Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 10-26-2014, 05:59 PM   #1
ActNup NY

Drives: 2011 1LT Black Camaro
Is there any difference

Question.... I'm looking to change out my rotors along with my pads. I'm looking at getting the drill/slotted rotors. (Or maybe just the drill depending on the advice given here)

I've seen a few camaros up by me where people had drill/slotted rotors in the front and solid in the rear. Then the other day I seen a camaro with both drill/slotted in the front and rear.

Is there a reason for that? Or are they doing it just for style/looks? Thxs in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-26-2014, 07:59 PM   #2
blgl1800

Drives: 11 SS/RS Vert/E-ForceSupercharger
drilled rotors

I just had my SS rotors replaced with stoptech drilled, stainless steel brake lines and ceramic brake pads. It was cheaper than drilling the existing rotors because they needed to be resurfaced. Ii
Even looked at buying the stock rotors but felt the aftermarket was a better deal.
blgl1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 08:03 PM   #3
Dyk-NO
Trust me I'm a Scientist.

Drives: My wifey ;P
if you want good deal and a wide variety of options try R1concepts. you wouldn't regret it they do custom rotors too.

Mods: RotoFab CAI, SW Headers, HiFlo Cats, Borla Atak Catback, Nightfury Cam, Ported Heads,Intake,TB, melling pump, Morosso Oil Separator.
Dyk-NO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 08:07 PM   #4
Homer2

Drives: 50th Anni.. coming home 11/01
I look forward to hearing about the differences and/or needs to go drilled, drilled&slotted, front vs allaround also. I could try Google I suppose, but I seem to recall that drilled was for heat and slotted for better wet?
Homer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 08:41 PM   #5
enzia35

Drives: '16 Garnet Red 1SS
Don't drill your own rotors! Stupid dangerous.
enzia35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 09:03 PM   #6
1KillerSS
Too much is never enough!

Drives: AGP TT SS [COTW] 4/20/15
Send a message via Skype™ to 1KillerSS
There really is no difference between cross drilled rotors and slotted rotors. They both help get rid of heat. Drilled rotors will develop hairline cracks in the holes after a while from excessive heat. Usually the holes develop over a long period of time. In my experience you can get at least two sets of pads out of the rotors before needing to replace them. Thats also about the time that they develop the hairline cracks.

Tracking your car will speed up that big time. That's the main reason people who track their cars use slotted rotors exclusively.

I like the combination of both holes and slots. Its not like I really need the extra cooling capacity for street use. Plus they look so cool, they have to add like 30 horses to the car!! Truth is I have warped every set of rotors I have ever had, that is every set that wasn't either drilled or slotted. When I was researching brands and pricing I came across the ones I use now. They were, at the time the best bang for the buck.
AGP TT kit, 54/57 Forged rotating assembly, Custom grind cam... Dual nozzle meth, ID850's, Livernois dual fuel pumps, ECS BAP, 25% UDP, 3 inch Magnaflow catback with X pipe, Mantic 9000 clutch, DSS 1000hp axles, DSS aluminum driveshaft, ZL1 rear end, solid subframe bushings, HE differential offset bushings, BMR Trailing arm, BMR toe rods, Lingenfelter LNC-2000,SJM Line Lock. 747 whp 714wtq

Build thread
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...55#post8107855
1KillerSS is offline   Reply With Quote