Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 03-04-2022, 03:04 AM   #1
SquareBunny

Drives: Chevy Camaro RS V6 AT 2012
Gearbox stuck at shifting

Good day!

So I just had a problem that now worries me a lot.

I was driving back home.. And there's a part of the road where I always kick throttle pedal to the ground just to have fun on the straight line. Gearbox shifts down, RPM goes up, but just stuck at red line. It was feels like it stucks with disengaged clutch. I tried to release throttle pedal, press it again - no feedback from car at all. It continues to scream like a mad and arrow shaking in the red line. I checked if I maybe switch it to neutral by chance - no, it was in "D".

Eventually the gear was shifted, but it takes around 10 seconds and it was scary incident.

Any suggestions, please?

Last edited by SquareBunny; 03-04-2022 at 05:44 AM.
SquareBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 08:37 AM   #2
1JEWLDSSRS

Drives: 2011 SS-RS
First thing I would do is check your fluid level, if it isn't right you could lose pressure and not have enough to shift correctly as it would be sucking some air thru it instead of fluid. These trans do weird things when the fluid gets too low. Or you could be having an issue with the pressure switch in the valve body. Good luck.
Old 03-04-2022, 08:55 AM   #3
KillboyPowerhead

Drives: 2015 Z/22
Was it for sure in D and not M? If in Sport Mode (M) and you go pedal to the metal the trans will downshift easier/quicker and the RPM's will stay high for a bit after letting off the throttle.
Overkill/Self Tuned; Mace Camshafts; K&N Typhoon Cold Air Intake; Ported 80mm Throttle Body/Intake Manifolds/Manifold Spacer; Solo Performance High-Flow Cats, Cat-back Exhaust; Vitesse Motorsports Throttle Controller; Elite Engineering E2 Catch Can; BC Racing BR Coilovers; JPSS Delrin Radius Rod Bushing Inserts, Sway Bars; Pegasus Aluminum Rear Cradle Bushings, Camber/Caster Plates; Z/28 Toe Links, Trailing Arms, Upper Control Arm Bushings, Rear Shock Mounts
KillboyPowerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 09:31 AM   #4
SquareBunny

Thanks. I will check the levels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillboyPowerhead View Post
Was it for sure in D and not M? If in Sport Mode (M) and you go pedal to the metal the trans will downshift easier/quicker and the RPM's will stay high for a bit after letting off the throttle.
It was on "D" for sure. I even switched it to "S" and then back to "D". But it didn't do anything.

Last edited by SquareBunny; 03-04-2022 at 10:27 AM.
Old 03-04-2022, 03:10 PM   #5
1JEWLDSSRS

Another thing you have to be careful too, when in either D or the M, (sport mode), if you accidentally hit the downshift button when you go pedal to the metal and it downshifts and revs up, it will NOT upshift for you in either of these modes until YOU tap the upshift button. In D mode if you do downshift during normal driving, it will after about 5-10 secs return to D mode, whereas if you are driving in M (sport mode), and down shift, it will not return to sport until you hold down the upshift button for 2-3 seconds. Then you will be back to normal operation.
Old 03-04-2022, 04:11 PM   #6
SquareBunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1JEWLDSSRS View Post
Another thing you have to be careful too, when in either D or the M, (sport mode), if you accidentally hit the downshift button when you go pedal to the metal and it downshifts and revs up, it will NOT upshift for you in either of these modes until YOU tap the upshift button. In D mode if you do downshift during normal driving, it will after about 5-10 secs return to D mode, whereas if you are driving in M (sport mode), and down shift, it will not return to sport until you hold down the upshift button for 2-3 seconds. Then you will be back to normal operation.
Damn, really? Even in D mode? If it's true then it's very possible that I accidentally just press the lever. I though they didn't work in "D".

That feeling then you are dumb, but happy because most likely your gearbox is fine. Not best time to buy new one in Russia.
Old 03-04-2022, 04:41 PM   #7
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Слава Україні!
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 05:38 PM   #8
SquareBunny

Yea, sure.
Old 03-05-2022, 05:51 PM   #9
1JEWLDSSRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquareBunny View Post
Damn, really? Even in D mode? If it's true then it's very possible that I accidentally just press the lever. I though they didn't work in "D".

That feeling then you are dumb, but happy because most likely your gearbox is fine. Not best time to buy new one in Russia.
Yes, really.. You can manually downshift in "D" mode, but as I stated it will not stay down in the gear you selected for but a few seconds, then it WILL return you to the normal "D" mode, only in "M" mode, (sport) will it stay in the gear you select until YOU shift it up, it will downshift in M as you come to a stop, but WILL NOT upshift unless YOU do it, of you put it back in sport by holding the upshift button for about 3-4 seconds. I do this all the time.
Old 03-06-2022, 01:45 AM   #10
SquareBunny

I see. Thanks, friend. I hope it's really the case. I've kicked pedal to the ground couple time yesterday and all seems fine.
Old 03-06-2022, 07:51 AM   #11
1JEWLDSSRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquareBunny View Post
I see. Thanks, friend. I hope it's really the case. I've kicked pedal to the ground couple time yesterday and all seems fine.
Very cool!! Yea when I accidentally did that once, it scared the crap out of me!! Wasn't sure what happened and was very concerned I messed up something, but in my research on here, found out what happened, and all is good. Just be careful with the buttons. These cars have safety programs tuned into the TCM and ECU so you won't hurt anything if you accidently rev it too high, it will cut the fuel and spark to protect the engine. Good luck and enjoy the ride sir!!