Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Old 06-08-2017, 07:51 PM   #1
Robjan

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
First Track Event...Now What?

Finished my first HPDE event at VIR this week. WOW! What an experience. I'm hooked, no doubt about it. Now that I know what it is all about, I'm thinking about the next steps for my car. First, let me say that I do understand that driving skill is the most important way to improve my track performance. No need to remind me of that. I'm looking for suggestions, recommendations, next steps etc to give me the best platform to learn from. What should I consider to get my car to improve car handling? Again, not looking to set track records, just looking to have a solid track, street legal car. It's not my daily driver, by the way.

The car is a 2010 1SS with 54k miles. Performance mods include CAM, headers, CAI, CAT delete. With tune, it shows 471.5whp and 435.9 torque. It has a Hurst stage 1 lowering kit. All mods were there when I purchased the car. I did update brakes to ST-43's. Prior to track day, I attempted to get a better track oriented alignment. According to the alignment shop, best front camber they could get was LF-1, RF-1 1/4, LR-1 3/8, RR-1 5/16. Tires are BF Goodrich g-force Comp 2 A/S tires. 275/40ZR20 on back and 245/45ZR20 on Front.

Before next track day, I'll have more appropriate tires. I will be adding new tires to my current wheel setup or possibly thinking of a 1LE wheel setup with quality track,street tires (no slicks). What else should I consider? I do realize that sky's the limit really but I'm thinking more about best bang for buck or at least maybe a phase 1, phase 2, phase 3 approach. Any ideas?

Here is a link to one of my better laps. Again, i do realize that I have a lot to learn. It was only my 2nd track day so please be gentle.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=...&v=feJQ_QvSV0o

Last edited by Robjan; 06-08-2017 at 08:03 PM.
Robjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 09:04 PM   #2
MJanowich
Door ding magnet

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS
There's nothing wrong with those tires. They are Tire Rack tested at .91g on their test car and they are probably better overall than the stock Pirelli P Zero.

Since you asked, I'd say don't do anything to the car other than safety stuff like high temp brake fluid (if you haven't already) and brake ducts, especially since you have a lot more power than stock. Spend your money on more track days. You'll have plenty to spend your money on as you go through pads, rotors and tires.

The satisfaction I get out of improving and seeing seconds drop off of my fastest laps while doing nothing to my car can't really be measured.

"When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."
MJanowich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 05:16 AM   #3
Robjan

My buddy had a 1LE there with me. He was running Michelin Pilot Sports (or maybe super sports) and the difference was substantial. As you see in the vid lots of understeer in turn 1 especially. I ran that corner about every way possible and the car wouldn't stick.
Old 06-09-2017, 07:51 AM   #4
Lonewolf583
Apex Predator

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6 Rally Yellow
Nice! Your priority needs to be 1)brakes 2)tires 3)alignment.

Brake cooling and fluid is paramount if you plan on doing this. I made my own brake cooling setup for less than $120 bucks. Swap in some DOT4 high temp fluid and maintain that regularly. Pads should work.

Despite being better than a P0 they'll still smear themselves on the track and you won't have a "liveable" daily tire anymore. They're not made for sustained hot laps.

My .02, pick up some sticky tires </=200 TW DOT approved tires on a square or nearly square setup (1LE fitment will work just fine) and leave the BFG's on your stock wheels during daily duties. Also remember smaller diameter is cheaper and the options open up. I run 18's on track.

Especially after being lowered, you should have been able to get more negative camber out of the stock setup...I'd highly recommend some JPSS geometry correction goodies to help out there. I run his radius rod insert (billet bush), his caster locks, and his SAI plates. I'd also recommend some solid rear subframe bushes. Incredible how this alone changed the car. This would be a good foundation to learn upon. With the stock SS bars and "generic" lowering springs it'll bias to understeer still which is much more forgiving while learning how to drive on track.

Phase 2 or whatever suspension could be coilovers, rear LCA's, rear toe rods, rear UCA bush, and sway bars.

Beating physics into submission since 1991.

Lonewolf583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 08:22 AM   #5
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS SGM
Squaring up the stance should help quell that understeer and get things more neutral for you. Braking system is priority one as everybody has said. Dedicated wheels/tires will be the way to go if you expect to do this routinely.

What gear is in that car -3.91? Didn't seem like stock 3.45's...
GPI Max Package 2.0: Brodix BR7 heads/GPI porting, MAX3 cam, ST2116LSR, BSR Max Lift rockers, LS7 LSXR with 103mm TB, Vararam OTR, Mcleod RXT, G-Force/Strange 9" IRS setup with 4.63 gear. 551whp, 11.1@124mph.
Got a question about a GPI product? Feel free to shoot me a message!
acammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 08:45 AM   #6
Robjan

Great info, thanks! As far as I know, rear end is stock. It wasn't on list of mods I have. As for dropping down to 18" wheels is there anything that has to be done to the car? Speedo adjustment maybe? I guess if they are only used at the track you wouldn't really have to do that.
Old 06-09-2017, 09:36 AM   #7
Stephen12ZL1

Drives: '21 ZLE A10
Brakes, tires, alignment is definitely the correct order of importance. Don't worry about the speedo adjustment...run it because you won't have much time to stare at the speedo.
'21 ZLE A10 Wild Cherry PDR 2:00.78 VIR Full 10.68@131.69 1.68 60'
'17 ZL1 A10 Mosaic Black PDR/Nav 2:03.08 VIR Full 11.003@129.2 1.75 (sold)
'15 Z/28 #325 Black a/c & stereo. 2:10.1 VIR Full (sold)
'12 ZL1 A6 Black 10.52@131 1.55 60' 2:13 VIR Full (sold)
Stephen12ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 11:47 AM   #8
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS SGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robjan View Post
Great info, thanks! As far as I know, rear end is stock. It wasn't on list of mods I have. As for dropping down to 18" wheels is there anything that has to be done to the car? Speedo adjustment maybe? I guess if they are only used at the track you wouldn't really have to do that.
Was guessing by your shift point being right around 100mph from 3rd to 4th. A stock SS pulls to around 114mph in 3rd if you run it right up to the limiter.
GPI Max Package 2.0: Brodix BR7 heads/GPI porting, MAX3 cam, ST2116LSR, BSR Max Lift rockers, LS7 LSXR with 103mm TB, Vararam OTR, Mcleod RXT, G-Force/Strange 9" IRS setup with 4.63 gear. 551whp, 11.1@124mph.
Got a question about a GPI product? Feel free to shoot me a message!
acammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 02:33 PM   #9
wakespeak

Drives: 2020 ZL1 1LE
Add cradle bushing inserts if you have a 2011. They may already be in based on what the previous owner installed.

The max front camber on the stock 1LE struts is -2.0 for me and I won't go back. Handling and tire life much better.

There are a lot of "Ultra High Performance" summer tires out there. Just make sure you match the load rating. 100 is min based on the 1LE Goodyears. The stock Pirelli's are 103 XL.
Old 06-12-2017, 12:06 PM   #10
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robjan View Post
Finished my first HPDE event at VIR this week. WOW! What an experience. I'm hooked, no doubt about it. Now that I know what it is all about, I'm thinking about the next steps for my car. First, let me say that I do understand that driving skill is the most important way to improve my track performance. No need to remind me of that. I'm looking for suggestions, recommendations, next steps etc to give me the best platform to learn from. What should I consider to get my car to improve car handling? Again, not looking to set track records, just looking to have a solid track, street legal car. It's not my daily driver, by the way.
You don't have to do a lot to end up with a car that will carry you up through intermediate and quite likely into advanced. You just need a car that's "composed" and easy to drive smoothly at speed. If you were starting from OE base stock, wheels/tires/shocks/struts/sta-bars, a little firming up of the cradle location, and a slightly different alignment might be all you need.

I like the 1LE tire & wheel size thinking for what you've described.

I have no idea whatsoever what Hurst has for suspension stuff for any car - but what I did find on a quick and dirty search suggests that it's more stance-related than hardcore handling goodness intended.

You could definitely use front camber that's more negative than -1.2°, though if this car sees much street mileage including to and from the various tracks you probably don't want to go much past -2°.

If roll is reasonably well controlled, you could back off the rear camber to something like -1° or maybe -0.9°. Roll that's a little too much with camber that's not quite far enough negative could get a bit loose in some situations (unintentionally adding just a little too much power a little too soon on corner exit?), which could get in the way of your development as a driver.

Norm
Old 06-12-2017, 01:37 PM   #11
Spitfil2e

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1SS Victory Red
I don't know how no one has said anything about JPSS. He is at VIR all the time. I would give him a shout he can run though some options for you based on what you want to do with the car. Just google JP Superior Solutions.
2011 LS3 M6 Rotofab CAI, Comp Custom Grind Cam 224 / 234 @ .050, .581/.576 w/ 1.7 rocker, 114 lobe sep 110 int c/l, Borla Full Exhaust, Ridetech Stage 2 Coilovers, McLeod RXT Street Twin Clutch, JPSS front and rear sway bars, JPSS caster locks, Forgeline GA3R Wheels Victory Red inner and outer barrels and matte back Spokes wrapped in Bridgestone 305 re71r on all four corners, Other JPSS Stuff. 455RWHP and 411RWTQ on Nascar Dyno.
Spitfil2e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 02:40 PM   #12
Lonewolf583
Apex Predator

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6 Rally Yellow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfil2e View Post
I don't know how no one has said anything about JPSS. He is at VIR all the time. I would give him a shout he can run though some options for you based on what you want to do with the car. Just google JP Superior Solutions.
I totally did :P

Beating physics into submission since 1991.

Lonewolf583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 06:02 PM   #13
trackguy

Drives: .....
For your personal safety, as a hooked track guy you'll want to add a roll bar, a six-point harness, and a race chair into the mix. In that context, a HANS-type device and a race chair with HALO/full-containment features will ensure your coming out of it okay if you should put the car into the hard stuff. Do not underestimate the chances of this happening. One benefit of the chair and harness is that they'll anchor you more firmly to the car, and you'll have a noticeably better feel for what the car is doing underneath you. This will make you both safer and faster.

Regarding a track-only wheels and tires setup, a small tire trailer can be convenient. If you ensure that the street tires on which you drive to the track have around 8/32" or more of tread depth remaining, you should be good with those tires on any type of wet track.

Tools...quality gear matters...a proper tire pressure gauge and torque wrench should be the minimum you carry. I use a Longacre Racing TP gauge - there are other good-quality units out there, too. If you use Longacre, look at their refurbished catalog for savings. I use a Precision Instruments M3R250F torque wrench - if I was looking for one today, I'd go for an electronic unit. Shop hard and you'll generally find significant discounts on tools.
trackguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 08:27 PM   #14
13coupe

Drives: Crystal Red 1SS Coupe 6spd manual
Getting your car set up is important, but don't forget to invest in the driver. Seek out the best instructors you can find there. They can help your safety and improve your lap times.
13coupe is offline   Reply With Quote