Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Garage / Tools Discussions

Old 01-13-2012, 02:27 PM   #15
Drew10
Enjoys a good train wreck

Drives: 2010 IBM Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakersftbl69 View Post
Id rather Canada then china everything's made in china now it's horrible
+1
Drew10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 02:31 PM   #16
midnighter
Account Suspended

Drives: nothing
Vise Grips are also now manufactered in China. I still have my 3 made in the USA pliers by Vise Grip.
midnighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 03:27 PM   #17
Synner

Drives: cars
Got a craftsman 7 piece pliers set last month; 4 made in USA, 3 made in China. A shame because their hand tools have usually stayed high quality while their power tools have gotten worse and worse over the last 10-15 years.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 12:30 AM   #18
Wizard1183

Drives: ABM SS2/RS M6
Send a message via Yahoo to Wizard1183
No Craftsman Pro is still USA made. Taiwan tools are pretty decent tools even if they ARE made overseas. Most fo them anyway. Problem with Chinese tools is that the steel or the tool is made cheap therefore wears quicker. Sockets round out ect. But still have tools made in US for a decent price. I bought an 18pc Williams metric wrench set for 100$ on ebay. Thats a $300 set. Someone stole 2 of the wrenches out before he sent it off to me and replaced em with 2 used wrenches and threw in 2 more wrenches like a 25 & 27mm. I had no prob as they were all good. I have snap on tools as well, but I refuse to buy much snap on because theyre WAYYY overrated. Damn good tools, but the price is rediculous. Look for Mac or even Blue point isnt bad which is Taiwan made. I have 2 pnuematictools, snap on and blue point. Both work great! And were bought used. Id search eBay first. You can find some great deals if youre looking for a specific tool. SK wrenches are great as well. I dont have to have a mechanics tool set to do the job, as long as I have the right tools for the job. If need be Ill go buy that one tool I need. Not an entire set. Buy what YOU need and youll be better off than those with $50,000 snap on tool boxes that dont even use 50% of the tools in them.

Life is short, drive it like you stole it!
Wizard1183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 12:35 AM   #19
calbert1999
Camaro SS Lover

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black IOM
I prefer made in Canada, but I would encourage any business to operate whereever they can to make profit if that's in China so be it, learn Mandarin and go make some mo'neh.
calbert1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 01:22 AM   #20
driyac

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCamaroSS View Post
This really is a moot point. The majority of the components and material for vehicles doesn't come from Canada or the US. The vehicle is assembled utilizing outsourced materials.

The US and the World is really in an odd ball situation regarding global economics. While many would like and need the manufacturing jobs the Chinese produce, the standard of living would be considered unbearable to the average US citizen. Not because it's hard or demanding work but because the pay would have to be commensurate with that of a Chinese worker, which is very little. Why does it work for them? They haven't been fully indoctrinated with material goods and services like American consumers (although they are exploding in this fashion). So their paycheck goes to the essential needs for the family, forgoing things we take granted for everyday.

So, trying to bring back the jobs while still adhering to child labor laws, mandated overtime, insurance and other neccessary elements of a post modern society is very hard to do unless you're ok with paying $1000 for a pair of sneakers.

Also, regarding the environmental aspect. The major cities and industrial complexes in China have the air quality of a wood stove burning wet wood. Not good.
Having lived in china, I can tell you that china is due for a revolution within the next 15 years which will destroy the world economy. The yuan is fixed currently and this is the reason the Chinese can pay so little. Everything costs 1/8 there than what it is here. Also workers rights mean nothing there.

Also wet stove, is incorrect. More like living in a cloud of diesel smoke.

6 months in china I lost 50 pounds and felt as if I aged 10 years. Infact I lost a large portion of hairline. Haha
driyac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 02:09 AM   #21
iHasCamaro

Drives: Silver 2012 1SS
It's not Sears' fault. It's all the "free trade" agreements that don't have tarrifs to encourage the source country to change it's working conditions. If you make something illegal or prohibitively expensive here, while your competition is doing that very thing overseas, you can't compete. It's bullshit..
iHasCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 09:22 AM   #22
BOSS_HOSS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscle SS View Post
Did we all forget our cars are made in Canadia? How can we call craftsman a sellout while on a forum for cars that were outsourced to Canadia?
That comment is just plain ignorant, excellent spelling however...the education system in NY must be top notch.
2010 2SS/RS 1 7/8" Long Tube American Racing Headers w/high flow cats, Borla S-Type Catback Exhaust, Roto-Fab CAI, VMAX Ported Throttle Body, MGW Shifter, JRE 445 Street Cam Package tuned via SCT, Pedders Street 1 Kit.
BOSS_HOSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 01:31 PM   #23
Kmorpheus
Account Suspended

Drives: Green Dream Machine
Just have to start buying Harbor Frieght and replacing the tools every other job. Would most likely be money ahead until I ruin something or get hurt when the damn tool breaks.
Kmorpheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 08:40 PM   #24
iHasCamaro

Drives: Silver 2012 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOSS_HOSS View Post
That comment is just plain ignorant, excellent spelling however...the education system in NY must be top notch.
It's common to say "Canadia" as a light-hearted sarcastic jab at our neighbors to the north.
iHasCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 08:43 PM   #25
mws444

Drives: 701 RWHP Lingenfelter/Pedders Beast
As an owner of a manufacturing plant here in the US, I can tell you it is tough. I have t pay an hour more than a Chinese worker makes a week.
CCW 505t's Nitto Invo's and DR's
Beware of the LPE Brotherhood!
mws444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 10:03 PM   #26
Nessal

Drives: Exige, Miata, Ghia
Quote:
Originally Posted by driyac View Post
Having lived in china, I can tell you that china is due for a revolution within the next 15 years which will destroy the world economy. The yuan is fixed currently and this is the reason the Chinese can pay so little. Everything costs 1/8 there than what it is here. Also workers rights mean nothing there.

Also wet stove, is incorrect. More like living in a cloud of diesel smoke.

6 months in china I lost 50 pounds and felt as if I aged 10 years. Infact I lost a large portion of hairline. Haha

The real question is how the hell do they all still look like they are in their teens when they are in their 30's and 40's. WTFFF?!!?!?
Nessal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 10:09 PM   #27
driyac

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nessal View Post
The real question is how the hell do they all still look like they are in their teens when they are in their 30's and 40's. WTFFF?!!?!?

Genetics.... I not only towered over everyone, I was also way bigger.

@ 275lbs at 6'1"- College athlete so I am your different Size. I was always being watched by everyone. Kind of Creepy.

I love the country and would love to live there again.
driyac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 10:26 PM   #28
John@AutoAgenda

Drives: 2004 GTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAUL SS View Post
Might as well just go to Harbor Freight tools from now on.
Especially if they won't keep their warranty any more. Would be cheaper in the long run.

With China manipulating it's currency the way it is we are literally giving them billions upon billions of dollars to rebuild their country in ways we should be doing to ours.
John@AutoAgenda is offline   Reply With Quote