Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 10-04-2010, 08:15 AM   #1
Sawyer

Drives: '13 5.0
Chevy challenges Ford to HD towing contest, gets turned down

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/10/04/c...s-turned-down/
Old 10-04-2010, 11:11 AM   #2
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoblog
Chevrolet Silverado Marketing Manager Tony Truelove, "Numbers on paper are fine," he said. "Let's go work these trucks in the mountains, and may the best truck win." To which Ford Trucks spokeswoman Anne Marie Gattari replied, "We challenge our trucks against the competition in grueling prove-out tests continually, and the customer gives us the results – sales leadership year after year."
So, Ford doesn't want to compete because they did their own testing and already knew that they'd lose? Not surprising, GM probably did the same thing and got the same results before they issued the challenge.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 11:13 AM   #3
usmc8411
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 camaro
They should punk out the Tundra now too. I hate toyotas advertising.
usmc8411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 12:33 PM   #4
8cd03gro

Drives: 2005 STi corn fed
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
So, Ford doesn't want to compete because they did their own testing and already knew that they'd lose? Not surprising, GM probably did the same thing and got the same results before they issued the challenge.
That's a pretty big assumption. Why would Ford risk the possibility of losing when they have the marketing advantage by the numbers? Chevy has a lot more to gain by that challenge. If Chevy loses, the average consumer's assumption would just be confirmed. If Ford loses, they have an advertising crisis on their hand. Whether Ford would expect to win or lose, it's close enough numbers wise that it would be a very stupid move to accept unless Ford knew they had the victory in the bag.
8cd03gro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 12:41 PM   #5
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8cd03gro View Post
That's a pretty big assumption. Why would Ford risk the possibility of losing when they have the marketing advantage by the numbers? Chevy has a lot more to gain by that challenge. If Chevy loses, the average consumer's assumption would just be confirmed. If Ford loses, they have an advertising crisis on their hand. Whether Ford would expect to win or lose, it's close enough numbers wise that it would be a very stupid move to accept unless Ford knew they had the victory in the bag.
Based on their own statement, they already know if they'd win or lose since they do 'continual, grueling tests

And based on the fact that GM even issued the challenge, they probably know more about the capabilities of the Ford Super Duty than whats on the spec sheet.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......

Camaro Fest sub-forum
Old 10-04-2010, 12:50 PM   #6
bigearl

Drives: 10 Camaro 2lt
Doesn't matter if Ford wants to or not, because Pop Mechanics will do it for them. As will that Texas whatever challenge, and a few others. Nice bragging rights but fairly meaningless.
Old 10-04-2010, 12:54 PM   #7
8cd03gro

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Based on their own statement, they already know if they'd win or lose since they do 'continual, grueling tests

And based on the fact that GM even issued the challenge, they probably know more about the capabilities of the Ford Super Duty than whats on the spec sheet.
Right, so again you are making a big assumption. Like I said, Ford has a lot more to lose in that challenge. Accepting would be dumb if it wasn't a sure thing. I'm not saying the Ford would win, for all I know it could get spanked, but with numbers that close and Ford having the advertising advantage it would be a huge mistake for them to accept unless they absolutely knew they were going to win. That's just simple business. Like said above, the ragazines will do similar testing eventually anyway.
Old 10-04-2010, 01:12 PM   #8
TheCaptain
N7 Spectre

Drives: 14 ATS Performance 3.6L AWD
Send a message via MSN to TheCaptain
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8cd03gro View Post
Right, so again you are making a big assumption. Like I said, Ford has a lot more to lose in that challenge. Accepting would be dumb if it wasn't a sure thing. I'm not saying the Ford would win, for all I know it could get spanked, but with numbers that close and Ford having the advertising advantage it would be a huge mistake for them to accept unless they absolutely knew they were going to win. That's just simple business. Like said above, the ragazines will do similar testing eventually anyway.
With those numbers, and turning down the challenge... one might think if Ford used/ is using slightly altered numbers, just to stay on top with the number game.

Either way, i'm staying tuned! And rooting for the Silvy! (/Sierra)
Old 10-04-2010, 01:32 PM   #9
8cd03gro

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCaptain View Post
With those numbers, and turning down the challenge... one might think if Ford used/ is using slightly altered numbers, just to stay on top with the number game.

Either way, i'm staying tuned! And rooting for the Silvy! (/Sierra)
It's definitely possible. Has anyone dynoed one yet?
Old 10-04-2010, 01:55 PM   #10
bigearl

Drives: 10 Camaro 2lt
I've seen some dynos that make the published numbers for Ford look accurate on that reflash to 800lb/ft at the crank.
Old 10-04-2010, 07:43 PM   #11
v6sonoma

Drives: 2010 SS RS
Ford has nothing to gain. I don't blame them. We'll just have to do our own test.

Mods: BBK Intake, BBK LT's and High Flow Cats, Corsa Cat-back exhaust, Hurst short throw shifter, SLP skip-shift eliminator.

7/1/09 Placed order for IOM/IO int/ SS/RS 6M
9/26/09 Took delivery!
v6sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 01:17 PM   #12
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
The new Silverado HD would easily slaughter the Ford in a fight. Anyone who thinks otherwise is oblivious to basic physics. Everyone should do some research on that fully boxed frame that GM upgraded for 2011.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 05:15 PM   #13
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
The new Silverado HD would easily slaughter the Ford in a fight. Anyone who thinks otherwise is oblivious to basic physics. Everyone should do some research on that fully boxed frame that GM upgraded for 2011.
I don't follow HD trucks that much, but I'm pretty sure the Super Duty has a fully boxed frame as well.

Camaro Fest sub-forum
Old 10-08-2010, 05:40 PM   #14
20Camaro11

Drives: SS
I have talked to many serious truck owners (people that actually use them to full potential), and for years Ford has always been the favorite. My neighbor loved Chevy, but when he was hauling his race car...he love his F-250. The new Chevy may have evened the differences, but I would still seriously consider the class leader before buying a Chevy. Either way, the capabilities of these heavy duty trucks is so high, I am not sure it is worth anybodies time trying to see which one is better. These comparisons seemingly end up being decided by which one has the nicest seats, better stereo, or gas mileage or something asinine like that because the testers can never get close to what they can handle. The HD series of Dodge, Ford, and Chevy are awesome machines, ultimately probably just buy which ever one is the cheapest.
20Camaro11 is offline   Reply With Quote