Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Texas

Old 10-09-2016, 09:28 AM   #1
Taco Time

Drives: 2014 1SS
San Antonio Area Shop Recommendations

Got a heavily modified Camaro in the San Antonio area needing at least an oil pump replaced. What are the recommended shops there?

Prefer shops familiar with very high horsepower turbo cars.
Taco Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 10:24 PM   #2
RaycinSS

Drives: 2015 Camaro Z/28
Go see Corey Henderson at Henderson Performance in New Braunfels. He is the man when it comes to Corvettes and Camaros. He knows his stuff.
RaycinSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 11:12 PM   #3
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco Time View Post
Got a heavily modified Camaro in the San Antonio area needing at least an oil pump replaced. What are the recommended shops there?

Prefer shops familiar with very high horsepower turbo cars.
Coreys is the only shop that works on my car. Other than alignment stuff...

Henderson Performance Technology...

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 10:32 PM   #4
jc615
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro and Sierra
I spoke with Corey and he was a dick and putting me down for wanting to stick with vvt. Maybe he knows his stuff but I'll never take my car there.
jc615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 11:00 PM   #5
RaycinSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc615 View Post
I spoke with Corey and he was a dick and putting me down for wanting to stick with vvt. Maybe he knows his stuff but I'll never take my car there.
I don't know you from Adam but I know Corey personally and his work for almost 20 years now. He's well known by hundreds of people nationwide from the performance enthusiasts all the way to execs at the car manufacturers. He has a great reputation and it's well deserved. Not once have any of them leveled an accusation like you just did. There's obviously more to this story you aren't telling.

Bottom line is this, anyone that knows Corey knows that this probably did not happen but in the very rare case that any part of what you say is true and he was a "d. k" to you I can assure you that you deserved it many times over. The fact you would jump on the forum and state it the way you have only reinforces my statement
Old 10-11-2016, 11:13 PM   #6
jc615
Account Suspended

So you were there when I talked to him? Pretty sure he talked down to me the entire time about how Vvt was dumb and he guaranteed I would make more power with cam of his choice without knowing any specs of cam I was looking at or what was installed on my car. This is the story. After the way he talked to me I would never go back. You have your experiences and I have mine
Old 10-11-2016, 11:32 PM   #7
RaycinSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc615 View Post
So you were there when I talked to him? Pretty sure he talked down to me the entire time about how Vvt was dumb and he guaranteed I would make more power with cam of his choice without knowing any specs of cam I was looking at or what was installed on my car. This is the story. After the way he talked to me I would never go back. You have your experiences and I have mine
Agreed that we both have our experiences and certainly you have the right not to spend your money with him. Freedom is a wonderful thing none of us should ever take for granted.

That being said, vvt on these cars is known by almost anyone to be a hindrance and I assure you he could back his guarantee about making more power with a cam of his choice. He has the experience, the knowledge, and the dyno to back it up. By your own admission he gave you solid advice that can be backed up, but it sounds like it wasn't what you wanted to hear. Don't be upset at Corey for being smart enough to know he can fix cars but can't fix stupid.
Old 10-12-2016, 06:37 AM   #8
jc615
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaycinSS View Post
Agreed that we both have our experiences and certainly you have the right not to spend your money with him. Freedom is a wonderful thing none of us should ever take for granted.

That being said, vvt on these cars is known by almost anyone to be a hindrance and I assure you he could back his guarantee about making more power with a cam of his choice. He has the experience, the knowledge, and the dyno to back it up. By your own admission he gave you solid advice that can be backed up, but it sounds like it wasn't what you wanted to hear. Don't be upset at Corey for being smart enough to know he can fix cars but can't fix stupid.
You prove again that you will blindly back him up with no facts about my situation. It doesn't matter what you think when results have proven VVT is the technology of the future and filled the sbe 1/4 top 10 list. Calling something hindrance because you don't understand it is narrow minded.

Why you can't seem to understand that you have no horse in this race I don't know. This is my last reply to you as I don't ask you for info on my car and never take my car to you unless you're Corey trying to post about yourself.
Old 10-12-2016, 08:41 AM   #9
CTHenderson

Drives: 1991 ZR-1 Corvette.
I thank you for supporting me Ray, but I have to admit I probably did hurt his feelings a little. From what I can recall about that conversation, guy walks in and wants to talk about installing a VVT camshaft in his camaro, wants to know cost, and says that the cam he's looking at would require fly cutting the pistons. So to help fill in some blanks, I start asking questions about the setup. I think there was mention of changing the gears to a numerically higher setup, and changing to a 4200-4400rpm stall converter. So I then started asking why run a VVT camshaft with all the extra cost associated with fly cutting the pistons and keeping the somewhat questionable VVT cam gear/actuator in the car when there are so many more camshaft options that didn't require all that extra work, that have proven lob designs not limited by the presence of the articulating cam gear. The focus then shifted to how the VVT cam makes more power at lower rpm than a big traditional camshaft. So when I pointed out that the lowest rpm he would ever see at wot would be 4200-4400, in first gear only, why would low rpm power/torque be a concern. So when I supported my argument using logic and the physics of the situation (which is where I admit I was a bit passionate with regards to the physics), I could tell I had crushed his entire plan. For that, I do apologize. My intent was to save him money, and lord knows how much time, by adjusting his combination to accentuate the power where he would need it most, and not compromise with a limited cam lobe option, just to strengthen the power band where his combination would never operate.

So for the TL,DR guys, yes, I hurt his feelings, not because I was an A$$hole, but because using the laws of physics as they apply on the surface of planet Earth, I suggested a combination shift that was less expensive and would perform better, but didn’t fit his ideas.
CTHenderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 08:48 AM   #10
Dmpsix

Drives: Black L99 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaycinSS View Post

VVT on these cars is known by almost anyone to be a hindrance?

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21013

I'd like to think that the quarter-mile fast list would like to disagree with you there. Don't you just hate it when facts get in the way of talking out of your arse?

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=257819

VVT is proven, Corey may be as well, but don't sit there and tell me VVT is no good.
Dmpsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 09:10 AM   #11
CTHenderson

Just to be clear, I never said there wasn't a place for VVT or that it was stupid. I simply suggested that the combination as a whole wouldn't be able to take advantage of the benefits VVT provides as much as it would the advantages of a strong high rpm grind camshaft.
Old 10-12-2016, 09:12 AM   #12
Dmpsix

Drives: Black L99 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTHenderson View Post
Just to be clear, I never said there wasn't a place for VVT or that it was stupid. I simply suggested that the combination as a whole wouldn't be able to take advantage of the benefits VVT provides as much as it would the advantages of a strong high rpm grind camshaft.
Nah you know your stuff, I've spoke with you, you have a Bachelor's in Mechanical Engineering, if you told me that a v6 engine would work better in my SS because it weighed less and I'd get more performance out of it, I wouldn't question it or your knowledge lol.

My post was directed at the other guy who said VVT was a "known hindrance" which is far from the truth.
Dmpsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 09:19 AM   #13
CTHenderson

It all comes down to the combination, and from a broad spectrum view of the car not just an under the hood view. I was simply trying to provide that perspective, and inadvertently upset someone. NOT my intention, and for that I do apologize.
Thank you for the props, I do appreciate it.
Old 11-15-2016, 04:07 PM   #14
Mike2ss
Airborne Pathfinder

Drives: Camaro ZL575
sounds like a pretty good businessman to me.