Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Closed Thread

Old 09-14-2012, 03:49 AM   #1
ZZZ

Drives: 10 SS Camaro
Had my Camaro towed for Reckless Operation after practicing in an empty parking lot

So I went to an empty parking lot this evening and was practicing with traction control off. I had made a few tire marks and the vehicle had skidded a few times when practicing defensive driving skills.

Two officers pulled up in the community I live in after repeated harassment after purchasing my Camaro and proceeded to ask for my info and asked me and a passenger to get out of the car. One of them goes to the parking lot and says he sees the track marks very minimal (Ill post pictures in the morning when I get them on my cell phone. They officer accused me of doughnuts (None of the tire marks indicate a circular intact motion suggesting I was doing such a thing.

A third officer showed up and the first thing he did was laugh and said "****ing Tow It!" in a goading voice and proceeded to tear my trunk up searching for contraband.

This is after Officers had stopped me shortly after purchasing the vehicle in the town I live in and harassed me threatening to cite me for Attempted Assault if I revv my engine past anyone again.

Furthermore neighbors had reported me for speeding on my block and the Deputy Police Chief sent me a threatening letter bringing up unproven accounts and a false report that was filed by a City Service Department Employee months after I had sent an email to the Mayor of the city complaining about harassment from him at the City Civic Center for bringing up a family members health condition.

I used to work for our city and as early as three years ago was making 8 an hour part time on the back of a garbage truck. I know own a % in my own company and I am doing well and decided to purchase a new Camaro and the harassment and nastiness I get locally has been out of control.

I am only Twenty Five and I am sure it gets under the skin of ex co workers seeing someone who was making minimum wage afford a higher standard of living than they are used to.

So basically my car was towed and I was given a ticket for Reckless Operation.

Personally I am not even bothered by it as much as I am disgusted and worried about the well being of my vehicle when I pick it up this morning from a local Garage it was towed at.

I am at a loss for words regarding the behavior of the one officer who swore and tore the lining out of my trunk this evening. The officers involved started questioning me about my job when I actually make more than them a year now and it took every bit of self control to not just tell them to mind their own business. I was positive and upbeat. They told me to start walking home and wouldn't let me wait to see my vehicle towed.

I am seriously worried they damaged my vehicle out of spite given all the issues I have had with this city since leaving.

My grandfather is ex city council and a city inspector still and ex PD and the name carries alot of political feelings. Right now I really don't know what to do if the car is damaged or about the accusations.
Old 09-14-2012, 03:54 AM   #2
Tayap79

Drives: 2013 Victorty Red Camaro 2SS
Dude, file a complaint with the PD office and the city. I would.
Old 09-14-2012, 03:56 AM   #3
Run and Gun

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS , 1966 GTO
Time to Lawyer up.
Old 09-14-2012, 04:08 AM   #4
Brutal SS

Drives: 2019 Camaro 2SS 1LE
What buttplugs!
Old 09-14-2012, 04:33 AM   #5
ZZZ

Drives: 10 SS Camaro
http://imageshack.us/f/545/photo1ehm.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/f/844/photo2mi.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/27/photo3au.jpg/

Sorry I couldn't directly link them...
Old 09-14-2012, 05:06 AM   #6
AirManFL
Mid-Florida Camaro Club

Drives: 2018 ZL1
Out of curiosity, is it a private parking lot? Do you know the owner of the parking lot?

Rob
Old 09-14-2012, 05:13 AM   #7
Brutal SS

Drives: 2019 Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirManFL View Post
Out of curiosity, is it a private parking lot? Do you know the owner of the parking lot?
I think this question is key. Im no law professor, but I think if it is private property, they weren't suppose to mess with you unless the proprieter called em on you.
Old 09-14-2012, 05:34 AM   #8
2SS 2011

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS M6 Black
remember you put yourself in that position..
Old 09-14-2012, 05:43 AM   #9
Bad@ssCamaro
BeckyD Rocks :-)

Drives: 2015 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZZ View Post
So I went to an empty parking lot this evening and was practicing with traction control off. I had made a few tire marks and the vehicle had skidded a few times when practicing defensive driving skills.

Two officers pulled up in the community I live in after repeated harassment after purchasing my Camaro and proceeded to ask for my info and asked me and a passenger to get out of the car. One of them goes to the parking lot and says he sees the track marks very minimal (Ill post pictures in the morning when I get them on my cell phone. They officer accused me of doughnuts (None of the tire marks indicate a circular intact motion suggesting I was doing such a thing.

A third officer showed up and the first thing he did was laugh and said "****ing Tow It!" in a goading voice and proceeded to tear my trunk up searching for contraband.

This is after Officers had stopped me shortly after purchasing the vehicle in the town I live in and harassed me threatening to cite me for Attempted Assault if I revv my engine past anyone again.

Furthermore neighbors had reported me for speeding on my block and the Deputy Police Chief sent me a threatening letter bringing up unproven accounts and a false report that was filed by a City Service Department Employee months after I had sent an email to the Mayor of the city complaining about harassment from him at the City Civic Center for bringing up a family members health condition.

I used to work for our city and as early as three years ago was making 8 an hour part time on the back of a garbage truck. I know own a % in my own company and I am doing well and decided to purchase a new Camaro and the harassment and nastiness I get locally has been out of control.

I am only Twenty Five and I am sure it gets under the skin of ex co workers seeing someone who was making minimum wage afford a higher standard of living than they are used to.

Personally I am not even bothered by it as much as I am disgusted and worried about the well being of my vehicle when I pick it up this morning from a local Garage it was towed at.

I am at a loss for words regarding the behavior of the one officer who swore and tore the lining out of my trunk this evening. The officers involved started questioning me about my job when I actually make more than them a year now and it took every bit of self control to not just tell them to mind their own business. I was positive and upbeat. They told me to start walking home and wouldn't let me wait to see my vehicle towed.

I am seriously worried they damaged my vehicle out of spite given all the issues I have had with this city since leaving.

My grandfather is ex city council and a city inspector still and ex PD and the name carries alot of political feelings. Right now I really don't know what to do if the car is damaged or about the accusations.
That's worrisome to say the least. Did you not see the vehicle towed at all? I would have walked a certain distance and hid out somewhere until the tow truck showed up. It definitely sounds like they had it in for you, but I don't think the question of what you earn for a living was an issue.

There are some LEO's on this website and they would tell you that they were well within their rights to ask you questions and search you're vehicle due to probable cause, But they don't have any right to cause damage to your vehicle. If they was any damage caused by their negligence, It would be wise to discuss with a lawyer, if it's worth it to you to go through the process.

Myself knowing some LEO's, They were definitely trying to discourage you from doing something like that again. The abrasiveness and the decision to tow the vehicle was to hurt you two-fold, emotionally as well as financially. Makes you think twice the next time you try something like that again.

Oh, one more thing, I would go to the police dept. and get a copy of the report and see if it includes the names of the officers if you decide to pursue a civil action.

Last edited by Bad@ssCamaro; 09-14-2012 at 05:55 AM.
Old 09-14-2012, 05:52 AM   #10
fielderLS3

Drives: 2016 Mazda6, 2011 Mustang 5.0
Gut feeling says there is a lot more to this story, and that you and the cops have had "meetings" before. I find it very hard to believe that the cops towed your car because it was better than their own. You'll never convince me that the police would take the time to just follow someone around looking for reasons to screw with someone if they didn't already have a reason. In a city like Detroit, they'd be way too busy with a whole lot of much more important crap to even bother.
Old 09-14-2012, 06:09 AM   #11
STW

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZZ View Post

I used to live 8 miles outside of Detroit in Troy. I am curious, was it Madison Heights?, West Bloomfield?, Birmingham? I could see that happening.... especially in Madison Heights....do tell!
Old 09-14-2012, 06:13 AM   #12
garcmol

Drives: 10 1LT SIM; 91 B4C sleeper Z
Quote:
Section 257.626 of the Michigan Compiled Laws defines reckless driving as "driv[ing] a vehicle upon a highway or a frozen public lake, stream or pond or other place open to the general public, including, but not limited to, an area designated for the parking of motor vehicles, in willful or wanton disregard for the safety of persons or property." Reckless driving in Michigan carries a number of penalties, including possible jail time.
Sucks your car was towed.
Old 09-14-2012, 06:24 AM   #13
SnowVert

Drives: Inferno Orange 2013 SS/RS LS3 6M
Practice on a race track, not in an empty parking lot...
Old 09-14-2012, 06:25 AM   #14
big papa

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by fielderLS3 View Post
Gut feeling says there is a lot more to this story, and that you and the cops have had "meetings" before. I find it very hard to believe that the cops towed your car because it was better than their own. You'll never convince me that the police would take the time to just follow someone around looking for reasons to screw with someone if they didn't already have a reason. In a city like Detroit, they'd be way too busy with a whole lot of much more important crap to even bother.
+1

19 GMC CC 4x4
2019 Harley RGS

Closed Thread