that mark by a long shot.

I recently took my Ranger in that has factory BF Goodrich LT tires on it to have them replaced, but after inspection they said I shouldn't waste my money right now. Even though they are on an '06 Ranger with 50k miles on them they still have lots of tread left, and because it has been garaged since new, the rubber itself is in excellent shape.

YMMV.
Old 06-20-2016, 05:54 PM   #23
Mr. Stacy
El Duderino

Homeless Man, I know you drive year round on those so I would suggest replacing them ASAP.

It doesn't take much to loose traction, even under 30 mph if it's wet. There is nothing worse than wen you turn the wheel and not only does it not turn, but there is a line of cars waiting on the other side of the line and you crease every section of someone else's nice car. :(

Happened to me (shitty factory Mustang tires) and because I had a previous "incident" (a ticket I think) State Farm dropped me and wow, nothing like trying to find reasonably priced insurance when you get dropped. Complete and total reaming and nothing that was less than about three times what I was paying.

Took three years for that to drop off so literally cost me many thousands of dollars to run on questionable tires. Not to mention public and your personal safety.

Good luck. Hope you find a deal on some good tires.
Old 06-20-2016, 05:57 PM   #24
Kenny Camaro
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 1LT RS Camaro
Mine have 22,000 and just a little less the that
Kenny Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 06:14 PM   #25
Mr. Stacy
El Duderino

Tire Rack says they have these in stock:

G-FORCE COMP-2 A/S

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....utoModClar=2SS
Old 06-20-2016, 06:34 PM   #26
Homeless Man
Homeless Life Chose Me

Drives: LS3 (sold 4/21)
My plan was to get MRR 228 rims with 305 in the back and 285 upfront. That's the only reason I'm holding off is the 305's are out of stock. Any other brand with all seasons 305 or bigger at under $200?
Old 06-20-2016, 08:03 PM   #27
Moreair1

Drives: 2011 ss convertible
To me they are to the tread indicator, so if they would pass or not really depends on the place you have do the inspection, I believe your waiting for the bfgs if I remember right from your other thread, those where the tires I wanted but ended up doing toyo proxies 4 pluses on my mr228 rims and so far are treating me well
Believe the rears are around 230 each probably cheaper if you shopped around here is a link so you can read about them if interested
https://www.google.com/search?q=toyo...obile&ie=UTF-8
Old 06-21-2016, 09:59 AM   #28
djm96z28

Drives: 2012 Camaro 1SS LS3
I have about 12,6xx miles on mine and they look thinner than yours. I don't know if the FL heat could cause them to wear faster, but I'm going to get replacements before too long. The fronts aren't bad, but I'll be replace those at the same time. I'm thinking of trying the new Firestone Firehawk Indy 500's.
djm96z28 is offline   Reply With Quote