Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 06-04-2015, 11:17 PM   #15
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
DONT LISTEN TO THE MOBIL ONE GROUPIES sure if its stock go there and drink the factory cool aid... Once you modify your engine to use a high lift cam and set of springs to go with it, you have just made it into a cammed racing engine that needs not only better oil but the best. The best I found through research is driven racing ls30, and for breaking in ...br30.

Oh and a comparison for you: from amsoil: about off the shelf 5-30 ...and which suck harder.... http://www.amsoil.com/lit/g3115.pdf and done independently which does seem to make some mobil one fans butt hurt...... you see it comes in dead last for wear and about that for engine deposits.... Not that I use amsoil, I do not believe in just changing oil every ten thousand miles but its pretty good, I order in oil with the best sheer to not make the roller not roll but drag a cam to death, and with a lot of ZDDP for the stuff they take out of mainstream oils now..

..and if your in the know they are going to do reformulations of oil again in 2017 same time CAFE standards hit....and then there are supposed to be two major types of oil, one that's ok for your car and one you don't want to touch, and then there will be the specialty oils which buck the old hot rod engine running low zddp crap that it has become.

Read some bulletins and testimonials at driven racing, they are the bomb and the one oil that places insist you use....as in its double break in of a engine .....oil is included in the price of any new engine you get from Texas Speed and Performance, 16 qts of br30. Not that haters will not hate me for saying this but hey its made for our engines, not just any engine and its recommended by god and every maker of parts you can imagine.....
Old 06-04-2015, 11:21 PM   #16
Pushrod Pete

Drives: Camaro 1LE
amsoil
Pushrod Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 11:52 PM   #17
amz
Factory Correct

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
I prefer a 3-3-1 mix of lion blood , hippie tears and bull semen.
amz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 06:21 AM   #18
Denis

Drives: 2010 SS
I usually run Mobile 1 but really ive never had an issue running anything else. Ive run Royal purple as well. Basically ill bounce between whatever is on sale.
Old 06-05-2015, 06:58 AM   #19
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
I go by the recommendations in the Owner's Manual and change my oil and filter every 5,000 miles. There are many excellent oils out there and price vary a bit. I use Pennzoil 5W-30 Synthetic Blend and a Fram TG10060 filter. Many here will say the Fram filter is junk, and some of the lower end ones may be, but the Tough Guard series meets or exceeds manufacturing specs and I have never had an issue.

From the manual:

Use only engine oil licensed to the dexos1 specfication, or equivalent, of the proper SAE viscosity grade. ACDelco dexos1 Synthetic Blend is recommended.
Use and ask for licensed engine oils with the dexos1® approved certification mark. Engine oils meeting the requirements for the
vehicle should have the dexos1 approved certification mark. This certification mark indicates that the oil has been approved to the dexos1 specification.
SAE 5W-30 is the best viscosity grade for the vehicle. Do not use other viscosity grade oils such as SAE 10W-30, 10W-40, or 20W-50.

2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 07:32 AM   #20
ClawSS
High-tech Redneck

Drives: '10 CGM SS, '02 2500HD, '09 300SRT8

Schaeffer Oil: #9003D Supreme 9000™ Full Synthetic SAE 5W-30

#9003 Supreme 9000™ Full Synthetic SAE 5W-30 is recommended for use in all gasoline fueled automobile and light duty truck engines including those that are turbocharged and supercharged. #9003 is API SN, Resource Conserving, ILSAC GF-5 and GM dexos-1™ Compliant.

9003D-td.pdf

2010 CGM L99 2SS/RS - GPI SS3 VVT, BTR DoD Delete, Circle D 4c, BTR springs, Katech C5R Timing Chain, MRR-228 315/275, CAI, Elite catch-can, TSP 1 7/8" Headers + offroad pipes, Magnaflow 3", Pfadt springs, BMR LCAs, toelinks, trailing arms, cradle bushings, & sway bars w/ endlinks, Vitesse paddles, heritage grille, and an eBay splitter. Power upgrades by Race Proven Perf.; Tuning by ShorTuning.
ClawSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 07:36 AM   #21
WoodBoss
"Old School"

Drives: 2010 2SS L99
I change my oil (Amsoil) every 5000 miles, just because it says you can go 10,000 miles doesn't mean you have to. It's the same cost as Mobil1 as well. it's Dexos Compliant as well.
WoodBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 07:44 AM   #22
Criticalmass

Drives: 2014 Ford Mustang GT Premium
Unicorn Blood.

Seriously,

I just go a step above factory recommended. Full Synthetic Motorcraft, with a Ford Racing filter (higher flow, better made, holds onto more particulate matter than the standard motorcraft filters). -- I know this is a Camaro forum but plenty of people use Motorcraft in non-Ford vehicles as well, believe it or not.

As long as GM approves it and your car is not too heavily modified, whatever GM recommends should be good. Once you start modifying, you will need something more high-end. Also, I could be wrong but I believe GM recommends the first 500 mile oil change on Corvettes be done free at the dealership using Mobile 1. If that tells you anything.

Mobile 1 changed its base stock a few years back so it's not really a full synthetic anymore, but it is still a good oil. I haven't had a problem with oil sludging the internals in 35 years or so. We had a Nissan 200SX back in the 80's and it didn't like Pennzoil. The stuff used to sludge up the internals something awful. Haven't used it since then. On the whole, I think people tend to weight the scales with more concern over oil type when they should be giving equal concern to filters as well.

One thing though. It's really not a good idea to change brands. sometimes what's left over in the internals doesn't mix well with the new oil you are putting in. The additives may not react well to each other. It's best to select a brand and stick with it.

www.bobistheoilguy.com ---> might help you make the choice that is right for you.

Last edited by Criticalmass; 06-05-2015 at 07:56 AM.
Criticalmass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 07:56 AM   #23
TIREKLR

Drives: 2015 zl1
THIS...
Attached Images

TIREKLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 08:04 AM   #24
WoodBoss
"Old School"

Drives: 2010 2SS L99
Beaver Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIREKLR View Post
THIS...
I'll have to admit that Beaver oil is the best, I try to check it as often as possible !!! LOL
WoodBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 08:07 AM   #25
TIREKLR

Drives: 2015 zl1
Anyone who does warranty oil changes still ( the 2 years free ones) what oil does the dealer use? I ask and was told mobile 1 because the tech guy had a meltdown that I wanted to change my oil at 1500 miles the first time and Said I was wasting good oil then when I actually got there to have it changed they told me my car gets dexos. Then I was told I could upgrade to mobile 1 but it was $90 so I say ok I will pay the difference it's worth it to me,he tells me no you have to pay the full amount. Has anyone else ran across this? I would think they would honor the cost of the dexos oil change and let me pay the difference but no.He says the zl1 and corvette use mobile 1 but not my engine.
TIREKLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 08:20 AM   #26
two_wheel_mayhem
Would rather be riding

Drives: No car no more
I like snake oil the best, you can find it at the dealership, the Amsoil conventions, Lucas reps sell it as well.

Snake oil doesn't void your warranty if you buy it at the dealer, if you buy it anywhere else you are on your own I guess.
Old 06-05-2015, 08:23 AM   #27
CamaroCracka

Drives: 2010 Turbo LS3

2011 Vert - 416/w 230/236 .612/.602 115lsa, 1LE suspension w/32mm rear bar. Z28 diff. ZL1 brakes.
CamaroCracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 09:12 AM   #28
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
This is the most loaded question at every car forum, I can only give you my experience.

I have been running Mobil 1 in every performance car I have owned for more than 15 years. I also run it in my trucks, and I even ran it in my race car. All my street vehicles have had 0 wear issues, the oil always comes out clean, never any pressure issues or anything like that. Not only GM but Porsche and many other high end manufacturers factory fill with it. Are there better oils? probably, but anyone who tells you its junk is reading the website of someone whos interest is in selling them more expensive oil.

Now I'll tell you about my experience running the oil in my race car. We no longer run Mobil 1 because of some issues we had, but the fact it held up as a street oil is remarkable. We never had any wear issues at all and the motor is still as tight as the day it was built, but after a day of racing (read 8 hours at 5800 rpms 80% of the time) it would start to get too thin and would cause the motor to run hotter and it would not keep up the pressure. We switched to running Redline race oil which corrected that issue, but is NOT NOT NOT recommended for the street. The fact the Mobil 1 lasted is a testament to its quality. We finished races on it and the issue was not so pronounced in colder weather.

GM recommends Mobil 1, the oil life monitor is tuned to it. Use it with either a Mobil 1 M1-113 filter or the AC Delco PF48. You can't go wrong.
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD LT 6.0 - Tow Vehicle
1991 Alfa Romeo 164S - Project Car
1994 Volkswagen Golf - Race Car

"Like" my race team on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/farfrumwinnin
Rogue Leader is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camaro5