Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 10-25-2012, 03:05 PM   #15
CamaroKevin

Drives: 2011 Chevy Camaro 2LT RS SIM
Happy Birthday/congrats! Go with the Camaro since you seem more enthusiastic about it. It all depends on what you want. Sometimes you have to make concessions to get what you really want.
Go on your parents insurance and you'll pay less. Also see if your insurance company offers additional discounts. I know mine allowed me good student discount through high school and college as well as a safe driver discount for watching a dvd and keeping a log for 3 days. Many will tell you, but keep to the speed limit and stay safe on the road. Accidents or tickets @16 will be a killer.
Good luck with your choice!

Posted from Camaro5.com App for Android
CamaroKevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 03:06 PM   #16
RollaMo

Drives: 2017 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stack4 View Post
Thanks for your comments everyone. My cousin who had a Cobalt SS was the primary driver on his family's Silverado, which saved them money. So even if the insurance companies didn't know who drove what in your family, having a fast car would make the insurance higher for a teenager?

There are a lot of variables when it comes to insurance rates.

You didn't say if your male or female.
Fact: Insurance rates for male will be more than females.

Also, it really isn't so much about the Camaro being a fast car.
But more about statistics. The fact is, there are probably more insurance claims turned in from Camaro drivers than Cruze drivers.

Insurance rates are not based on how safe you are (for the most part anyway).
But on the average claim cost for your car type, age group, location, etc.

Give your insurance agent a call, and ask them to give you some quotes on different vehicles to get an idea.
2015 Harley Davidson Ultra Limited
RollaMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 03:06 PM   #17
DRKS1D3

Drives: '17 Corvette Grand Sport M7
There are too many variables in play here for anybody to even speculate. Even if you're put onto your parents' insurance, are they good drivers, how much insurance do they have on each vehicle (etc., etc)? Besides the insurance, where do you live? If it snows, you may as well forget about the Camaro. Rear wheel drive vehicles, light in the ass-end don't do well in the rain, let alone a snow storm. Are you responsible? (tough to ask a 16 year old, they know it all ). Getting into a Camaro with your friends and them telling you to "let 'er rip" could get you all killed. It's less likely your buddies will tell you to "holeshot" a Cruze. Too many variables. I know if I were the parent, the first thing I'd run through my head is "is he/she responsible enought to handle this?".

**SOLD**2011 TRIPLE BLACK SS CONVERTIBLE--6 SPEED MANUAL, MANY MODS, 455 RWHP/435 RWTQ

DAD'S RIDE: 2012 ZL1 #1866--BLACK, 6 SPEED MANUAL, EXPOSED CF HOOD, POLISHED WHEELS, SUNROOF, ROTO-FAB INTAKE

"Silly Americans, taking from the rich and giving to the poor only works in fairy tales. Success is earned here!".
DRKS1D3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 03:09 PM   #18
Stack4

Drives: 2014 SW 2LT/RS M6
Well, we have full coverage on a 1999 Sierra, 2007 Cobalt SS S/C, and a 2010 CTS-V. We live in southern Illinois, about ten minutes from St. Louis. I am a male. The good student discount would help. One of the main reasons why my parents are buying me a new car is my grades. I would say I'm pretty responsible
Stack4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 03:10 PM   #19
TastyBake

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT/RS Black
They can get a quote online of how much it will cost to add.

But strongly recommend neither. Get a used car so you can get used to the responsibility and wouldn't have to worry about scratching it.

You can get a REALLY cool 3+ yr old car loaded with much lower insurance than a new car thats just a base model. A loaded car is much more fun.

BTW:
Guys, I recommend not making assumptions. 16 yr old doesn't automatically mean irresponsible, spoiled, etc. Each person is different.
TastyBake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 03:12 PM   #20
camaroitalia
Go Harder Than Baltimore!

Drives: 2010 CGM
When i first bought my camaro, my mother put it in her name so the insurance was not that high
Old 10-25-2012, 03:14 PM   #21
Stack4

I tried bringing up to my parents a GTO. My dad is completely against buying used cars. My dad works for GM and we have a GM MasterCard with like $5k on it towards a new car. I just did the Build your own thing on the Chevy website, the Cruze is only $800 less with the RS package and a sunroof.
Old 10-25-2012, 03:24 PM   #22
DRKS1D3

Drives: '17 Corvette Grand Sport M7
Quote:
Originally Posted by TastyBake View Post
They can get a quote online of how much it will cost to add.

But strongly recommend neither. Get a used car so you can get used to the responsibility and wouldn't have to worry about scratching it.

You can get a REALLY cool 3+ yr old car loaded with much lower insurance than a new car thats just a base model. A loaded car is much more fun.

BTW:
Guys, I recommend not making assumptions. 16 yr old doesn't automatically mean irresponsible, spoiled, etc. Each person is different.
I haven't read one comment that alluded to any of these. Pretty helpful thread for the youngster if you ask me.

**SOLD**2011 TRIPLE BLACK SS CONVERTIBLE--6 SPEED MANUAL, MANY MODS, 455 RWHP/435 RWTQ

DAD'S RIDE: 2012 ZL1 #1866--BLACK, 6 SPEED MANUAL, EXPOSED CF HOOD, POLISHED WHEELS, SUNROOF, ROTO-FAB INTAKE

"Silly Americans, taking from the rich and giving to the poor only works in fairy tales. Success is earned here!".
DRKS1D3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 03:27 PM   #23
Stack4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRKS1D3 View Post
I haven't read one comment that alluded to any of these. Pretty helpful thread for the youngster if you ask me.
This thread is very helpful to me for the different insurance options. Now I just have to wait until my parents get home to talk about it.
Old 10-25-2012, 03:30 PM   #24
menendez1293
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS M6
First off congrats on almost getting your first car. but i do want to say coming from a teenager dont think about only what looks cool think about practicality (i know that might be difficult).

Alright i will agree with what has been said above. Let me start off by saying i am currently 18 and am insured on booth a Cruze and a Camaro. Check the insurance on the camaro before you do anything. i can tell you that i got insured on my 2LT/RS M6 when i was 17 and it was 1K a year for me alone. I am now 18 and it is around the same. But mind you my camaro is set up as a weekend only car which only allows me to drive it around 2-3K miles a year and i am also not the primary driver on the Camaro.

Since the camaro spends most of its time in the garage i drive a 12 Cruze Eco M6 every day to school and i am set up as the primary driver on it. It is a great car. It looks pretty nice and you can not beat the 40MPG i get in the city. I actually made it from miami to tallahassee (about 500 miles) on one 12 gallon tank. I had almost nothing left when i got back but that is impressive for a normal motor.

But back on topic about the car to choose. The reason i said the thing about the cruze going 500 miles on one tank is because you also have to take into account the amount of gas you will spend. Right now going to college i have about a 300 mile commutte every week since i stayed at home. It costs about 25 a week when if i drove the camaro it would cost 50-75 (i put 93 octane in the camaro). Also another thing to consider is that you will be taking the camaro to school and other places where there will be teenagers and they will be jealous and thats when things happen to your car. I would be crushed if something where to happen to my camaro that is why i tried at all costs to not to take the camaro to high school and was very lucky to get a DD for college.

of course anyone in your boat would choose the camaro in a heart beat but i am just warning you that it does cost a lot more to drive the camaro than the Cruze. Dont get me wrong i love my cruze and camaro. But they booth have different purposes for me.

I too got a new car because that was the deal with my dad if i kept my grades up and did what i needed. But I never expected a Camaro. And another reason my insurance was lower was because i had not only the high grades discount but drivers Ed. my parents were originally quoted 4K a year driving it every day when i 16 so my dad said he would get me the car but i would have to wait a little bit to be able to drive it on my own. i waited almost 2 years and then got my license when we found something reasonable.
menendez1293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 03:40 PM   #25
Stack4

@menendez Thanks for your input. I live about 5 miles from school and wouldn't be driving highway very often. I just checked a quote, my insurance would be a little over $700 per six months. The main reason I'm getting a new car, like I said previously, is my grades. My parents agreed to get a new car for me if I am in the top 5 in my grade Freshmen and Sophomore (current) year. At my school, you decide your parking spot by class rank, so I would no doubt choose a very far away spot in a corner. I really like the Cruze, but come on...Camaro. How does the Eco handle? I've only driven an auto 2lt, but I'm going to get a stick in any car I get. I've read that the Eco has really weird gearing for 5th and 6th gear.
Old 10-25-2012, 03:42 PM   #26
justinxxvii

Drives: Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieBelle View Post
Ummm.... insurance for a 16 year old with a Camaro will be through the roof. Over $2,000 a year, easily, are the numbers I've been told by high-school kids with Camaro LT's. Get an SS and that number could double
When I was 16 in 1998, I had a 1989 Mercury Sable, and my insurance payment was $190 a month. That car was only worth $2500!

I can't even imagine what a $25,000 car would cost at that point in my life.
justinxxvii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 03:44 PM   #27
Stack4

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightwarrior View Post
Who says his parents haven't instilled respect into him? Am I bad dad for going out and buying my daughter a Nintendo DS? It's unfair of you to make those judgements without knowing the whole story.

Need and my wife raise our daughter to be respectful, financially responsible (hard to do when she is 9) and to respect her belongings. Our daughter gets straight A's, puts half of her allowance in the bank every week (her choice not ours and the little bbooger offered to buy is dinner last week. Does she get rewarded or bribed to get straight A's? No she doesn't. Do we puck her up random gifts from time to time and tell her she's doing a great job? Yes. Morale of the story is when she turns 16 guess what's she's getting for not being a typical military brat who is more responsible than a majority of adults.

A used cobalt!!!!

Kidding. She will have a budget of 25k. And she will get what she wants.

Good luck kid enjoy your camaro and be safe!

/rant
My dad has a Cobalt SS S/C and I thought that's what I was going to get for my first car, and truthfully, I would be happy with a car half as awesome as that. And thanks, lol.
Old 10-25-2012, 03:49 PM   #28
BowtieBelle
They see me trollin'...

Drives: 217 ci of fury; Chauffeured by SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stack4 View Post
Well said. I was a little hesitant to even post this thread, due to people like him just assuming that I'm a irresponsible teenager who doesn't care about anything and is spoiled.
It was bound to happen sooner or later, and chances are the mods will remove his post, so don't worry about it; just ignore him.

My parents gave me a car when I turned 16. Granted, it was a '92 3/4 ton long-bed Chevy 4x4 with vinyl seats and crank windows, but two years later I got a new truck for graduation as a reward for good grades, getting a full ride to a state college and being responsible.

No worries.

2011 Custom LT/RS: Bella's Build Thread
BowtieBelle is offline   Reply With Quote