Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-02-2020, 09:06 AM   #15
Batmanntexas

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS (2SS)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomorro View Post
Well I took the plunge. Picked up a 10" powered pioneer, amp kit, thump harness, about $260 total.

I understand the value of better components for the subwoofer but I just have a salty wound after having 3 subwoofer setups stolen in 3 different cars where I went all out.

So cheaper is more appealing these days hahah. I will post up the results when I install it.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Sounds like you got a pretty good deal for all of those components! Interested to hear about your results/experience with the thump harness.
I'm rocking an old school, single, Infinity Kappa Perfect 12" in a sealed box, powered by an MTX-Thunder 801D amp.
Rather than use a thump harness, I chose to use an AudioControl LC2i to provide an input signal to the amp.

-Scott

COTW 9/8/14
Batmanntexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 09:28 AM   #16
SSkat

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
I almost went with a sa-8 in mine but ended up doing the sa12 in a ported box on 600 rms. It beats plenty for me but is a little on the heavy side. I think my setup is around 60lbs. Ive heard good thing about the sundown 8's though.
SSkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 10:35 AM   #17
mbesman
Great White

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeman View Post
I have the RF self-powered 10" in mine and it thumps pretty good. It doesn't blast the ghetto, but I wouldn't want it to. I bought it for good bass when I'm in the car and it does just that.

The nice thing is it fits like a glove right under the rear package shelf in the trunk and it doesn't slide around with a little velcro on the top. One of the best mods I've done to date.
THIS! I did the same. Super easy install. It really thumps, probably louder than I need it but is adjustable. It totally woke my system up. I tried other methods and amps and this was perfect.
Old 01-02-2020, 10:45 AM   #18
Chomorro

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbesman View Post
THIS! I did the same. Super easy install. It really thumps, probably louder than I need it but is adjustable. It totally woke my system up. I tried other methods and amps and this was perfect.
I'm looking forward to the improvement. I decided against amplifying my factory Boston speakers. I struggled with that decision hahha since the factory amp replacement harness would have made it easier but cost would have doubled and I read some people accidentally blow the factory speakers.

Chomorro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 10:45 PM   #19
Chomorro

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
How are you guys mounting these boxes without having to screw brackets into the carpet?

I want to be able to easily remove it to access the battery. I was thinking thr velcro trunk organizer might be strong enough

Chomorro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 11:32 PM   #20
15RS2NV
Ponies are for girls

Drives: 2015 RS LFX Red Hot A6
i'm deaf so other than feeling it it'd be a waste.
H&R 1.8/1.7” drop, Overkill 80mm + intake ported by AFS, 1" insulator MACE, Accel Super Coils, THR cai, JET MAF sensor, Hurst shifter handle, GPP strut tower brace, CI ice cube tray hood vents (functional) @SemperFiCamaro
15RS2NV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 06:38 AM   #21
mikeman
Banned

Drives: 2015 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomorro View Post
How are you guys mounting these boxes without having to screw brackets into the carpet?

I want to be able to easily remove it to access the battery. I was thinking thr velcro trunk organizer might be strong enough

If you get the RF self powered 10", the box slides right under the upper rear seat frame bracket in the trunk. It fits so snug that you really don't need velcro. However, on mine I noticed it would slide around a bit going around sharp turns at speed. So, I added some heavy duty velcro between the top of the box and the bottom of the bracket in the trunk. It doesn't slide around no matter what now.

Accessing the battery in the trunk is no problem. The RF box sits forward, right in back of the back seat, with the speaker facing towards the rear. The trunk compartment cover can be lifted off to access the spare tire/battery.

With the larger 12", there may be some issues with the cover because the sub woofer box is physically taller and will not fit as far forward under the rear seat bracket frame inside the trunk. This is one of the reasons why I decided to go with the smaller 10" instead of the 12". The single 10" provides a enough bass for me so I'm happy with how it all turned out. And, it looks factory when you open the trunk.
mikeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 10:04 PM   #22
byrds8

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS, L99
I have two 10" Kicker comps forward facing in the trunk with a 600W kicker Amp mounted to the rear of the box. Also added the bass control knob so it can be changed on the fly. Usually only run it around 1/3 the way up and it sounds great.
2013 Camaro SS/RS, Stainless Power long tube headers with HF's, Air Raid CAI, Solo Mach XL cat back, BC Racing coil overs, Elite Engineering catch can, Ferrada Forge 8 Wheels, Windows tinted at 20%, Tuned by Dyno Steve.
byrds8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 11:15 AM   #23
TommyTheCat
SHKE BKE

Drives: 2013 Camaro
I'd get at least a 10", I've got 2 10 JLs but kinda wish I would've gotten a single 12" with the side mount I've seen online. I probably will eventually but have been putting it off
TommyTheCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 02:57 PM   #24
cfosceola

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1
I have the RF P300-12, fits snug in the back and has plenty of bass, before I changed out the HU I just tapped into the rears with the HI/LOW connection, since the change I ran rca's the the HU and have more control over the sound
cfosceola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 03:33 PM   #25
Danial

Drives: 2013 SS/RS, 2015 Camaro SS/RS Vert
I have twin Alpine 12s and a Rockford Fosgate that came out of my Mustang GT. Not hooked up yet but soon.
Danial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 08:15 PM   #26
lemontwist

Drives: 12 2SS/RS L99,11 2SS/RS LS3totaled
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyTheCat View Post
I'd get at least a 10", I've got 2 10 JLs but kinda wish I would've gotten a single 12" with the side mount I've seen online. I probably will eventually but have been putting it off
i hear ya excuse the pun.
i have been running 10's then sorta upgraded to a set of sundown 10's. this weekend pullin the 10's and i'm putting my 1 RF HX2 12 in it ported to 35htz. i have run 1 sub for years sometimes 1-15 most the time 1-12.i fully expect to be quite happy.
lemontwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 09:02 PM   #27
OHIOSS
Russ

Drives: Yukon Denali, Charger, CamaroSS
Send a message via AIM to OHIOSS
Quote:
Originally Posted by tartagliazl1 View Post
I have a 10” Rockford p2 and it hits hard if you want it too.
Same that I have and it's plenty. If I could just get the back deck to stop rattling I would like it better.
OHIOSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 04:57 PM   #28
byrds8

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS, L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHIOSS View Post
Same that I have and it's plenty. If I could just get the back deck to stop rattling I would like it better.

You sure its the rear deck? I have rattle but its the two vents inside the rear quarters that are making all the noise.
2013 Camaro SS/RS, Stainless Power long tube headers with HF's, Air Raid CAI, Solo Mach XL cat back, BC Racing coil overs, Elite Engineering catch can, Ferrada Forge 8 Wheels, Windows tinted at 20%, Tuned by Dyno Steve.
byrds8 is offline   Reply With Quote