Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Texas

Old 08-21-2010, 03:37 PM   #1
Atti2de
Móderator

Drives: 2SS/RS
Harris Hills Raceway (Stories and Pictures)

Started a new thread since there are two registration threads already. Add your thoughts, stories, likes and dislikes as well as pictures here.

Pete, I do expect a old school right up from you!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PnCRedJwl2SS View Post
D-U-D-E-S! (and D-U-D-E-T-T-E-S!),

Where do I begin...

This was, by far, the best San Antonio Camaro Club driving experience to date! Let me just say I think I can speak for everyone who attended today when I say this was a MUST REPEAT event!

The "DE," as they call it at Harris Hill Road was an incredible opportunity to push our cars close to their performance limits. I say "close" because after our first few laps around the track, we all soon learned that the limiting factor was not the car, but the driver...it is truly amazing to get a feel for what our 2010 Camaros can do, once you know what you're doing out there (we really only got a taste for how to do it right today). They say DE stands for Driving Education...I say it stands for Driving Experience. Wow, Wow, Wow, what a day!

It all started with six cars rallying at a Starbucks on I-35N at FM 3009 (the rest of our group met us up at the course). We departed Starbucks just after 6:30 AM and arrived at the Harris Hill Road Course right on time for registration at 7:15 AM. After a short briefing on the course, safety, and rules, we met our instructors and hit the course for a first few laps (sans helmet) with the instructors driving our cars to show us the line.

Then we went back to the briefing room for a quick review and some additional cautionary notes from the instructors. After the review we lined 'em up and hit the course again. With the instructor now in the passenger seat, we learned more about how to take the right line to enable us to go as fast as we could push the cars around the curves, bumps, hairpin turns and fleeting straightaways that make up the amazing Harris Hill Road Course (helmets were definitely required on these runs). In all, we got to do this three more times, hitting the track for 20-minute runs each time, alternating with the instructor group and another drivers' group to take breaks in between and let the cars cool down

Towards the end, a few non-Camaro cars managed to push a bit too hard, and we got to watch them go "off-track" and spinning into the grass (and then back into the paddock area for a quick inspection before heading back out). Fortunately, all of our Camaros came back pretty much the way we brought them, with two notable exceptions...(one minor event at the Starbucks, and a melted rear diffuser--you two know who you are!).

This was more fun than adult human beings should be allowed to have. I felt like I was getting away with something that I could get in trouble about, if caught! All I can say is, I didn't realize you can approach a hairpin turn at close to 90 mph, stand on the brakes, let off the brakes, crank the steering wheel over to make the car dive at the apex, then power out of it, while straightening out the wheel in the opposite direction from the way you want the car to go and still keep the car on the track and launching towards the next turn at 70 mph and climbing! Un-be-freakin-lievable! Imagine doing that for a full 20 minutes...THREE SEPARATE TIMES (yeah, I said it...)!!!

Our club was well represented, with the following members present:

Driving:
TAG UR IT (Doug and family)
PWND (Will)
racelvr24 (Suzanne)
Mystic Blue (Mel)
Mrs Synergy SATX (Debbie and kids)
Happy Pappy (Sam and family)
PncRedJwl2SS
In Support:
Atti2de (Chris)
Atti2dezWife (Stephanie)
Bada Bing (John and Jann)
CamaroSkooter (Justin)
Camaro Joker (Keith, and friend Cody)
Drigar (Kevin and son Ryan)
SumitSS (Darrell)
NOTE: If I missed anyone, PM me and I'll edit the post...

I think nearly everyone who came to watch and support us managed to get a ride-along on a high-speed run around the track, so we all got to taste the speed and feel the "g-forces." And who knew you could burn through an entire tank of gas in one day...?

Big thanks to Sondra and the instructors for putting on a fantastic, fun day for us!

Thanks also to Drigar and CamaroSkooter for capturing pics and video of the event. Watch this thread for those to be posted (hopefully soon!).
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSkooter View Post
So, I got all of the video's split up into 2 parts and correctly oriented (not upside down now ) and they are currently uploading to YouTube. Apparently, a video that's around 2gigs takes almost 2-and-a-half hours to upload. And then, once the video is uploaded, YouTube has to proccess the video

All 9 videos are up! Yay! (9 of 9)

Instructor Jack's Red Porsche:

Doug's Second Run:

Pete's Second Run:

Doug's Third Run (Facing Backwards ):

Debbie's Third Run (Battery died halfway through :():
Old 08-21-2010, 05:47 PM   #2
busaboy

Drives: Black RS/SS M6
What an absolute blast. I never did get turn 2 and 3 right but it was great fun trying.
busaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 06:39 PM   #3
PnCRedJwl2SS
Howdy! Pete here...

Drives: 2017 50th Anniv 2SS, A8, NPP, MRC
D-U-D-E-S! (and D-U-D-E-T-T-E-S!),

Where do I begin...

This was, by far, the best San Antonio Camaro Club driving experience to date! Let me just say I think I can speak for everyone who attended today when I say this was a MUST REPEAT event!

The "DE," as they call it at Harris Hill Road was an incredible opportunity to push our cars close to their performance limits. I say "close" because after our first few laps around the track, we all soon learned that the limiting factor was not the car, but the driver...it is truly amazing to get a feel for what our 2010 Camaros can do, once you know what you're doing out there (we really only got a taste for how to do it right today). They say DE stands for Driving Education...I say it stands for Driving Experience. Wow, Wow, Wow, what a day!

It all started with six cars rallying at a Starbucks on I-35N at FM 3009 (the rest of our group met us up at the course). We departed Starbucks just after 6:30 AM and arrived at the Harris Hill Road Course right on time for registration at 7:15 AM. After a short briefing on the course, safety, and rules, we met our instructors and hit the course for a first few laps (sans helmet) with the instructors driving our cars to show us the line.

Then we went back to the briefing room for a quick review and some additional cautionary notes from the instructors. After the review we lined 'em up and hit the course again. With the instructor now in the passenger seat, we learned more about how to take the right line to enable us to go as fast as we could push the cars around the curves, bumps, hairpin turns and fleeting straightaways that make up the amazing Harris Hill Road Course (helmets were definitely required on these runs). In all, we got to do this three more times, hitting the track for 20-minute runs each time, alternating with the instructor group and another drivers' group to take breaks in between and let the cars cool down.

Towards the end, a few non-Camaro cars managed to push a bit too hard, and we got to watch them go "off-track" and spinning into the grass (and then back into the paddock area for a quick inspection before heading back out). Fortunately, all of our Camaros came back pretty much the way we brought them, with two notable exceptions...(one minor event at the Starbucks, and a melted rear diffuser--you two know who you are!).

This was more fun than adult human beings should be allowed to have. I felt like I was getting away with something that I could get in trouble about, if caught! All I can say is, I didn't realize you can approach a hairpin turn at close to 90 mph, stand on the brakes, let off the brakes, crank the steering wheel over to make the car dive at the apex, then power out of it, while straightening out the wheel in the opposite direction from the way you want the car to go and still keep the car on the track and launching towards the next turn at 70 mph and climbing! Un-be-freakin-lievable! Imagine doing that for a full 20 minutes...THREE SEPARATE TIMES (yeah, I said it...)!!!

Our club was well represented, with the following members present:

Driving:
TAG UR IT (Doug and family)
PWND (Will)
racelvr24 (Suzanne)
Mystic Blue (Mel)
Mrs Synergy SATX (Debbie and kids)
Happy Pappy (Sam and family)
PncRedJwl2SS
In Support:
Atti2de (Chris)
Atti2dezWife (Stephanie)
Bada Bing (John and Jann)
CamaroSkooter (Justin)
Camaro Joker (Keith, and friend Cody)
Drigar (Kevin and son Ryan)
SumitSS (Darrell)
NOTE: If I missed anyone, PM me and I'll edit the post...

I think nearly everyone who came to watch and support us managed to get a ride-along on a high-speed run around the track, so we all got to taste the speed and feel the "g-forces." And who knew you could burn through an entire tank of gas in one day...?

Big thanks to Sondra and the instructors for putting on a fantastic, fun day for us!

Thanks also to Drigar and CamaroSkooter for capturing pics and video of the event. Watch this thread for those to be posted (hopefully soon!).

Last edited by PnCRedJwl2SS; 08-24-2010 at 08:11 PM.
PnCRedJwl2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 07:14 PM   #4
Mrs Synergy SATX
Debbie

Drives: 2010 Synergy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atti2de View Post
Started a new thread since there are two registration threads already. Add your thoughts, stories, likes and dislikes as well as pictures here.

Pete, I do expect a old school right up from you!!!
Dislikes? Well Chris, I dislike that I can't afford to do this every weekend! Can ya remedy that? sigh

WOW WOW WOW....I will repeat that days from now. My teenager Keith (aka Camaro Joker) said this was the best day of his life.

Sondra and all of the instructors were excellent; they ensured that we had a enjoyable and safe day. I learned a lot about what my car can do and what I can't do.... YET. My driving skills were improved by being allowed to do a ride-along with my instructor (Jack)...I was able to visualize his line and best of all I was able to ride at blazing speeds in a beautiful little red tornado on wheels.

If you missed today I strongly encourage you to sign up for the next DE day. I will post pictures when the dinosaur I am prodding right now finishes downloading them from my camera.

Last edited by Mrs Synergy SATX; 08-21-2010 at 08:56 PM.
Mrs Synergy SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 08:48 PM   #5
Mrs Synergy SATX
Debbie

Drives: 2010 Synergy
Enjoy
Attached Images

Old 08-21-2010, 09:06 PM   #6
Drigar
SYSADM

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS,CGM,A6
I'm gettin a error 404 page not present on your link in the original thread, I'll post some teaser pics here. The rest (all 2000+ of them, about 18GB) will be on a picasa link that I'll post after they get finished uploading. Granted, with that many pictures, not all of them will be spectacular, but they'll all be there so you can get the ones you want. I'll also be making a 20 minute video over the next week or so that you'll be able to download from YouTube. This was a fun event, thanks to the Harris Hill Road track crew, instructors, and especially Sondra for making this an experience of a lifetime for us. Next time, I won't be taking pictures

Old 08-21-2010, 09:43 PM   #7
Mystic Blue

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT RS
I don't if I can eloborate more right now about this experience than has already been said (which says alot - cause usually I don't shut up LOL)....

I know that I learned more today about the capabilities of my car than in the WHOLE 3 1/2 weeks I've had her! ...and it showed a few times out there. I know that my driver, Barry, did a great job in getting me to push her more and more each lap and each round. I could have driven her alot harder - but all I could think about was how much new tires or new brakes (or worse) would cost me!!

But he said I was doing great, and I know I passed up a couple of v8's (both camaro and other) during the day... And I got passed a bit too... but hey - it was all great and fun!!!

And, being only 2 weeks older than me - he got my car# reference..... Although the looks it got for it's other meaning didn't bother me much either :emoticon7:

I guess the dad and his (maybe) 8 y/o son in the old trailblazer didn't mind the reference. Noticed the kid wide-eyed staring at me as I went past them on I-90. Then noticed they pulled to my left when I pulled over to get off on the Acme exit. I look over and the the kid is in the passenger seat window with a camera taking my pic. I waved and Dad got a huge smile and waved back. I love this car!

Before I got to the house I stopped off at the Fire Station to prove to Aaron that we both made it off the track in tact.. Driving onto the base the gate guard looked at the door and said "ummm, what's with the 69 on the door?". I, very nonchalantly, replied "oh, I just got her off the track".. the look on his face was priceless.. guess I don't look like someone that would race a car? LOL. We held up a little bit of gate traffic as I told him a little about the track.. again.. I love this car

That's about all for now - thanks Drigar for the pics. As a photographer it always sucks being in an event and knowing you aren't there to take your own pic LOL I can't wait to see all of them!

Oh, and after a brief rundown of the day Aaron asked if he could take her out there next weekend. I told him 1) he'd have to wait for another one of these "DE" class days and 2) He probably should actually drive the car first!
Old 08-21-2010, 11:48 PM   #8
busaboy

Drives: Black RS/SS M6
Thanks for the picts. Today was a wonderful day that I was able to share with my family and fellow Camaro lovers.
busaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 12:06 AM   #9
Drigar
SYSADM

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS,CGM,A6
Picasa site, 2 parts, download anything you want. If you want a RAW file in NEF (Nikon format), for posters or large photo paper, let me know.

http://picasaweb.google.com/belanger..._20100821_034#

http://picasaweb.google.com/belanger...21_034_Part_2#

And a quick video of the pictures and video of videos on YouTube:

Last edited by Drigar; 08-25-2010 at 06:28 PM.
Drigar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 01:52 AM   #10
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
^I gotta look through those pictures!

What can I say? Pete...you recapped the entire days event perfectly!

First, I've owned my car well over a year now and I had no idea it could do stuff like this...WOW! Barry showed me that just when you think the car has no more steering, BAM! There it is! Flying 65 mph around a turn and I'm like, "I'm going to lose it." Barry responds, "no you won't. Watch." HA! I was amazed...oh, what a rush!

And what's this I hear about a rear diffuser??? And wasn't there something about NOT HAVING BRAKES?!?!?! Thank GOD that happened on the last lap! I woulda been TOAST!!!

I found today that it's all about weight control...not dipping the nose down and not getting so hard on the throttle that you kick that back end out. This car HAS the power to get out of those turns...but we all saw today just what extra weight can do to a car.....SLIDE.

What an awesome day. I am SO happy that I did this. I only wish I could have dragged 45 more people out there to experience what we went through today. I'm telling everyone...next time this comes about, you MUST go!!!

Thank you Eric! Thank you Sondra! Thank you Barry!!!

Thank you ENTIRE STAFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 01:57 AM   #11
mlee
www.CamaroFest.org

Drives: 2019 Crush ZLE - on order
WoW... hopefully I can make this one next year... Looks like you all had an awesome time...
Old 08-22-2010, 01:59 AM   #12
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Should be another one in November. There were a few guys from Houston who drove down.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 06:39 AM   #13
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
I'm going to scroll through the pictures when I get home and have a faster internet connection, and I have huge hopes to be able to make it to the next one...

I'm glad you guys had such a great time... Looking forward to attending next time...

For the record, I should be home the first three weeks of November... hint hint......................HINT......

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 08:10 AM   #14
Happy Pappy
Sam & Marsha

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS Black
What a Day!!! You all have pretty much said it all. What an experience!! I had no idea I could do the things I was doing with this car by the end of the day. Thanks Michael for a great learning experience!

Pete I believe you said it best about the limiting factor not being the car but the driver. The car didn't change at all during the day but I sure did!

I think I learned the most after I drove my car for the first couple of sessions and then went out with Michael in his car. I learned just how hard you could drive the car into the turns and as Doug stated earlier, Yes it will turn!!

What's next - Brake upgrades, Suspension, Tires?? Where do I begin?

Thanks to Harris Hills Staff and Sondra for a Great day and an Incredible experience!

When do we do this again??
Happy Pappy is offline   Reply With Quote