Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 04-10-2019, 10:55 AM   #1
Philipz3
USM1LED

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro
Removing a 14/15 1LE Lip

I am here today seeking some help if that's alright LOL. So, I just drove to Orlando to purchase a new Z28 lip which is great, but now I need to remove my old one off my 2015 1LE. I didn't realize how hard of a project that was going to be until I started it yesterday. It seems to be that the old lip is held up by
numerous metal pop rivets. I've done a fair amount of research but still haven't solved my issue. It seems the best option is to drill the head of the rivet with a slightly larger bit size and then knock them out. This however is gonna destroy the old rivets and ill need new ones. This also requires me to not damage the holes in the bottom of the bumper.

That has been my experience so far and my old lip is still currently on. Will take any tips,tricks, or advice. Thanks! (I have not started to drill the old rivets yet, that is just my plan at this current state.)
Attached Images

Old 04-10-2019, 06:51 PM   #2
SS Performance

Drives: 02 Camaro B4C
This thread might help.

https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=547085

1969 Camaro SS
1970 Camaro SS
2002 Camaro B4C
2014 Camaro SS Dedicated Track Car
2015 Camaro 1SS 1LE
2008 HHR SS
1996 Silverado Crew Cab Long Bed Dual Rear Wheel
SS Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 10:35 PM   #3
AGM 1LE

Drives: 14 SS/ 1LE
The z28 splitter doesn't attach the same way or with the same holes as the 1le splitter. Search on here and you'll find threads on putting it on
Old 04-11-2019, 02:11 AM   #4
1badchicken

Drives: 2015 Camaro SS 2SS Green Flash
I have done the conversion to my Camaro. The best solution is to remove the entire front bumper which you will have to do anyway if it is a OEM Z28 front splitter. You will have to use metal clips that are retainers for the Z28 front splitter. If it is an aftermarket Z28 style then they may have used the same locations.

Also if you add the OEM Z28 splitter you will need the Z28 flares, it is designed to add the flares which interlock.

It is a lot of effort to remove the front splitter.

1badchicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 06:48 PM   #5
Turbo_J89

Drives: 2015 BVM Camaro 1LE (2SS/RS)
Tip 1) If you drill out rivets, make sure you prevent the rivet from spinning freely. I recommend vice grips. If you don't do this, you risk damaging the bumper.

Tip 2) Don't drill if you can just cut the rivet from behind. It may take longer but manual pair of snips is less risky than a drill.

Tip 3) I removed my 1LE Splitter on the car with it jacked up and fender liners/wheels off. Others have recommended doing it off the car. Bumper off the car is probably easier but there's always the risk of damaging the bumper when you remove it.

Tip 4) Don't try to remove the splitter and leave the mounting brackets on. It's difficult to know if you are pulling too hard or not hard enough. Also, the corners must be lifted and fall into a gap in the mounting bracket when installing the splitter. It's hard to get the splitter out once it's installed. Just remove the splitter and brackets together.

Last edited by Turbo_J89; 04-12-2019 at 04:26 PM.
Turbo_J89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 04:07 PM   #6
Turbo_J89

Drives: 2015 BVM Camaro 1LE (2SS/RS)
These pictures hopefully give you a good idea of how the 1LE splitter is mounted.

And yes....someone will probably notice I installed all the aluminum rivets before mounting the splitter. 6 of the aluminum rivets get installed after the splitter is on the car. I recognized that error and removed those 6 rivets and completed the install. Its good to think at least one step ahead which I didn't do in this case.
Attached Images

Last edited by Turbo_J89; 04-12-2019 at 04:20 PM.
Turbo_J89 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1le, help me i'm a noob, lip, splitter, z28