Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 02-04-2017, 02:47 PM   #29
JLGO

Drives: 2015 Camaro SS convertible L99
GM put stronger tranny and internals on their boosted vehicles for a reason. I suggest make your engine and tranny stronger before boosting or go all motor.
JLGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 03:12 PM   #30
nosmr2

Drives: 2011 L99 SS
AGP TT or LSA

And drag radials

nosmr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 04:19 PM   #31
Scotty D2014

Drives: 2014 SS1-1le Crystal red metallic
AGP bud !!
Scotty D2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 04:32 PM   #32
AGP Turbo

Drives: All things Turbocharged
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny17 View Post
So in a twin set up, are both turbos running at 8 psi each? I'm asking because everywhere I look it says my cubic inch engine needs about 15-16psi to reach 700hp. The AGP kit delivers that to the wheel in half?
As people are saying, it's not just as simple as psi, becasue of all the other factors. But I can tell you that a totally stock LS3 car will make 700whp at about 11psi on the AGP kit. On something less efficient like a supercharger or single turbo kit, that absolutely will not happen, so you can't really compare. Add with an aftermarket cam an otherwise stock LS3 could make 700whp at 9psi because it's getting a lot more air mass through the engine at less manifold pressure. Also a huge factor is the 60-80hp it takes to run a supercharger, turbos don't have that extra drag on the engine so that is free power to your wheels.
AGP Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 04:50 PM   #33
Unreal

Drives: 2006 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillshooter View Post
this^^
Since boost is just a measure of pressure in the intake manifold, not power, airflow, or anything that effects reliability of the motor, it doesn't really matter. You can setup your heads/cam/intake to see 30psi and make 600hp, and it won't be any more stressful to the pistons than 600hp at 6psi.
Old 02-04-2017, 06:14 PM   #34
cc-rider

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unreal View Post
Since boost is just a measure of pressure in the intake manifold, not power, airflow, or anything that effects reliability of the motor, it doesn't really matter. You can setup your heads/cam/intake to see 30psi and make 600hp, and it won't be any more stressful to the pistons than 600hp at 6psi.
While technically speaking, you're right...I think these comments are confusing the hell out of the guy here. We are talking about a stock LS3 here and a guy who doesn't know a ton about modding or boost looking to add some to it. And when adding boost to a stock LS3...you want to be careful with how much boost you put to it. You know that Unreal.

kenny17,
It all depends on what you really want out of the car. If you want a kit that will deliver you the most HP on a dyno run...you can't beat the AGP Twin kit. But you will have a little turbo lag off the line. If you want to get down a 1/4 mile the fastest, then there might be better options for you. Seems that the centrifugal chargers like the ECS kit consistently post the best 1/4 times. And if you are looking for a street car, the positive displacement top mount superchargers (like the LSA or Maggie or others) make a pretty damn fun instant hit type of car.

Now of course...all the different systems can be made to beat the other. So you'll get the vendors and their fanboys touting things. And the truth is, they ar all good options. We're lucky to have so many great options for these cars.

Your best overall value power adders will probably be the ADM LSA positive displacement charger....or the AGP Twin kit. But there are many other options (Whipple, Kenne Bell, Magnusson, SLP, Edelbrock, ECS, Vortex, Hellion, etc, etc, etc). All have put huge smiles on people's faces. All have their place and do things just a bit different (power delivery, install ease, hp limits).
cc-rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 06:31 PM   #35
Unreal

Drives: 2006 Z06
People need to learn boost basically means nothing. He can make 800rwhp at 10psi or 15psi. Same cylinder pressure.

So no, you don't want to be careful with how much boost, because boost doesn't matter. Cylinder pressure/power does.
Old 02-04-2017, 06:50 PM   #36
cc-rider

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
People need to learn boost basically means nothing. He can make 800rwhp at 10psi or 15psi. Same cylinder pressure.

So no, you don't want to be careful with how much boost, because boost doesn't matter. Cylinder pressure/power does.
I can see you need to stick to your guns here Nick. Like usual. And I aleady said...you are technically right. Yes, you can design some really messed up camshaft that will allow the LS3 to make 30 psi in the manifold and only push enough air through the engine to make 600hp and live just fine. But who the hell would do that? Not every thread needs to be about how to make 1000 hp and the technicalities that you understand.

The OP here clearly doesn't have a ton of modding knowledge...he's asking if each turbo produces 8 psi on a twin set up??!!! You think he understands what your saying?? And I'm not holding that against him. We all start somewhere. So all I'm saying is that he is asking about modding a STOCK LS3. And with the forced induction kit options that are out there...you absolutely need to be careful with how much boost you put to it.
cc-rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 07:16 PM   #37
Unavowed

Drives: Twin turbo G8 GXP
Quote:

A lot of your comments range from irresponsible to insane. We all know that you're an AGP fan boy. Hell, so am I. I have their kit and have had numerous conversation with both Ben and Kevin before, during and after my purchase. They are great guys running a great company that makes a great kit. You popping in to every thread saying things like boost pressure doesn't matter and 1k+ rwhp is a walk in the park really is doing them a disservice. Neither of those statements are true and make you seem ignorant, arrogant, or both. I also find it somewhat ironic that the biggest cheerleader for AGP on a Camaro board drives a supercharged Corvette. A little more self awareness would go a long way.
Old 02-04-2017, 07:44 PM   #38
10aSSee D

Drives: Silver 2010 SS Camaro
I understand his point but again a stock LS3 will not live at 20psi. Unless you are running race gas or E85 and one hell of a tuner not happening for longevity. Most folks are going to be running pump gas on their builds anyway so 20psi would be a risk I'm not willing to take.

ADM built 417, 2.9L Whipple with 3.250 pulley, ADM ported and polished LSA heads,ADM stage3 cam,ADM LSA belt drive system,ADM CAI race scoop, ADM dual fuel pumps, ID 850's, BMR full suspension, Gforce 9 inch kit with 3.5 inch driveshaft, Street Slayer twin carbon clutch, Lingenfelter oil seperator. Tuned by built by ADM Performance, 763rwhp,705rwtq
10aSSee D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 09:28 PM   #39
AGP Turbo

Drives: All things Turbocharged
It's this hugely critical concept that helps people think more clearly about how things actually work. The overly extreme numbers are part of explaining the concept. I thought this was a good discussion much like you find on more technical forums. Camaro5 has always been quit behind on advanced thought.
AGP Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 10:12 PM   #40
jman123

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS 1LE
I made 678whp @ 8psi. e85 and a pretty big NA Cam.
AGP Twin turbo kit, base 54/57 Borg Warner turbos, TSP stage 4 N/A cam, AGP twin 430lph e85 pump fuel system w/ flex fuel sensor, 1000cc FIC injectors, Grimm speed manual boost controller. (830 rwhp 778 rwtq @ 15.5 psi)
jman123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 07:41 AM   #41
Gearheaded

Drives: 2014 SS
What you have here is one person explining why sticking to a PSI number is literally an old school train of thought, and the actual number is almost irrelevant; then a few guys refusing to let that thought go lol.

PSI is cause and effect, not what you base reliability on. Why is that so hard to accept?
2009 YZF R1 - Race bike (road course)(totaled racing)
2008 YZF R6 - Race bike (road course)(still own)
Gearheaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 02:00 PM   #42
djfury05

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unavowed View Post
A lot of your comments range from irresponsible to insane. We all know that you're an AGP fan boy. Hell, so am I. I have their kit and have had numerous conversation with both Ben and Kevin before, during and after my purchase. They are great guys running a great company that makes a great kit. You popping in to every thread saying things like boost pressure doesn't matter and 1k+ rwhp is a walk in the park really is doing them a disservice. Neither of those statements are true and make you seem ignorant, arrogant, or both. I also find it somewhat ironic that the biggest cheerleader for AGP on a Camaro board drives a supercharged Corvette. A little more self awareness would go a long way.
The dude lives on the forums and always has to be right even if it means throwing out some ridiculously stupid comments. Does it on corvetteforum and not surprised to see it here.
djfury05 is offline   Reply With Quote