Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 10-08-2017, 02:16 AM   #1
Avoooo

Drives: 2013 agm Zl1
Sputtering and hesitation when moving

Car runs good for the most part except when it gets this annoying sputter and hesitation. It only does this when I’m already moving and start rolling into the throttle and happens in second to 6th gear randomly, not full throttle but at about a quarter to half throttle. It never sputters when I fully punch it only when i slowly get into the throttle and the car will hesitate and sputter until I take my foot off the gas and then it will drive fine. It idles normally from what I can tell and runs very strong when I got WOT. My car has bolt ons, 9.1 lower pulley, arh headers and highflows, rotofab Intake, 850 injectors and a tune. I don’t know what this could be for the life of me and any help would be greatly appreciated. Could it be a dying fuel pump, weak maf? Thanks in advance!
Old 10-08-2017, 10:35 AM   #2
ZMEnow

Drives: ZL1, 2013, tri-coat-red, manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avoooo View Post
Car runs good for the most part except when it gets this annoying sputter and hesitation. It only does this when I’m already moving and start rolling into the throttle and happens in second to 6th gear randomly, not full throttle but at about a quarter to half throttle. It never sputters when I fully punch it only when i slowly get into the throttle and the car will hesitate and sputter until I take my foot off the gas and then it will drive fine. It idles normally from what I can tell and runs very strong when I got WOT. My car has bolt ons, 9.1 lower pulley, arh headers and highflows, rotofab Intake, 850 injectors and a tune. I don’t know what this could be for the life of me and any help would be greatly appreciated. Could it be a dying fuel pump, weak maf? Thanks in advance!
Are you running a BAP? Do you have the ability to run some data logs?
ZMEnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 12:25 PM   #3
Avoooo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMEnow View Post
Are you running a BAP? Do you have the ability to run some data logs?
Nope, no BAP as of now but will be camming it in the near future so will be running it forsure. And as for data logging I don’t have any tools to do so and honestly wouldn’t know what I would be looking at regardless lol.
Old 10-09-2017, 12:42 PM   #4
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
Who tuned it? Take it right back.
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 04:30 PM   #5
STUNNAH
"BEASTM*DE"

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Black
Quote:
Nope, no BAP as of now but will be camming it in the near future so will be running it forsure. And as for data logging I don’t have any tools to do so and honestly wouldn’t know what I would be looking at regardless lol.
To much pulley and injectors to at least not be running a BAP...Your probably running out of fuel...

STUNNAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 05:57 PM   #6
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by STUNNAH View Post
To much pulley and injectors to at least not be running a BAP...Your probably running out of fuel...
He's got the same supercharger overdrive as you do. (2.55 = 18%, 9.1" = 18%). A Boost-a-Pump (BAP) is not necessary for 18% on a properly functioning fuel pump. ID850s/ID1050s alone will be fine. Also, running out of fuel would not be what he's describing which is mid throttle loss. Running out of fuel would matter when you're revving it out, 5500+ RPM. Then you'll notice immediate power loss. If you were "running out of fuel" at "1/4 to 1/2 throttle" then you could kiss your engine good bye at WOT.

It's either a sensor, the tune, or your fuel pump taking a dump. I'm not a professional tuner, some members on here are and may have other things to check. Your tuner should definitely be able to handle this, he'll be able to datalog, see codes and more.
Old 10-09-2017, 06:40 PM   #7
ZMEnow

Drives: ZL1, 2013, tri-coat-red, manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by Can'tHave2MuchHP View Post
He's got the same supercharger overdrive as you do. (2.55 = 18%, 9.1" = 18%). A Boost-a-Pump (BAP) is not necessary for 18% on a properly functioning fuel pump. ID850s/ID1050s alone will be fine. Also, running out of fuel would not be what he's describing which is mid throttle loss. Running out of fuel would matter when you're revving it out, 5500+ RPM. Then you'll notice immediate power loss. If you were "running out of fuel" at "1/4 to 1/2 throttle" then you could kiss your engine good bye at WOT.

It's either a sensor, the tune, or your fuel pump taking a dump. I'm not a professional tuner, some members on here are and may have other things to check. Your tuner should definitely be able to handle this, he'll be able to datalog, see codes and more.
When I was data-logging my ID850's I saw fuel pressure dropping at around 3500 as I set up my Ramp on my BAP. I just don't know how he can maintain 60 plus pounds without a BAP.
ZMEnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 09:38 PM   #8
Avoooo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Can'tHave2MuchHP View Post

The odd thing about it is it doesn’t do it all the time it’s random, on some drives it won’t do it. It’s been doing this for a few months and when I first noticed it I Left it at my mechanic for a couple days and they drove it around and it didn’t do it once. I’m goona call my tuner and see when I can take it up. Thanks for the help my friend.
Old 10-10-2017, 09:43 AM   #9
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMEnow View Post
When I was data-logging my ID850's I saw fuel pressure dropping at around 3500 as I set up my Ramp on my BAP. I just don't know how he can maintain 60 plus pounds without a BAP.
Every car is different, but I seriously doubt anyone should need a BAP at only 18% over drive. Was your car a 9.1 or 2.5 pulley?
Quote:
The odd thing about it is it doesn’t do it all the time it’s random, on some drives it won’t do it. It’s been doing this for a few months and when I first noticed it I Left it at my mechanic for a couple days and they drove it around and it didn’t do it once. I’m goona call my tuner and see when I can take it up. Thanks for the help my friend.
I think that eliminates the possibility of it being a fuel pump if it's being on and off for a few months. A fuel pump may have fluttered around a few times but it likely would have gone within an hour of you first noticing this issue.

A tune could be the issue, but more than likely this is a computer reading a bad sensor or something. I've not yet handled one of these issues yet so my experience ends here. But you definitely need it data logged, so if you can't do that then get it to a tuner who can.
Old 10-10-2017, 10:07 AM   #10
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Most common is plugs cracked or damage, wires not securely connected or damaged, we see this scenario often.

Only skips when high demand is put on the ignition system.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 10:10 AM   #11
owhite3003
Z-BEAST

Drives: 2013 JDP ZL-850 Track Spec ZL1,
Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post
Most common is plugs cracked or damage, wires not securely connected or damaged, we see this scenario often.

Ted.
What Ted said!!!
owhite3003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 10:49 AM   #12
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
Cracked spark plug...

Dont ask how I know this.
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 10:52 AM   #13
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Ahhh of course.
Old 10-10-2017, 02:50 PM   #14
Avoooo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post

Ted.

Thanks Ted,