Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 10-11-2018, 06:26 PM   #1
anth331

Drives: 12SS
Rotors

I posted a tread about pads and rotors yesterday. Today before coming to work I looked at my pads and rotors. The front rotors are flat all the way across. The rear one's have a little ridge at the top and at the bottom toward the hub. It's flat between the ridges where the pad contacts the rotor. Is this normal? All four have little scratches on the rotors. I'm in my late 50's and have never messed with brakes before. I'm thinking that I need to replace the pads and rotors. Thanks for the help.
anth331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 05:19 AM   #2
Synner

Drives: cars
Its just the contact pattern between pad and rotor, totally normal. You determine replacement by thickness or if you have shudder issues when braking.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 05:26 AM   #3
anth331

Drives: 12SS
Thanks Synner. I got up to 60 mph and pressed the brakes hard. There was no noise or vibration. It just makes noise at slow speeds like in traffic when your moving slow and have to keep your foot on the brakes.
anth331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 12:31 PM   #4
Synner

Drives: cars
Thats the nature of factory pads as they're between a track and daily driver pad. If they're not on the squeelers then no need to replace pads. Do some hard stops and the noise will go away for a while, it also helps to ensure all caliper hardware and backs of pads are lubricated correctly.

I use this which is the highest temp rating made. A little goes a long way.

https://www.permatex.com/products/lu...s-lubricant-2/
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote