Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-04-2015, 05:34 AM   #71
Denis

Drives: 2010 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by elektrik View Post
But how do you account for that opinion when looking at the other generations numbers listed above? They were 'mass produced' as well.
Quote:
What makes you think there will be that many 5th generations in 50-60 years? I believe the question is being made from the same standpoint of people who plan to keep them that long.
Quote:
Maybe, maybe not. found this after searching for .25 seconds.

https://www.mecum.com/lot-detail/FL0...amaro/4-Speed/
Old 06-04-2015, 05:47 AM   #72
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodBoss View Post
I don't know if it's just me but when I look at a Grand national it just doesn't have any curb appeal. I see a mid eighties Monte Carlo, there might not be many of them and I can see why. They don't hold a candle to the 5th Gen Camaro in my opinion. I didn't buy one then and I wouldn't buy one now.
I love the GN but I can see how people did not, it is in the end a boxy GM car. My next car after my GN was an 89 Turbo TA, same motor, better car.

Quote:
Maybe, maybe not. found this after searching for .25 seconds.

https://www.mecum.com/lot-detail/FL0...amaro/4-Speed/
If you read the history on that car it is low mileage because the miles were put on 1/4 at a time. Then it was parked and neglected until it was bought 34 years later and needed an extensive restoration.

I ordered my 2010 in June of 08, the guy in front of me in line ordered 2, 1 to drive and 1 to save "for his kids college fund". Its parked in his garage right now up on jackstands with the wheels and tires bagged and stored on the wall. Theres stories like that everywhere. And all those people in 25 or so years are going to flood the market with these ultra low mileage cars, that probably will barely even run from not being preserved properly.
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD LT 6.0 - Tow Vehicle
1991 Alfa Romeo 164S - Project Car
1994 Volkswagen Golf - Race Car

"Like" my race team on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/farfrumwinnin
Rogue Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 06:08 AM   #73
Fred 6528

Drives: 2011 ss
Drive it, enjoy it, restore it, drive it and enjoy it again
Fred 6528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 08:35 AM   #74
CamaroCracka

Drives: 2010 Turbo LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy_cowboy View Post
No cars aren't a great investment compared to actual investments, but then again, you can't really take a CD or IRA out for a nice cruise down a windy road or see the joy on your 16 year olds face when you surprise them with the keys on prom night. Some things are hard to put a dollar amount on.

Wonder if anyone has ever told Jay Leno his car collection would be better off as a mutual fund?
You can take the conversation way past cars. What do guns cost? How much do people pay to hunt or fish. You know the old saying about boats in general, and all that is just some guy stuff. What about the cost of weddings? My daughter wanted me to pop $3600 plus so she could do cheerleading. Sorry but daddy needs a supercharger which will return $0 but lots of smiles.

You don't want to die broke, but it makes no sense to die with pile of cash after having not really lived. All things in moderation.

2011 Vert - 416/w 230/236 .612/.602 115lsa, 1LE suspension w/32mm rear bar. Z28 diff. ZL1 brakes.
CamaroCracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 08:58 AM   #75
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2015 Malibu LTZ
In general almost any car made in this era will not see the ten fold values of the muscle cars from the golden Muscle Car era. I predict that in 25-30 years the collectors may look kindly towards 5th gens, but except for a one of one (a copo that's one of a kind) type of model, I highly doubt that the values will go ten times over the original sticker. I would consider it a good appreciation if one day a 5th genner may get a value equal to its original selling price; I'd say in 30-35 years.

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 09:02 AM   #76
lbls1

Quote:
Originally Posted by myold88 View Post
This discussion reminds me of when Cadillac announced the LAST '76 Eldorado convertible.
People bought them up as an investment. Between storage, insurance, maintenance, etc,
they lost money big time. Drive and enjoy your 5th gens guys.... Life is too short.
Excellent counter point. Even if a car appreciates, by the time you deduct the cost of storage, upkeep and maintenance (not including restoration costs), one would be hard pressed in seeing a net profit in owning a car over time. A car has to be valued in what it gives the owner and its admirers; Any residual value after this makes a nice compliment...like a free meal lol!

Old 06-04-2015, 09:05 AM   #77
MLL67RSSS
Account Suspended

Drives: car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Leader View Post
Rare != Valuable.
Not necessarily always. Good example is first gen Indy pace cars. The '67 production has been lost to history and often stated to be 100, but there are more on the registry than that. The majority of them were made for use at the track and a few dealers managed to order replicas. Might be around 200 of them.

The '67 proved so popular and many dealers were upset at missing out in '67, so Chevrolet actually created RPO Z-11 so anyone anywhere could go to any Chevy dealer and order a '69 Indy Pace Car Replica. There were 3,675 pace cars replicas made in '69. Very, very few of those were ever even near the Speedway unlike in '67.

So you'd think ~200 vs. 3675 would make the '67 more "valuable" but the '69 trumps them big time in popularity. There were more of them and they were all around the country and more people remember them. The absolute most common thing I hear when I say I have a '67 Camaro pace car is "Oh, the white and orange one?" Man if I had a dollar...

On average at auction the '69's kick the '67's butts, even with so few '67's made the popularity of the '69 drives the price.
Always exceptions!

Last edited by MLL67RSSS; 06-04-2015 at 09:15 AM.
MLL67RSSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 10:29 AM   #78
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLL67RSSS View Post
Not necessarily always. Good example is first gen Indy pace cars. The '67 production has been lost to history and often stated to be 100, but there are more on the registry than that. The majority of them were made for use at the track and a few dealers managed to order replicas. Might be around 200 of them.

The '67 proved so popular and many dealers were upset at missing out in '67, so Chevrolet actually created RPO Z-11 so anyone anywhere could go to any Chevy dealer and order a '69 Indy Pace Car Replica. There were 3,675 pace cars replicas made in '69. Very, very few of those were ever even near the Speedway unlike in '67.

So you'd think ~200 vs. 3675 would make the '67 more "valuable" but the '69 trumps them big time in popularity. There were more of them and they were all around the country and more people remember them. The absolute most common thing I hear when I say I have a '67 Camaro pace car is "Oh, the white and orange one?" Man if I had a dollar...

On average at auction the '69's kick the '67's butts, even with so few '67's made the popularity of the '69 drives the price.
Always exceptions!
I think you missed my point, I completely agree with you "!=" is a programming term meaning "not equal to". Sorry I deal with computing people so much sometimes I forget not everyone knows WTF that means.

Incidentally I had the opportunity to buy 1 of 6 1998 Trans Am WS6's in Purple, it was a factory color that was quickly discontinued and replaced with NBM because it didn't adhere properly to the cars. It was selling for less than the same car in any other color.... because in the end, its a Purple Trans Am!

Old 06-04-2015, 10:46 AM   #79
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroCracka View Post
You can take the conversation way past cars. What do guns cost? How much do people pay to hunt or fish. You know the old saying about boats in general, and all that is just some guy stuff. What about the cost of weddings? My daughter wanted me to pop $3600 plus so she could do cheerleading. Sorry but daddy needs a supercharger which will return $0 but lots of smiles.

You don't want to die broke, but it makes no sense to die with pile of cash after having not really lived. All things in moderation.
Strangely enough guns don't nearly depreciate the way cars do, as long as they are well maintained. Boats OTOH.... lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbls1 View Post
In general almost any car made in this era will not see the ten fold values of the muscle cars from the golden Muscle Car era. I predict that in 25-30 years the collectors may look kindly towards 5th gens, but except for a one of one (a copo that's one of a kind) type of model, I highly doubt that the values will go ten times over the original sticker. I would consider it a good appreciation if one day a 5th genner may get a value equal to its original selling price; I'd say in 30-35 years.
In reality its not appreciation, its depreciation still because the original selling price today, after inflation will be half of what the cash would be worth adjusted in 30 years. And that will never happen.

Old 06-04-2015, 10:55 AM   #80
MLL67RSSS
Account Suspended

Drives: car
Quote:
"!=" is a programming term meaning "not equal to". Sorry I deal with computing people so much sometimes I forget not everyone knows WTF that means.
Ahh, me no speak computer, me not even have cell phone.
Shall we delete?
MLL67RSSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 10:56 AM   #81
el ess A
Older Than Dirt

Drives: 2010 & 2013 Camaros
Cars = horrible investments 99.9% of the time.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=26108&dateline=142898  4774
el ess A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 11:20 AM   #82
lbls1

Quote:
Strangely enough guns don't nearly depreciate the way cars do, as long as they are well maintained. Boats OTOH.... lol

In reality its not appreciation, its depreciation still because the original selling price today, after inflation will be half of what the cash would be worth adjusted in 30 years. And that will never happen.
If the value of the car rises to a certain point then its appreciation. I agree that it will be hard pressed for that appreciation to double, triple or rise to a price point in the future that would equate to the adjustment factor for inflation; However it isn't impossible. We have already seen this with the Golden Oldie musle cars of the late sixties. I'm saying that it is very unlikely for cars of this era to see a multiple factor appreciation due in part to the glut of cars on the road, and the relative generic nature of cars. But.....then again, the v8 cars of today are hardly like all of the other cars. IMO modern v8 cars are special because of what they bring; The sound, feel, smell, and thrill of power, much like their predecessors of the late 1960s. Although its not impossible for the 5th gens to appreciate, I'm betting that they won't appreciate to the levels of the first gen Camaro SS and of the other muscle cars from the late sixties.

Old 06-04-2015, 03:06 PM   #83
cb66

Drives: 13 2SS/RS HWSE Camaro # 959
Who thought that back in the day that the 1960s muscle cars would be worth what they are today? These cars sold used thru the 1970s for practically nothing. Look what they go for today.
Roto Fab CAI, Flowmaster American Thunder series exhaust , Elite Engineering catch can, Range AFM delete ,Oracle LED side marker lights ,Plasma LED DRL Lights & harness, LED License Plate bulbs, Xpel Ultimate paint protection film.
cb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 03:12 PM   #84
elektrik

Drives: 2012 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis View Post
elektrik is offline   Reply With Quote