Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Other Generations > 3rd Generation Camaros

Old 01-17-2009, 06:16 PM   #29
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
I guess you were right.
go figure....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercamaro64 View Post
yea, wel rite now i got a 2.8 v6 in it, and its fine, but i need to be able to beat my friends '91 mustang, and thts a 5.0 v8, and its stock, so as long as its better than that, im not going to be all tht picky
ah, the lil 2.8 that barely could. the one we pulled from the 86 had about 268k on the odo when it finally gave up the go.

what is your planned budget for this? give me a ball park (realistic figure) and I can run from there.
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 07:30 PM   #30
Supercamaro64
Right, right.

Drives: 79 Z28, 86 Camaro, 94 Burb 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
go figure....

ah, the lil 2.8 that barely could. the one we pulled from the 86 had about 268k on the odo when it finally gave up the go.

what is your planned budget for this? give me a ball park (realistic figure) and I can run from there.

yea, mine only has 87,xxx on that engine, and i want to spend as little as possible but as long as its good and its worth the money, ill eventually pay watever it takes
Supercamaro64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 07:52 PM   #31
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercamaro64 View Post
yea, mine only has 87,xxx on that engine, and i want to spend as little as possible but as long as its good and its worth the money, ill eventually pay watever it takes
well, you need a goal and a budget.

we'll take some things for granted.

you want a v-8
probably 300hp (or more if its not too costly)

how much work do you plan on doing yourself? or how much work will you be capable of? (like bolting on heads, installing a cam, etc) obviously, machine work will be left to the machine shop.

and you will also need a transmission as well. its a shame you dont live closer to me. I have a good friend who builds transmissions for a living who could set you up with one hell of a 700r4 for about $850.00 tho I have spoken to him about freight shipping transmissions to other people in the country.

you can get turn-key motors for anywhere from 3-25k the GMPP ZZ4 crate motor runs right around 5k. and its 355hp.
http://www.gmperformanceparts.com/Ho...s/build_it.jsp

also, check out Golenengines
http://www.golenengineservice.com/

and swing over to www.thirdgen.org and see some of the swaps that they have done to get some ideas on what to do.

however, you can do a full teardown and rebuild of a small block that you find in a junker car as well.
there's a wonderful book at most auto stores called "How to rebuild your chevy small block"

there's also this one
http://www.amazon.com/Build-Performa...d_bxgy_b_img_b

but the question that remains is how much are you going to do yourself? having someone else do the work will be easier and normally less time consuming. but it will be more costly.

read thru this http://www.carcraft.com/howto/116_03...nes_cores.html
and it will give you an overall guide on what you will be looking at if you go to build the motor yourself as opposed to a turnkey.
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Quote:
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote:
Old 01-20-2009, 03:02 PM   #32
Nightmare

Drives: white 86 camaro z28
well for some of the questions its a 350 from a 1971 chevy truck thats all i really know but will i still be a ble to put it in my car? and will my ten bolt rearend hold up to its power?
Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 01:27 PM   #33
Supercamaro64
Right, right.

Drives: 79 Z28, 86 Camaro, 94 Burb 4x4
wow, 850 bucks would be great. hey heres an idea, u should move to wisconsin!! lol if i cud just spend less than 1000 on the whole deal tht would be great. ah well, my 2.8 will just have to hold on for a little longer (exasperated sigh)

O, and does anyone know where i cud find the front end of an 86 berlinetta? cuz the guy who had my car before i did smashed a crack in the front plastic part. (he also smashed in the rear left quarter panel) before i got this car, nobody cared about it, which is y its so sad, cuz now i have to do a load of repair work(thankfully not on the engine, tht runs fine, it just doesnt look like much from the exterior yet).
Supercamaro64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 06:32 PM   #34
BowtieGuy
Enlightened

Drives: Nothing Currently
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
small block stroker.
Wait...how is a 454 a small block?

People have to talk about something just to keep their voice boxes in working order. So they'll have good voice boxes in case there's ever anything really meaningful to say.
Kurt Vonnegut
BowtieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 07:06 PM   #35
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Quote:
Wait...how is a 454 a small block?
the same way you can have a 350 big block. the differences are not the cubic inches. its the overall block size that determines whether its a big block or small block.

you can bore, stroke, and sleeve a small block to a large size, but it would not be worth much outside of the track.

Quote:
Quote:
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote:
Old 01-23-2009, 07:35 PM   #36
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/f...97016876f5.htm

511ci small block lsx.

Quote:
Quote:
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote:
Old 01-31-2009, 09:23 PM   #37
nightglow

Drives: 1986 Iroc z28
hey man ive been working on mine for 3 years now and i went with the richmond 6 Speed trans hold up well stong tranny and great for raceing, if u are buting the 350 in bear in mind the creat motor from gm is a good buy for the money but u can go to a junk yard and pick up a 350 and redo the motor for cheap it all depends on how far u want o go with it ....
nightglow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 09:25 PM   #38
nightglow

Drives: 1986 Iroc z28
hey man ive been working on mine for 3 years now and i went with the richmond 6 Speed trans hold up well stong tranny and great for raceing, if u are buting the 350 in bear in mind the creat motor from gm is a good buy for the money but u can go to a junk yard and pick up a 350 and redo the motor for cheap it all depends on how far u want to go with it ....
nightglow is offline   Reply With Quote