Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 03-26-2015, 08:32 PM   #1
JakesRJT

Drives: 2011 Camaro 3.6L V6
Chemical Guys- Blacklight... Paint Protection?

Is chemical guys Blacklight a suitable protectant to apply after claying and polishing? I've heard some other names thrown around but was just trying to establish if the Blacklight has good protecting qualities...
Old 03-26-2015, 08:46 PM   #2
Joe M 2012 2SS

Drives: 2012 2SS
Blacklight is a glaze. Protection quality alone is minimal. I've used it with the V7 applied after every wash and got 2 months out of it. It does however add a great shine, and will fill minor imperfections. If your polishing the car first, a glaze isn't really necessary, a sealant will give you the good protection. Blackfire wet diamond is popular with many G5 owners.
Joe M 2012 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 09:45 PM   #3
Iomcamaro
The enjoyment never ends

Drives: 2010 1LT/RS IOM #25223
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe M 2012 2SS View Post
Blacklight is a glaze. Protection quality alone is minimal. I've used it with the V7 applied after every wash and got 2 months out of it. It does however add a great shine, and will fill minor imperfections. If your polishing the car first, a glaze isn't really necessary, a sealant will give you the good protection. Blackfire wet diamond is popular with many G5 owners.
This is partially true. Glazes do not have any durability for protection. They are simply used to level the surface by filling swirls and scratches. This is what produces the shine. While blacklight does have filling properties, it is indeed a sealant. Straight from CG's website:

About Black Light
If you’re looking for a product that will add a tremendous amount of gloss and color enhancement to your paint, then look no further because Black Light has arrived. If you’re looking for a product to add a layer of protection from the elements, then Black Light is the go to gloss enhancer. Either way you use it, you will be extremely happy with how the paint looks…regardless of the color. When you read into the product description, you kind of get the idea that it’s a gloss enhancer. Then as you read it again you may think it’s a sealant. Well you’d actually be correct on both fronts, so let’s call it a “gloss-enhancing sealant”.

I have not used it so I cannot comment on it personally.

Last edited by Iomcamaro; 03-26-2015 at 11:37 PM.
Iomcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 10:29 PM   #4
JTruck

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LT/RS
Blacklight's durability is very poor, so any protection it does give, will be gone very soon. It's more for looks.

Look into a dedicated sealant.
Old 03-26-2015, 11:33 PM   #5
Tecca

Drives: ...
Not only is Blacklight a glaze and a sealant it is also a cleaner and polish. That is why it is classified as a AIO.

As stated durability is lacking, so it should be topped. If you are sticking with CG products I would top it with 50/50 and the use V7 as your QD. As for application the best method is with a black pad on speed 4 with 3-4 passes with your DA
Tecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 11:36 PM   #6
Iomcamaro
The enjoyment never ends

Drives: 2010 1LT/RS IOM #25223
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tecca View Post
Not only is Blacklight a glaze and a sealant it is also a cleaner and polish. That is why it is classified as a AIO.

As stated durability is lacking, so it should be topped. If you are sticking with CG products I would top it with 50/50 and the use V7 as your QD. As for application the best method is with a black pad on speed 4 with 3-4 passes with your DA
Aww snap. Somebody is posting again. It's like waking a sleeping dragon.
Iomcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 04:36 AM   #7
Joe M 2012 2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iomcamaro View Post
This is partially true. Glazes do not have any durability for protection. They are simply used to level the surface by filling swirls and scratches. This is what produces the shine. While blacklight does have filling properties, it is indeed a sealant. Straight from CG's website:

About Black Light
If you’re looking for a product that will add a tremendous amount of gloss and color enhancement to your paint, then look no further because Black Light has arrived. If you’re looking for a product to add a layer of protection from the elements, then Black Light is the go to gloss enhancer. Either way you use it, you will be extremely happy with how the paint looks…regardless of the color. When you read into the product description, you kind of get the idea that it’s a gloss enhancer. Then as you read it again you may think it’s a sealant. Well you’d actually be correct on both fronts, so let’s call it a “gloss-enhancing sealant”.

I have not used it so I cannot comment on it personally.

If you go on CG's website and click waxes and sealants, you will not find Blacklight.

If you click on glazes, you will find it. Blacklight is a glaze.
Old 03-27-2015, 08:36 AM   #8
JakesRJT

Quote:
If you go on CG's website and click waxes and sealants, you will not find Blacklight.

THIS is exactly why I had concerns for using it solely for a protectant... It is advertised on the bottle and on the website as a sealant as well but is not listed in sealants...

Quote:
Blacklight is a glaze. Protection quality alone is minimal.
This is what I figured but have had no experience with it as far as long term. I've only had it for about a month and only did a "test" section on my offroading f-150... lol!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTruck View Post
Blacklight's durability is very poor, so any protection it does give, will be gone very soon. It's more for looks.

Look into a dedicated sealant.
Thanks for the input, I'll be ordering Blackfire in a few minutes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tecca View Post

Thanks for that! I'll probably put some on since I have a full bottle and then slap some Blackfire on it. I'm not really partial to any brand just want quality products to help maximize results from my lack of experience... haha!

I figured I'd best ask some of you guys whom actually have had experience with the products...

I'm ordering some Blackfire now as I do want to protect my hard work as much as possible!

Thanks for everyone's input it is all greatly appreciated!
Old 03-27-2015, 09:03 AM   #9
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
Good choice, Blackfire is amazing!
Old 03-27-2015, 09:43 AM   #10
Tecca

Drives: ...
Quote:

This is one of those products that is going to confuse people till the day they discontinue it. When Blacklight was first release they never stated what it was, just what you could use it for. That is why many classify it as a AIO. If you want to play the link game go to the Chemical Guys UK website they have it under sealants and not under glaze. However you can use it as a cleaner polish as well as it will remove some lsp's as well. Or use it as a "jewelling" polish to rid of some micro-marring. It is one of maybe three products they sell worth trying out.

But hey its CG as long as it smells great and they can put a hot girl next to it they will bottle it up.

Jakes it will look great topped with BF.
Tecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 09:53 AM   #11
JakesRJT

I'm really excited about getting this bad boy polished and shined up!!! I only need to buy one more thing and it can be bought locally so I'm going to wait until closer to time to work... and that's BEER!
Old 03-27-2015, 02:00 PM   #12
Joe M 2012 2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ;8322634
I'm really excited about getting this bad boy polished and shined up!!! I only need to buy one more thing and it can be bought locally so I'm going to wait until closer to time to work... and that's BEER!
If you haven't got one already, get yourself a swirl finder light to check your work, what looks good in the shade or low light can look much different when illuminated.
A lot of people use the Brinkmann, I believe it's been discontinued as I couldn't find it anywhere. I got the Flex, 3M sun gun is another option.
If you don't have a 2 bucket wash system, it's imperative that you get one, along with quality microfiber wash and dry products. The Microfiber Madness Incredimitt and Dry Me Crazy towel are extremely safe on your paint and won't induce new scratches or swirls when used in conjunction with the 2 bucket wash.
Old 03-27-2015, 02:19 PM   #13
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Drives: #198
Joe, brinkman was discontinued?

Please check out my youtube detailing channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/roshan517

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you will be successful."
ihaveacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 02:20 PM   #14
JakesRJT

I'll be working in a carport that is part of my house and was considering hanging a 4 foot flourescent light deal above where I'll be working and have some other lights but I'll definetely look into those... I need as much help finding these things as I can because I do not want to park it in the sun later and find a scratch... Thanks for pointing that out.

I've already gotten a foam cannon and use a bucket with Chemical guys grit guard to rinsing my mit and have some of the Microfiber Madness Crazy Pile towels that I love and have ordered several quality waffle weave towels aswell.

Thanks for the heads up!