Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 02-15-2015, 09:06 AM   #1
mbowen89

Drives: 2015 CRT 2SS/RS 1LE
Is this the car for me? Please help!

Right now I have a 2014 v6 1LT, 6k miles. I bought it a year ago and thought it was the greatest car on earth coming from owning a Cobalt LS.
At that time I thought the V6 was more car than I'd ever need, mostly thinking about top speed is high as a V8 would take me just hitting triple digits. I really thought I'd want to own this for years and years. However, slowly over the year I've realized how much better the acceleration in a V8 must be, and its the only way I'm going to be thrown back in my seat and feel real power. I've started my own business and I'm doing pretty well which is what even enables me the possibility to upgrade.

The reason why I'm contemplating the 1LE is because I like the color scheme it would give a red car... this is beautiful to me:

I like some of the other things other than color like the 3.91 gears etc, however I am not a track guy. I've thought about just getting the 2SS without the 1LE, but I don't get the black wheels, spoiler, hood, gears, etc.

I live in Indiana and feel like it's only summer 1/3 of the year, so if I did get the 1LE, would I be able to sell the stock tires unused easily and buy a really good set of all seasons?

I work at home, and mainly drive a minivan since its mostly family outings, haha.

I'd really like some help on figuring this out, I don't want to make another "mistake" purchase, although my income is what's opened up new possibilities so I guess it's just life's circumstances at play.

Thanks for any insight!

-Michael
mbowen89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 09:27 AM   #2
Bad@ssCamaro
BeckyD Rocks :-)

Drives: 2015 1SS/1LE
I'm sure a lot of people will chime in and say "Go for it", myself included. With your current Camaro, it would function more of a DD then the SS/1LE in your weather climate. Though the it is capable as a DD, you would find those many longs months of not being able to drive it exacerbating....unless you put on a set of winter tires and wheels (like I'm doing) and only drive it on those days that the roads are clear.

I think you will also find that when you are sinking thousands of dollars into mods, you might find yourself enough reasons to not drive it during the loooooooooooooooooong winter months. The problem usually comes in when the snowbanks get high enough and your visibility becomes even more limited and, though the car does stand out, you could be placing yourself more at risk from other drivers.

I would also argue the point that, if nothing else, it would be a good learning experience as to discovering what your limitations are when it comes to driving a high performance vehicle during said winter months.

Great choice in colors by the way

Bad@ssCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 09:56 AM   #3
SSMY1LE

Drives: '14 1LE RS NPP Recaro
1LE is a great, fun car that you don't have to use on the track to enjoy. I bet a very small % of owners will ever track their car.
That being said, you're going to get lots of recommendations on options to order.
For what it worth, the things I would say are a MUST GET would be:
1. Recaro seats
2. NPP exhaust
3. RS (even if its just for the cool front and rear lights)

As far as 1SS or 2SS, color, sunroof, NAV etc. they are all personal preferences that only you can decide on.

Good Luck, not an easy choice but one you'll never regret !!
Old 02-15-2015, 09:58 AM   #4
Ryanbabz71

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue 1SS 1LE
If you end up buying and selling the tires let me know. I might be interested. I am also in indiana.

Ryan
Ryanbabz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 02:04 PM   #5
mbowen89

Drives: 2015 CRT 2SS/RS 1LE
I plan on getting a fully loaded 2SS, why should I get the recaro seats though?

Since I work from home and normally drive the family vehicle most of the time, it won't be too hard just driving under nicer winter conditions, and I'll definitely buy all season tires.

Ryan, where are you in Indiana, and what exact camaro build do you have?
mbowen89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 02:24 PM   #6
Bizaro
Account Suspended

Drives: 2015 Redhot 1LE
Buy the car you took a picture of! If it doesnt have recaros its fine I dont have them either and not complaining. Keep the stock wheels/tire combo it makes the car THAT much more fun, buy a set of shitty wheels+winter tires for winter and youre good to go if you're apprehensive of doing that just think of it as an investment since both sets of tires will last TWICE as long. If the car you want to buy is the one you took a photo off I suggest you run into the dealership asap and buy it. Good luck.

TLDR:
1. Is the car you want to buy in the photo? If so buy car asap
2. Dont need recaros.
3. Dont sell wheels+tires
4. Buy cheap wheels+good winter tires.
5. Enjoy the car its the best thing for 40grand.
Bizaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 02:35 PM   #7
Ryanbabz71

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbowen89 View Post
I plan on getting a fully loaded 2SS, why should I get the recaro seats though?

Since I work from home and normally drive the family vehicle most of the time, it won't be too hard just driving under nicer winter conditions, and I'll definitely buy all season tires.

Ryan, where are you in Indiana, and what exact camaro build do you have?

Central indiana

2012 2SS convertible

Ryan
Ryanbabz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 02:46 PM   #8
kinematic11
patiently waiting my turn

Drives: 2013 SS RS 1LE
I agree that the recaros are a must and the NPP is a must, the RS i think is personal preference

i have yet to find the right one, i had the opportunity to get a used black one three times and i waited too long ad here i sit, still wanting one and wishing i had one

if you can afford one, get it, cause there are a ton of us whom would buy your used one if ever you decide to sell it. if your are in the slightest doubt of that, try to find a used one just sitting around they go quick
1984 trans am
kinematic11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 02:47 PM   #9
kinematic11
patiently waiting my turn

Drives: 2013 SS RS 1LE
so with that said, will somebody sell me their black 1LE ?
1984 trans am
kinematic11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 02:50 PM   #10
Bizaro
Account Suspended

just buy a black v6 and mod it to look like a 1le it seems its all the rage on the forums nowadays.
Old 02-15-2015, 02:58 PM   #11
ba2ss

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS M6
if you're wanting something fast why are you getting the 1LE vs the SS or is your decision based just solely off the 1LE looks?

not saying the 1LE is slow, but isn't the gears in the SS better for straight line performance?
ba2ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 03:00 PM   #12
Bizaro
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by ba2ss View Post
if you're wanting something fast why are you getting the 1LE vs the SS or is your decision based just solely off the 1LE looks?

not saying the 1LE is slow, but isn't the gears in the SS better for straight line performance?
Yes regular SS a tad bit faster on a straight line while 1le ALOT faster on the track I think the choice is easy.
Old 02-15-2015, 03:00 PM   #13
SSMY1LE

Drives: '14 1LE RS NPP Recaro
Recaros are definitely a great feature. Very comfortable and look amazing ! For the price of the upgrade its well worth it in a 1SS. If you go with a 2SS I would think a little more about it as it then has nice leather seats already.
I went 1SS with Recaros and then added the BA sound and back up camera for about half of the 2SS difference. I know the HUD is cool but I had to draw the line somewhere.

Its your car, buy what you want !!
Old 02-15-2015, 03:04 PM   #14
ba2ss

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizaro View Post
Yes regular SS a tad bit faster on a straight line while 1le ALOT faster on the track I think the choice is easy.
good to know, he says he's "not a track guy" so does it make sense to pay extra for 1LE goodies?
ba2ss is offline   Reply With Quote