Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-21-2019, 11:52 AM   #1
XxCrystalline

Drives: 2011 Chevrolet Camaro 1LT
New Used Owner

Hey guys, so I have recently become the owner of a used 2011 Camaro 1LT with 128k miles on it. I have always wanted one since the concept in 2006 but as a high schooler omw to college, that wasn't happening lol. My boyfriend found it at a Nissan dealer for $9000 and bought it as an anniversary gift. I will baby this car for the rest of my life.

My father was a mechanic his whole life but I never got to build a car myself or even maintain without a shop since I was a full-time student. He passed a few years ago so I can't get his opinion or angry commentary anymore lol. I thought I would join the forums and see what you guys would recommend I start paying attention to or upgrading?

The car came with an aftermarket exhaust and of course Nissan didnt know the brand or anything, as well as the cold air intake with the round tapered oiled filter, and some matte black racer stripes that I cant stand and am working on getting off right now. I already replaced the battery with a Platinum Duralast and I think I need to tighten or muffle my heat shield but I haven't been underneath yet.

I appreciate you all for any advice you can give.
Old 06-21-2019, 12:04 PM   #2
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
Welcome and congrats on your new to you ride!! Be sure to post some pictures of your new ride.

There's plenty of things to upgrade, it all depends on what direction you're looking to go on what to upgrade. A few things I've done and enjoyed for minimal mod money are LED side markers (Oracle), trunk and map/interior light upgrades to LED (Diode dynamics for those two), sequential taillight (Phastek), ZTA spoiler (Phastek), and painted fuse box lid (Roto-fab). Also, since you're going to wrench on it yourself, lowering springs are surprisingly simple to install yourself. I went with 1" lowering springs and it really changes the stance of the car. On long trips the car is a little rough, but everyday driving isn't bad at all.
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 12:04 PM   #3
Benman

Drives: 13 IOM 2ss RS manual
Welcome to the forum, post some pics of the parts in question, somebody here can probably identify them on site. Hope you enjoy the ride.
Old 06-21-2019, 12:06 PM   #4
hrpiii
AKA "Beefcake"

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Sharkskin
welcome and congrats on the new ride!! Ask away, we are here to answer the best we can.
hrpiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 01:44 PM   #5
XxCrystalline

Thank you all for the welcome! Actually my signature image is the only image I have at the moment from when I picked it up, and I just grabbed some good gone to get the tinted lights off and tomorrow will go heavy on removing the stripes. I will post pictures then, I promise!

Also, what is the major purpose of lowering springs? I've always driven an SUV and only one of them was a newer models so I'm not really used to ride comfort lol, I just pull over and stretch anywhere after 4 hours or more. I don't have that issue here in DC just yet, but I'll take a trip to my mom in the country and let you know how comfortable it was or wasn't.
Old 06-21-2019, 01:53 PM   #6
BAD DAB

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black & Silver
Congratulations and welcome to the site. There's lots of great information on this site. Be sure to check out all the threads.

STAINLESS WORKS HEADERS-TUNED BY JANNETTY RACING-C.A.I. INTAKE-TAYLOR 409 WIRES-SOLO AXLE BACK EXHAUST-ELITE CATCH CAN
BAD DAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 01:56 PM   #7
Aqua Blue RS/SS

Drives: ABM #93
Quote:
Originally Posted by XxCrystalline View Post
Thank you all for the welcome! Actually my signature image is the only image I have at the moment from when I picked it up, and I just grabbed some good gone to get the tinted lights off and tomorrow will go heavy on removing the stripes. I will post pictures then, I promise!

Also, what is the major purpose of lowering springs? I've always driven an SUV and only one of them was a newer models so I'm not really used to ride comfort lol, I just pull over and stretch anywhere after 4 hours or more. I don't have that issue here in DC just yet, but I'll take a trip to my mom in the country and let you know how comfortable it was or wasn't.
Welcome aboard! I was born and raised in western loudoun on top of the blue ridge. My family is still there for the most part. Hope you enjoy your car! The lowering springs provide a lower stance and increased handling, they are normally a little more firm than stock springs.
ABM #2399 2SS/RS:SOLD
ABM #93 2SS/RS Black Rally stripes, Titanium Interior 4,000 miles: GM GFX side skirts and diffuser waiting on paint, GM dovetail, GM heritage, RPI ZL1 style splitter.
‘87 IROC-Z Iroc blue. all original unmolested with 50K miles.
Aqua Blue RS/SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 02:17 PM   #8
XxCrystalline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Blue RS/SS View Post
Welcome aboard! I was born and raised in western loudoun on top of the blue ridge. My family is still there for the most part. Hope you enjoy your car! The lowering springs provide a lower stance and increased handling, they are normally a little more firm than stock springs.
Ohhhh ok. I'll have to think on that as DC is the hometown of potholes everywhere 🙃 Although with the other extras, they may already be on there. I'll probably take it into Chevy for a diagnostic and some general info on what else has been installed.
Old 06-21-2019, 02:18 PM   #9
Mr.Jgunn65

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2/SS
Welcome to the family!
Mr.Jgunn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 03:28 PM   #10
witenite

Drives: 2010 2SS non RS
Congrats & welcome!
Old 06-21-2019, 03:58 PM   #11
Welker2
Ret AF, cancer survivor

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS & 2006 Corvette
Congratulations on the new ride and welcome to the forum. There is a wealth of knowledge to be gained here, so as already stated, ask your questions. Lowering springs will give your car a more aggressive profile, they will also improve overall handling to some degree; the down side is they will give your car a stiffer, harder ride.

As far as what to do next, it depends on what you want to focus on first; looks (personalization) or performance, as well as your budget.
Old 06-21-2019, 04:03 PM   #12
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
I'd leave the stripes. Those things look cool! Matte black on a gloss black paint job,

As for the lowering springs, as was stated above they lower the center of gravity thus helping with handling and IMO the stance is killer. However, I've done a lot of driving in DC, and I'd keep your stock springs until you move out of the area otherwise you may be cringing a lot.
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 05:15 PM   #13
CamaroFan63
Sullie63

Drives: '15 1LT Summit White
Welcome and Congrats !!
Enjoy the ride !!
My current Camaro is number 4
with only 1 having been brand new
Oracle clear side markers / LLmar tint sides and rear.
Strut bar / Husky Floor liners
Member of SICC. Southern Illinois Camaro Club
CamaroFan63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 06:35 PM   #14
tomlink

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT RS
Send a message via Skype™ to tomlink
I had to google the name you gave your car:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fenrir

And most of us males attribute a female identity to our cars.
tomlink is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice or opinions, camaro 2011 1lt, new owner, used car