Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V6

Old 07-06-2009, 12:10 PM   #1
ZNOLMT

Drives: Rally Yellow 2LT
STS Remote Mount Turbo Kit for V6

Has anyone considered doing an STS Remote mount turbo or twin turbo kit? They seem really cool, and probably an easier mod than a regular turbo mount. The difference (if you are not familiar with remote mount turbos) is that they don't go under the hood. Instead they replace the muffler, or attach somewhere on the exhaust pipe, then send boost all the way back to the engine. Seems a bit strange, but apparently it works great!

I think I might save up and help Nikki get one of these twin turbo kits for her 2LT.

They already have bolt on kits for several cars (mustangs, challengers, 350z), and I am sure they'll have one for our Camaros soon. This could even be a good possibility for the v8 guys, since they've already done kits for the corvettes and gto.

Here is the link: http://www.ststurbo.com/home

Also! They sound pretty awesome!

Here is a video:
ZNOLMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 12:18 PM   #2
Xanthos
PWA Relapse

Drives: Formerly-Stick
Yeah, there has been much discussion (and much controversy) on the STS kits. I think its a wonderful idea, but a lot of people don't like the idea of having their turbocharger down under the car, exposed to the elements and to potential thieves.
- X

2017 1LT/RS A8 Hyper Blue Metallic

Xanthos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 12:18 PM   #3
patriotpa
Account Suspended

Drives: 02 Silverado, 09 Vue, 10 1SS
Location: Tired of apologizing when we should be kickin' butt!
It would help keep the heat out of the engine compartment.
patriotpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 12:20 PM   #4
blackedout010

Drives: on order black 2010 2ss
rear mounts are junk stay away
blackedout010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 12:24 PM   #5
Xanthos
PWA Relapse

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriotpa View Post
It would help keep the heat out of the engine compartment.
This, and the extra intake length provides the same cooling effect on the air charge as an intercooler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackedout010 View Post
rear mounts are junk stay away
Care to cite any evidence for this? I'm not really taking a stand one way or the other, but I don't see how the mounting location automatically makes it "junk" and have even seen evidence that points to the contrary.
- X

Old 07-06-2009, 12:27 PM   #6
patriotpa
Account Suspended

Drives: 02 Silverado, 09 Vue, 10 1SS
Location: Tired of apologizing when we should be kickin' butt!
Cooler air=Denser Air. Denser Air=MORE POWER!
patriotpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 12:28 PM   #7
ZNOLMT

Drives: Rally Yellow 2LT
The theft thing could be an issue, but I have also heard that exposing them to the elements could be a big issue, such as if you're driving in the rain or snow with a heated up turbo, but maybe some kind of splash plate or something could be fabbed up to protect it.

From what I've seen they seem great! Is there any other concerns besides the ones talked about so far?
ZNOLMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 12:38 PM   #8
blackedout010

Quote:
Originally Posted by XanthosV6 View Post
This, and the extra intake length provides the same cooling effect on the air charge as an intercooler.

Care to cite any evidence for this? I'm not really taking a stand one way or the other, but I don't see how the mounting location automatically makes it "junk" and have even seen evidence that points to the contrary.
- X
ive had several buddy's (3 camaro and 1 c5) whom all had sts kits. ranging from stock motors to strokers. all had continous problems. all changed and went differnt routes within a year of builds. i wouldnt touch em but thats my opinion. to each their own
Old 07-06-2009, 12:40 PM   #9
blackedout010

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZNOLMT View Post
The theft thing could be an issue, but I have also heard that exposing them to the elements could be a big issue, such as if you're driving in the rain or snow with a heated up turbo, but maybe some kind of splash plate or something could be fabbed up to protect it.

From what I've seen they seem great! Is there any other concerns besides the ones talked about so far?
problems with that and serious turbo lag. on the c5 they completely wraped exhuast which helped out a bit but not much.
Old 07-06-2009, 12:48 PM   #10
speedster
SST...

Drives: SST Camaro 2010
STS Turbos -

It seems people either love them or hate them, no "grey" area here.

My neighbor down the road had an 04 GTO with an STS kit. Made 487 RWHP. Ran it for years, never a problem.

But then it sounds like blackedout010's buddies had it and it didn't work out for them, so that's not a good thing.

There are pros and cons with anything. Pick what you like and go with it.
Old 07-06-2009, 12:51 PM   #11
Xanthos
PWA Relapse

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackedout010 View Post
ive had several buddy's (3 camaro and 1 c5) whom all had sts kits. ranging from stock motors to strokers. all had continous problems. all changed and went differnt routes within a year of builds. i wouldnt touch em but thats my opinion. to each their own
You're perfectly entitled to your opinion - just wanted to make sure you weren't just spouting off what you've heard others say just because you heard them say it.

Personally, I think its a good idea in theory. I don't like the muffler replacement part of it though - if I did one, I would use a single turbo and put it where the H-pipe is. Run a Y-pipe into the turbo, and a Y-pipe off of the turbo. It would serve as an X-pipe, but also give the turbo itself a bit better spool from the scavenging of the Y-pipe, and from it not being QUITE so far back.

And I would put a metal shield under it to keep it from getting hit by rocks, water, etc.
- X

P.S. - Of course, this is all academic because if I ever did go forced induction, it would be through an eaton or similar blower.

Old 07-06-2009, 12:51 PM   #12
blackedout010

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedster View Post
STS Turbos -

My neighbor down the road had an 04 GTO with an STS kit. Made 487 RWHP. Ran it for years, never a problem.

But then it sounds like blackedout010's buddies had it and it didn't work out for them, so that's not a good thing.

agreed!! with that said all of the setups i mentioned were done several years ago. perhaps they have improved the setup now. i just know id stick with proven setups if it were me. theres nothing as bad as a new car sittin 24/7 due to performance mods:(
Old 07-06-2009, 12:52 PM   #13
Xanthos
PWA Relapse

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedster View Post
STS Turbos -

As with anything, your mileage may vary.
- X

Old 07-06-2009, 12:54 PM   #14
blackedout010

Quote:
Originally Posted by XanthosV6 View Post
You're perfectly entitled to your opinion - just wanted to make sure you weren't just spouting off what you've heard others say just because you heard them say it.

Personally, I think its a good idea in theory. I don't like the muffler replacement part of it though - if I did one, I would use a single turbo and put it where the H-pipe is. Run a Y-pipe into the turbo, and a Y-pipe off of the turbo. It would serve as an X-pipe, but also give the turbo itself a bit better spool from the scavenging of the Y-pipe, and from it not being QUITE so far back.

And I would put a metal shield under it to keep it from getting hit by rocks, water, etc.
- X

P.S. - Of course, this is all academic because if I ever did go forced induction, it would be through an eaton or similar blower.
correct in theory it does. but you gotta expect clearence issues as well.