Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 07-12-2012, 09:44 PM   #1
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Clay and I: The Breakup

I was turned on to a new potential clay alternative by Todd when he wrote his review on The Speedy Surface Prep Towel. I was a little skeptical, and if you're anything like me, you take everything with a grain of salt when it comes from someone selling you something. That is NOT a knock against Todd, it's just a general thing I live by. If you haven't checked out his thread on it, go find it. It's really great, this is just another perspective.

Name:  IMG_0584.jpg
Views: 4100
Size:  127.9 KB

Anyway, I got a chance to try it today as I muddled through 9.5 hours of detailing my car (still not done ). I'm here to tell you, you can throw your clay away. This thing is amazing, and better than clay in every way I can think of. I'll tell you why.

First of all, it's FAST. It cut my claying time at least in half, and that's even with me being paranoid about marring with a new product. What you do is mist a panel with clay lube, mist the rubber part of the towel, and just wipe it across. If it gets contaminated, rinse it off in a bucket of water and keep going. The towel is much bigger than a piece of clay and it also clears the paint in less swipes than clay does. Win-win.

Second, it's safe. I keep my paint in probably 90-95% perfect condition at all times, something I have to work at very hard since it's a DD. I noticed no marring whatsoever under garage lights and the Brinkmann. I didn't post pics because, well it's hard to post pics of what doesn't happen...

Third, it's easier to use. What I mean by this is it's easier to know when you're done. The towel acts/feels like the baggy does when you're testing your paint. You can feel all the grit and then feel it become smooth. You don't get that with clay.

Fourth, it's more economical. A cheap clay kit can cost you $20, and usually comes with 2 clay bars. For me, that's usually about 4-6 cars. This towel claims to be good for up to 100 cars, and costs $60. To get to 100 cars, I'd have to spend upward of $300 on the clay kits.

Fifth, what's the most frustrating thing about clay? You're working a panel, getting it all smoothed out and it slips out of your hand. Great, now you have to throw it away and get a new piece. What if that happens with the Speed Towel? You rinse it off in water and continue. Love it.

If I had one complaint, it's that it's difficult to tell when the black rubber becomes contaminated. With clay, you can see it and you know when to fold. It's hard to know when to rinse off the towel, but I did it after every panel to be safe. Maybe if the rubber was a different color it would be easier. I know that's not much of a "flaw" but I had to try to come up with something.

This is my absolute favorite new product I've tried in a long, long time. I honestly would've paid twice as much as I did after trying it. It's THAT good. I'm extremely pleased and doubt I'll ever go back to clay. I may keep a bar on hand for some really nasty crap, but this is the future for me. I just wish I had found it sooner.

Last edited by CamaroDreams07; 07-12-2012 at 10:02 PM.
CamaroDreams07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 09:49 PM   #2
its a syn
B.O.D. 02/16/10

Drives: 2010 SGM Sp. Edition 2017 RS Conver
Sounds like a good deal if you are going to clay that many cars.
Old 07-12-2012, 09:59 PM   #3
CamaroDreams07

Quote:
Originally Posted by its a syn View Post
Even if you clay one. It's so much easier and more effective.
Old 07-12-2012, 10:01 PM   #4
Iwantone2
Voice Of The Voiceless

Drives: CGM 1SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by its a syn View Post
Or if you are going to have your car looking good for many, many years to come.

Thanks for the review CamaroDreams! I might have to go crawling back to my car shampoo store and pick one of these up.
Old 07-12-2012, 11:41 PM   #5
Iomcamaro
The enjoyment never ends

Drives: 2010 1LT/RS IOM #25223
Great review Matt. I'm picking one of these up as soon as I get paid. Just so every1 knows, this is the fine grade (grey colored towel). If you pick up the blue towel elsewhere, you will get a lot of marring as it is more course. Same with the autoscrub system. There is a blue fine pad now that doesn't mar.
Iomcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 11:57 PM   #6
ChadG

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro LS
Good to know, I just sent a NanoSkin back to Detailer's Domain and was planning on sticking with the clay I have on hand. Once I'm out, I may pull the switch. Thanks for the review, but your skill level is higher than that of most of us - how would you recommend it for someone who is more of a novice?
ChadG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 07:31 AM   #7
CamaroDreams07

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadG View Post
Good to know, I just sent a NanoSkin back to Detailer's Domain and was planning on sticking with the clay I have on hand. Once I'm out, I may pull the switch. Thanks for the review, but your skill level is higher than that of most of us - how would you recommend it for someone who is more of a novice?
The more novice you are, the more I'd recommend it. It makes it so much easier to decon your paint.
Old 07-13-2012, 08:04 AM   #8
Todd@Autopia

Drives: 2010 Mazdaspeed 3
Very nice review!
Todd@Autopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 09:17 AM   #9
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Drives: #198
nice! I may buy this at some point. No clay left, so might as well Thanks for the review!

Please check out my youtube detailing channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/roshan517

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you will be successful."
ihaveacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 09:20 AM   #10
strych9
I'll be back...

Drives: Subaru, HD Road Glide Special
My detail guy used this towel on my car. He was raving about it.
Old 07-13-2012, 12:18 PM   #11
Angelo@Autopia

Drives: 2014 Ford Focus ST
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
I was turned on to a new potential clay alternative by Todd when he wrote his review on The Speedy Surface Prep Towel. I was a little skeptical, and if you're anything like me, you take everything with a grain of salt when it comes from someone selling you something. That is NOT a knock against Todd, it's just a general thing I live by. If you haven't checked out his thread on it, go find it. It's really great, this is just another perspective.

Attachment 397272

Anyway, I got a chance to try it today as I muddled through 9.5 hours of detailing my car (still not done ). I'm here to tell you, you can throw your clay away. This thing is amazing, and better than clay in every way I can think of. I'll tell you why.

First of all, it's FAST. It cut my claying time at least in half, and that's even with me being paranoid about marring with a new product. What you do is mist a panel with clay lube, mist the rubber part of the towel, and just wipe it across. If it gets contaminated, rinse it off in a bucket of water and keep going. The towel is much bigger than a piece of clay and it also clears the paint in less swipes than clay does. Win-win.

Second, it's safe. I keep my paint in probably 90-95% perfect condition at all times, something I have to work at very hard since it's a DD. I noticed no marring whatsoever under garage lights and the Brinkmann. I didn't post pics because, well it's hard to post pics of what doesn't happen...

Third, it's easier to use. What I mean by this is it's easier to know when you're done. The towel acts/feels like the baggy does when you're testing your paint. You can feel all the grit and then feel it become smooth. You don't get that with clay.

Fourth, it's more economical. A cheap clay kit can cost you $20, and usually comes with 2 clay bars. For me, that's usually about 4-6 cars. This towel claims to be good for up to 100 cars, and costs $60. To get to 100 cars, I'd have to spend upward of $300 on the clay kits.

Fifth, what's the most frustrating thing about clay? You're working a panel, getting it all smoothed out and it slips out of your hand. Great, now you have to throw it away and get a new piece. What if that happens with the Speed Towel? You rinse it off in water and continue. Love it.

If I had one complaint, it's that it's difficult to tell when the black rubber becomes contaminated. With clay, you can see it and you know when to fold. It's hard to know when to rinse off the towel, but I did it after every panel to be safe. Maybe if the rubber was a different color it would be easier. I know that's not much of a "flaw" but I had to try to come up with something.

This is my absolute favorite new product I've tried in a long, long time. I honestly would've paid twice as much as I did after trying it. It's THAT good. I'm extremely pleased and doubt I'll ever go back to clay. I may keep a bar on hand for some really nasty crap, but this is the future for me. I just wish I had found it sooner.
Great review on a new way on removing the contamination off your car.
Angelo@Autopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 12:54 PM   #12
Bluestreak 2010

Drives: IBM 2010 Camaro LS
Thanks for the review. I have never clayed before but recently purchased some deatiling supplies from Adam's, so I need to first. It looks like I will be picking this up as well!
Bluestreak 2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 02:19 PM   #13
CamaroDreams07

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihaveacamaro View Post
nice! I may buy this at some point. No clay left, so might as well Thanks for the review!
That's what convinced me to take the plunge, too. I accidentally dumped ALL of my clay off of my shelf onto the ground. $60 worth of primarily new clay in the garbage...
Old 07-13-2012, 10:19 PM   #14
Edscapade
Edscapade

Drives: 2011 SS Camaro
Appreciate the write up. It is always hard to try a new product on our cars. Glad this towel works. As always it is nice to have members true feedback.

Thanks again,
Ed
Edscapade is offline   Reply With Quote