Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Old 06-22-2020, 12:23 PM   #1
DMan918

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS Convertible 6MT
New Camaro (to me) - few different questions

Hi everyone,

Mike here. Just got a 2012 Camaro SS Convertible this weekend. Couple basic specs:

Inferno Orange, 1SS, RS Package, 43k miles, 6MT (I believe referred to LS3 - sorry I am learning the lingo) with the factory hurst short throw upgrade option. Has an APR front lip, Volant Powercore Intake, and what seems to be some flow through mufflers welded into the stock system. Runs great and is very solid. This will be my weekend fun car, and I want to right away look to do a couple things. This is where I would appreciate your thoughts and any advice to the questions below:

- The rear view mirror sucks. I cannot move it up high enough so I can see properly. Even if I get it close, it knocks downward because it rests against the top of the windshield. Is there anything to fix this? An extension, etc?

- Debating on blacking out the rear tail light bezels. Chrome isn't bad but I thing a matte black would be better. OK, no question here, just a comment.

- Seems like the LS3 really needs gears. I was thinking of going to 4.11s. Is this overall the go-to ratio? Any brands that stand out as best? Will I need something to correct the speedo?

- Seems like a tune isn't recommended unless I get long tube headers, correct? I may do that one day but likely not day one.

- See post #10. Going to go header back exhaust route, so any thoughts on a good setup based on post 10 criteria.

- Any other basic bolt ons I should be considering?

- Any other things I should know or research on the car?

Thank you all for your help and I look forward to being on the forum!!!
Attached Images

Last edited by DMan918; 06-22-2020 at 06:14 PM.
DMan918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 01:04 PM   #2
SSkat

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
As far as the rear view mirror I cannot comment. I would agree the matte black tailight bezels would look better than chrome. You are probably right about waiting for the tune until longtubes and as far as I read the 4.11's are a lot of peoples choice for the M6.
SSkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 01:26 PM   #3
acutron42

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS AGM
Nice car! Play with your seat height switch. That might help your mirror issue. It looks like the drivers seat is higher than the passenger seat.
acutron42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 02:18 PM   #4
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
Yea, definitely looks like they just welded some mufflers into the system. Can't tell what type or brand either. Strange hanger setup though.

As for a full catback, there is very little to no gain to be had power wise on a catback on these cars if you don't touch the headers/cats. It is basically a sound mod. But as you said, maybe swap something in that you prefer.
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 02:32 PM   #5
Greenhornet2

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS LS3 Whipple
No need to tune until you get headers. Sounds wise, loud = Borla Atak, Corsa extreme are good go to, catback systems. If you plan to do headers you should just go for a good catback In my opinion. You have an LS3 yes, that is the engine RPO code for the M6 V8 camaros, it has more power and no active fuel management or VVT like the L99 engine does. LS3>L99.
Most just get 3.91 gears as they are readily available and you can even just get the whole case used all over the place. You'd be happy with either, cheaper if you just buy the whole diff and put it in then sell yours.
You do need a tune to correct the speedo. You don't need cats to pass emissions as long as you tune it. Just an offroad pipe that looks like a cat. They don't sniff your exhaust just plug in to the OBDII port and the tune will have everything taken care of. Black bezels absolutely, but I'm all blacked out. They also sell a really cheap vinyl blackout kit for the tail lights and marker lights, I recommend it if you like the black look as well as a black rear chevy emblem and Heritage grill with no emblem (I have an extra but won't ship if you're near CT). First perf mods are
Whipple 2.9 CAI ID1050x injectors ZL1 Pump JRE FPCM JMS Voltage booster JRE Rough Idle blower cam BTR .660 springs CHE trunnion kit 1 7/8 Speed Engineering Borla Atak JRE scoop 1.5" lowering springs BMR trailing arms and toe links Cradle inserts 704WHP 603WTQ 93 octane
Greenhornet2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 03:14 PM   #6
GodWentPunk

Drives: 2015 2SS White Convertible CE/INDY
Welcome to the board!

The converts are quite due to the huge resonators. I did a muffler delete and was happy with that until I got my LTH.. and yes, once you get those, you need a tune for the rear O2 censors.

Here is also a link to the local Gen5 club http://www.chicago5thgen.com/index.php

joe....
Old 06-22-2020, 03:16 PM   #7
CamaroFan63
Sullie63

Drives: '15 1LT Summit White
Welcome !!
Oracle clear side markers / LLmar tint sides and rear.
Strut bar / Husky Floor liners
Member of SICC. Southern Illinois Camaro Club
CamaroFan63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 03:29 PM   #8
Vegas Bound
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 Sparkly Red One
Those look like glass pack mufflers. Dump the entire stock exhaust. Replace with long tube headers and a 2.5" system. Then get a tune.
Replace the stock 3.45 gears with 1LE 3.91.
Paint all the exterior chrome matte back.
Have the stock wheels plastic-dipped or powder coated black or just buy new wheels.
Vegas Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 03:48 PM   #9
go_go_gadget88

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS ABM 6M
Welcome! Good looking car! And you have come to a great place to get information on this platform, for sure.

These cars do like gear! If you don't plan on boost (turbo, supercharger, etc..) the consensus seems to be that you can't get too much in there. For a heavy vert, I would definitely do 4.10/4.11. I went 3.91 in an M6 hard top (lighter), and I can tell you it would have taken more just fine. You would need a tune to fix the speedo though, yes. Otherwise, that isn't super necessary until you change out the exhaust.

As for the mirror, it sure gets in the way! I did find I was originally trying to just tilt it up. After a while I extended it out, and realized the little extension piece it does have could go up at least instead of down, then angle the mirror back. I'm probably explaining that like poo, but it seemed to give me some more room to see! I have seen mention of a frameless mirror but I have not looked heavy into it, you may try a google search there
2010 ABM 2SS/RS LS3 6 Speed -- Rotofab CAI | Speed Engineering 1 7/8" Longtubes w/ cat Delete | Magnaflow competition catback | TSP 231/246 cam| TSP/PAC .660" Spring Kit | TSP CNC Ported Heads | Bo White PTB | GPI Ported/RM Intake | 3.91's | BC Catch Can | MGW Shifter | BMR 1" Drop Springs | BMR Trailing arms/Toe Rods/Rear UCA Bushings | Pegasus Subframe Mounts
go_go_gadget88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 04:19 PM   #10
DMan918

Thanks for all the warm welcomes so far.

I do have the seat down almost completely, but I will continue to play with it. My mirror is not the frameless, and has the camera within it, so I don't think I can adjust it. May just have to deal.

OK, my brother in law just said we can do the header back exhaust in a couple weeks. So.... what should I get? What is the best value long tube header/catback combo? I do want to keep cats if possible. Not only do I feel better from an emissions perspective, but I also don't want all the smell, especially with a 2 year old in the car with me at times. I do want some decent sound, but not anything obnoxious at all. It should be aggressive, but minimal drone when cruising. My plan would be to listen to all the clips in the sticky we have and choose from there, but some direction would be great.

I will need to research tunes. Seems like there are two main ones, but I will have to jump at one since I am pretty dead set on gears and now getting the header.

I had 4.10s in my old mustang cobra and loved them. That's why I was leaning toward (Motive) 4.10s, but if they are all garbage, then maybe I should look at the 3.91s.

I don't plan anything more than maybe header, exhaust, and gears. Don't even think I'll take this as far as cams. I just want some added speed and fun, but really in the 0-80 type of way, so it that it is then a better contender with my daily driver (tuned Audi S4).

Joined the local gen 5 club as well!

Oh to mention this is 100% street vehicle / cruiser. No track use.

Any further thoughts/advice is greatly welcomed!!!

Last edited by DMan918; 06-22-2020 at 06:12 PM.
Old 06-23-2020, 08:00 AM   #11
Greenhornet2

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS LS3 Whipple
speed engineering headers are around $350, but you might have to dimple one tune on the passenger side, I did, but some don't. Borla and corsa both are very good with no drone and have different options for different sound levels. There is a full 3" stainless exhaust out there for around $300 that someone else tried and liked but it was too quiet for them so they modified the mufflers.
Whipple 2.9 CAI ID1050x injectors ZL1 Pump JRE FPCM JMS Voltage booster JRE Rough Idle blower cam BTR .660 springs CHE trunnion kit 1 7/8 Speed Engineering Borla Atak JRE scoop 1.5" lowering springs BMR trailing arms and toe links Cradle inserts 704WHP 603WTQ 93 octane
Greenhornet2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 09:00 AM   #12
DMan918

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenhornet2 View Post
speed engineering headers are around $350, but you might have to dimple one tune on the passenger side, I did, but some don't. Borla and corsa both are very good with no drone and have different options for different sound levels. There is a full 3" stainless exhaust out there for around $300 that someone else tried and liked but it was too quiet for them so they modified the mufflers.
Thanks for the input. I ***think*** I am leaning toward either Texas Speed of Stainless Power (MAYBE OBX, but probably not). Seem like great bang for the buck.

Catbacks, I know corsa and borla are top notch. Just not sure about spending $1k on an catback, unless its really that good. Was also looking at flowmaster or solo. Really have to just hear all the clips and decide, I think. I definitely want something middle of the road on volume. I don't want stock silent, but I don't want obnoxious or much drone.
Old 06-23-2020, 09:09 AM   #13
Badbubba
GrINned & JUICEd

Drives: 15STI, 10Expy, 10 2SS/RS M6, 47KB1
Imo, keep the bezels chrome. Unless you black out the chrome on the bowtie and SS emblem.
GPI SS3 Cam & stuff,N.O. Plate(dedicated fuel tank,progressive,fuel hose upgrade,remote opener,heater,console switches),LNC2000,CTAP,ARH 1 7/8" LTs/gutted cats/X pipe/mufflers,Jet Hot coated LTs,GPI HPT Tune,CAI, Scoop,Rx Catch Can,Gates heater hose relocation, Remote clutch & auto brake res,Metco loop,Momentum Tunnel Brace,TSW Nurb 18",555 & 05,Pfadt trailing arms & toe rods,Autometer WB,Fesler Pillar Pod,LED strips (int),Lloyds floor & trunk mats,LED DRL/front turn & license plate,DRL harness,VLEDs tail lights,Plasticoat Bowties. Ord: Oct 5, 2009 Rec: Nov 19, 2009 13.17@112.6 stock
Badbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 09:26 AM   #14
sinlinson
2016 2SS Convertible

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS convertible
Nice ride! I bought a 2011 SS convertible last June. Did many of the things you're thinking of. Blacked out tail bezels first, seemed so strange that they were the only chrome on the car. $55 on amazon, about 10 minutes to change. Blacked out the rear bowtie while I was at it. Rotofab cold air intake for a couple of horsepower, sounds and looks great. Picked up a 3.91 center section for $750 still need to put that in. Got a tuner from Steve on here to adjust the speedo, and tighten the tune. and I got a Borla Attack cat back for some better sound.
sinlinson is offline   Reply With Quote