Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 10-05-2018, 12:29 PM   #1
Alexia

Drives: SS
Brake Pedal Position Sensor?

I am trying to fix an issue with the brake lights staying on constantly.(2011 SS) Is there not a brake pedal switch? I found a brake pedal position sensor, but I thought that was for ABS/traction control reasons. Does it handle turning on the brake lights through the BCM as well?

Thanks!
Alexia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 07:14 PM   #2
SSMickey

Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS
Brake pedal position switch is what your looking for. It sends a signal to the BCM and the BCM turns on the brake lights. It has no direct control over turning on the brake lights like the old brake light switch. The yellow wire is the brake light signal wire to the BCM.

Last edited by SSMickey; 10-05-2018 at 07:35 PM.
SSMickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 07:23 PM   #3
Alexia

Drives: SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSMickey View Post
Brake pedal position switch is what your looking for. It sends a signal to the BCM and the BCM turns on the brake lights. It has no direct control over turning on the brake lights like the old brake light switch.

Thank you! Reading up I guess I have to potentially get it calibrated as well, but hopefully not.
Alexia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 07:45 PM   #4
SSMickey

Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS
No calibration needed if you replace the BPPS. The BBPS sends a voltage signal to the BCM when you step on the brake pedal. If the sensor is messed up and is constantly sending out a signal the BCM will keep the lights on. The other, less likely option is the BCM is messed up. If you end up replacing that, it has to be programed and set up. Not a DIY job. What happens to the brake lights if you unplug the BPPS?