Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 08-08-2015, 02:55 PM   #1
caper

Drives: 2010 IOM 2ss/RS
fg400 and a microfiber pad?

so last detail I used the adams orange pad and menzerna fg400. I found that it took out a lot of marks, but left allot as well. I made multiple passes and even did some areas 2x. I was expecting a bit better...so now I am thinking on getting a new microfiber pad (adams I think) and trying again soon. anyone see any possible issues?
Turbonetics running 8lbs boost at 700rwhp tuned by Hi Rev, installed by K&M w/cat-muffler delete, ACS splitter, Fesler GFX, MPD1 spoiler, Custom painted Rally stripes, Cordon CR1 wheels 275/315s, Hotchkiss comp sways and end links, Barton shifter
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 05:30 PM   #2
Joe M 2012 2SS

Drives: 2012 2SS
I haven't used FG 400 but it has a very good level of cut. If it wasn't finishing down well, it's possible your machine speed was too slow, arm speed too fast, or it was under or overworked.

Cleaning your polishing pad regularly has a big impact on how well the compound finishes down too, as well as changing to a new pad once the pores become clogged with spent product and paint residue.

A microfiber pad will give you a higher level of cut. I haven't used Adams, I'm sure they are good. I've used Megs DMC and had good results with them.

Do a section and check your work. If your getting the results you want, proceed. Compressed air is the best and easiest way to clean microfiber cutting pads. You can also use a pad brush. Clean your pad at least every 2 sections. When you see diminished results after cleaning it's time to change to a new pad.

If you only have light defects, Carpro Reflect on a Tangerine LC Hydrotech pad works very well.

It's not uncommon for compounds to leave light marring or haze on the paint. A good finishing polish like the Reflect will clean these up and leave you with a defect free (except RIDS) finish.

Roto-Fab intake, SW 1 7/8" LT w/hi flow cats, Flowmaster outlaw exhaust, UDP, 160* stat, Circle D 3200, Moroso catch can, TCI line lock, Zex Nitrous 125 shot, 3.91 gear, Eaton True-trac, DSS 1000hp axles.

Last edited by Joe M 2012 2SS; 08-08-2015 at 05:59 PM.
Joe M 2012 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 08:58 PM   #3
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Drives: #198
Couple things:

1) You probably don't need that aggressive of a pad. Having used FG400 with a lot of combinations, I think you would be well off using it in conjuction with a polishing FOAM pad. You'll probably get as much cut as you need and as much finishing as you need to one step your car. That's what I did for mine as it was not in too bad condition.

2) You mentioned A pad. As in one. I don't know if you are using more pads or not, but MF pads definitely clog up very fast and I only would use it on 2-3 panels max before switching to a fresh new pad. They're reusable, you just have to wash them and dry them first. I'd recommend getting at least 3-4 if you plan on still using the microfiber pad.

Please check out my youtube detailing channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/roshan517

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you will be successful."
ihaveacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote