Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 09-14-2013, 01:59 PM   #1
trooper182

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1LT yellow non RS
Camaro just lost power on highway!

So was heading back from the store a little while ago and went to pass a truck and suddenly lost power. The car is shaking and the RPMs are not stable. It also smells like gas as if the car is running rich. I let the car sit for a while and tried starting it again and it took almost 5 seconds for it to turn over and barely did so. I took the car to auto zone and had them pull the error codes. It is throwing code P0089. It was also showing misfire on cylinders 1,3,5. Trying to do some research on the code and all I am getting is fuel rail pressure regulator. Anybody ever have something like this happen? I was able to get it home ok but with lots of hesitation and surging. Not good as this is my only mode of transportation. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I would like to fix this myself as I am at 51000 miles and the dealer will charge me out the butt.

Staff Sergeant U.S. Army 13B Gun Bunny. 2011 Camaro 1LT A6 Mods: Pypes bomb V8 exhaust, Magnaflow x-pipe, resonator delete, Roto-Fab cold air intake, Vmax Black Ice-olator, Elite Engineering catch can, painted engine cover and fuse box cover, 3dCarbon Front Fender Vents, Street Scene Front Splitter, ZL1 Side Rockers, Anvil Notch Rear Spoiler, interior/engine bay LED lights, two JL Audio W3's 10" and 1000w kenwood amp
trooper182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 02:24 PM   #2
JL_s

Drives: 2013 Camaro LS
Why would they charge you? At 51,000 miles you are still under the powertrain warranty.
JL_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 02:32 PM   #3
Ohten

Drives: Granite Crystal Challenger SRT
Fuel rail pressure and smelling fuel,look for any obvious leaks.You may have an injector or multiple injectors hanging open and or clogged.Just for a quick fix get some fuel injector cleaner and run it through the tank.

Or see if you can find a can of cleaner that will tap into your fuel rail which is a lot faster at cleaning them out.When was the last time you fueled up and where?
Old 09-14-2013, 02:45 PM   #4
z28-conv

Drives: '97 z-28 conv. 2013 BRM ZL1 conv.
Could also be your fuel pump? may be clogged?
z28-conv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 02:47 PM   #5
sycraft
COTW 5/06/2013

Drives: 2017 Corvette Grand Sport-Ho-Vette
Service Information

2011 Chevrolet Camaro | Camaro VIN F Service Manual | Document ID: 2202370
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DTC P0087, P0088, or P0089
Diagnostic Instructions•Perform the Diagnostic System Check - Vehicle prior to using this diagnostic procedure.
•Review Strategy Based Diagnosis for an overview of the diagnostic approach.
•Diagnostic Procedure Instructions provides an overview of each diagnostic category.
DTC DescriptorsDTC P0087
Fuel Rail Low Pressure

DTC P0088
Fuel Rail High Pressure

DTC P0089
Fuel Pressure Regulator Performance

Circuit/System DescriptionThe fuel rail pressure sensor detects fuel pressure within the fuel rail. The engine control module (ECM) provides a 5 V reference voltage on the 5 V reference circuit and ground on the low reference circuit. The ECM receives a varying signal voltage on the signal circuit.

High pressure fuel is regulated by the high pressure fuel pump actuator, which is a part of the high pressure fuel pump. The high pressure fuel pump actuator is a solenoid valve. The ECM provides a voltage on the actuator high control circuit and ground on the actuator low control circuit. Both circuits are controlled through output drivers within the ECM. When deactivated, both drivers are disabled. When activated, the high control circuit driver energizes the high pressure fuel pump actuator and the low control circuit driver pulse-width modulates (PWM) the low control circuit to ground.

The high pressure mechanical fuel pump is driven by three lobes on the camshaft. The ECM uses the camshaft and crankshaft position sensor inputs to synchronize the high pressure fuel pump actuator with the position of each of the camshaft lobes. The ECM regulates fuel pressure by adjusting the portion of each pump stroke that provides fuel to the rail.

The ECM monitors the fuel rail pressure sensor and the high pressure fuel pump actuator to determine if the commanded and actual pressure are within a predetermined range, or if the amount of fuel pressure correction exceeds a calibrated pressure.

Conditions for Running the DTC•DTC P0090, P0091, P0092, P0191, P0192, or P0193 is not set.
•The ignition voltage is less than 18 V.
•The deceleration fuel cut-off (DFCO) is inactive.
•The engine speed is greater than 25 RPM.
•The air bag is not deployed.
•DTCs P0087, P0088, and P0089 run continuously when the above conditions are met for 5 seconds.
Conditions for Setting the DTCP0087

The actual fuel rail pressure is 1.5 MPa (218 psi) less than the desired fuel pressure. The condition exists for greater than 5 seconds.

P0088

The actual fuel rail pressure is 3.6 MPa (522 psi) greater than the desired fuel rail pressure. The condition exists for greater than 5 seconds.

P0089

The high pressure fuel pump actuator command necessary to maintain the desired fuel rail pressure is +/−2.5 MPa (363 psi) of the command expected by the controller. The condition exists for greater than 5 seconds.

Action Taken When the DTC Sets•DTCs P0087, P0088, and P0089 are Type A DTCs.
•A message center or an indicator displays Reduced Engine Power.
Conditions for Clearing the DTCDTCs P0087, P0088, and P0089 are Type A DTCs.

Diagnostic Aids•A restricted fuel feed pipe between the fuel feed pipe fuel pressure sensor and the high pressure fuel pump may set a DTC.
•A condition with the fuel tank fuel pump module or the fuel pump flow control module may set a DTC.
•A skewed fuel rail pressure sensor or an intermittent condition in the fuel rail pressure sensor circuits may set a DTC.
•A leaking or restricted fuel injector may set a DTC.
Reference InformationSchematic Reference
Engine Controls Schematics

Connector End View Reference
Component Connector End Views

Description and Operation
Fuel System Description

Electrical Information Reference
•Circuit Testing
•Connector Repairs
•Testing for Intermittent Conditions and Poor Connections
•Wiring Repairs
DTC Type Reference
Powertrain Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) Type Definitions

Scan Tool Reference
Control Module References for scan tool information

Circuit/System Verification 1. Observe the DTC information with a scan tool. DTC P029D, P02A1, P02A5, P02A9, P02AD, P02B1, P0627, P0628, P0629, P069E, or U0109 should not set.
If a DTC is set refer to Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) List - Vehicle.
 2. Attempt to start and idle the engine.
 3. Observe the DTC information with a scan tool. DTCs P0087, P0088, and P0089 should not set.
 4. Engine idling, observe the Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor parameter with a scan tool. The pressure should be approximately 3.5–5.5 Mpa (508–798 psi).
 5. Command an increase and decrease in fuel rail pressure with a scan tool. Observe the scan tool Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor parameter. The Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor should increase or decrease with each commanded state.
 6. Operate the vehicle within the Conditions for Running the DTC to verify the DTC does not reset. You may also operate the vehicle within the conditions that you observed from the Freeze Frame/Failure Records data.
Circuit/System TestingNote: Circuit/System Verification must be performed first or misdiagnosis may result.

 1. Ignition ON, observe the scan tool fuel pump control module (FPCM) fuel line pressure sensor parameter. Command an increase in the fuel line pressure with a scan tool. Verify the fuel line pressure increases to greater than 410 kPa (60 psi) as commanded.
If the less than the specified range, refer to Fuel System Diagnosis.
Note: As little as 2 Ω on either circuit of the high pressure fuel pump actuator will cause these DTCs to set. Test the circuits of the high pressure fuel pump actuator for a high resistance if you suspect a condition.

 2. Remove the Q18 high pressure fuel pump assembly and visually inspect the lobes on the camshaft for unusual wear.
If the lobes appear normal, replace the Q18high pressure fuel pump assembly.
If the lobes are worn, replace the camshaft.
Component TestingStatic Test
 1. Ignition OFF, disconnect the harness connector at the high pressure fuel pump.
Note: The DMM and test leads must be calibrated to 0 Ω in order to prevent misdiagnosis.

 2. Test for 0.35–0.6 Ω at 20°C (68°F) between low control circuit terminal 1 and high control circuit terminal 2.
If the resistance is less than 0.3 Ω or greater than 0.6 Ω, replace the high pressure fuel pump.
 3. Test for infinite resistance between each terminal and the high pressure fuel pump housing/case.
If not the specified value, replace the high pressure fuel pump.
Dynamic Test

Engine idling, command the Fuel Pressure Control to Increase with a scan tool. The Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor parameter should increase with each command.

If the Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor parameter does not increase with each command, replace the G18 high pressure fuel pump.
Repair InstructionsPerform the Diagnostic Repair Verification after completing the diagnostic procedure.

•Camshaft Removal - Left Side
•Fuel Pump Replacement
Old 09-14-2013, 02:48 PM   #6
trooper182

Last time I put fuel in was on post at AAFES ( I am in the army). I looked and am not seeing any fuel leaks anywhere. I also added injector cleaner a tank ago. I am about half way threw this tank of gas. I am wondering if the high pressure fuel pump is going out. I went out to start the car again after sitting for about 2 hours and it started right up and seemed like it was running fine but then it would loose power briefly and return back to normal.
Staff Sergeant U.S. Army 13B Gun Bunny. 2011 Camaro 1LT A6 Mods: Pypes bomb V8 exhaust, Magnaflow x-pipe, resonator delete, Roto-Fab cold air intake, Vmax Black Ice-olator, Elite Engineering catch can, painted engine cover and fuse box cover, 3dCarbon Front Fender Vents, Street Scene Front Splitter, ZL1 Side Rockers, Anvil Notch Rear Spoiler, interior/engine bay LED lights, two JL Audio W3's 10" and 1000w kenwood amp
Old 09-14-2013, 02:49 PM   #7
trooper182

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL_s View Post
Why would they charge you? At 51,000 miles you are still under the powertrain warranty.
Fuel system is not covered.

Engine
Engine coverage includes all internally lubricated parts, engine oil cooling hoses, and lines. Also included are all actuators and electrical components internal to the engine (e.g., Active Fuel Management valve, lifter and oil manifold) cylinder head, block, timing gears, timing chain, timing cover, oil pump/oil pump housing, OHC carriers, valve covers, oil pan, seals, gaskets, manifolds, flywheel, water pump, harmonic balancer, engine mount, turbocharger, and supercharger. Timing belts are covered until the first scheduled maintenance interval. Exclusions: Excluded from the powertrain coverage are sensors, wiring, connectors, engine radiator, coolant hoses, coolant, and heater core. Coverage on the engine cooling system begins at the inlet to the water pump and ends with the thermostat housing and/or outlet that attaches to the return hose. Also excluded is the starter motor, entire pressurized fuel system (in-tank fuel pump, pressure lines, fuel rail(s), regulator, injectors, and return line), as well as the Engine/ Powertrain Control Module and/or module programming.
Old 09-14-2013, 02:50 PM   #8
sycraft
COTW 5/06/2013

Drives: 2017 Corvette Grand Sport-Ho-Vette
check federal emissions warranty too
Old 09-14-2013, 03:21 PM   #9
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Drives: 2017 NGM I4 1LT Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by sycraft View Post
check federal emissions warranty too

you my friend are a smart man. you'd think with how much they had to regulate things in the camaro that it's covered under that i'm intereted to see how this turns out.

MY 2017 I4 CAMARO BUILD JOURNAL | YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | 316RWHP - 385 RWTQ HPTUNERS DYNO TUNE | 12.693s @ 105MPH 1/4 Mile
Evil-Bee-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 04:17 PM   #10
trooper182

Ok so I took the car out for a drive. Started up fine and the surging was gone. Took it out and did some high speed run. Car ran fine. I have half a can of seafoam so I am going to seafoam the engine then go get some fuel treatment and top off the tank with 91 and see what happens. I wonder if maybe the computer read something wrong and maybe did this. Seems to run fine now. I will let you all know what happens.
Old 09-14-2013, 05:12 PM   #11
trooper182

Ok so I did the seafoam treatment and also topped off with 93oct fuel from half a tank and added a fuel treatment to the tank. Smoked like crazy from the seafoam but ran fine. Drove it for 10 miles doing various take offs from a stop and also high speed pulls. Seems to be running fine. So I guess I will see how this plays out.
Old 09-14-2013, 05:20 PM   #12
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by trooper182 View Post
So was heading back from the store a little while ago and went to pass a truck and suddenly lost power. The car is shaking and the RPMs are not stable. It also smells like gas as if the car is running rich. I let the car sit for a while and tried starting it again and it took almost 5 seconds for it to turn over and barely did so. I took the car to auto zone and had them pull the error codes. It is throwing code P0089. It was also showing misfire on cylinders 1,3,5. Trying to do some research on the code and all I am getting is fuel rail pressure regulator. Anybody ever have something like this happen? I was able to get it home ok but with lots of hesitation and surging. Not good as this is my only mode of transportation. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I would like to fix this myself as I am at 51000 miles and the dealer will charge me out the butt.

trooper182,

Although an official diagnosis is required, this seems like a potential powertrain-related concern. If you do consider the dealership route, you're more than welcome to contact me via private message for assistance with that process.

Sincerely,

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 05:31 PM   #13
trooper182

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Svc View Post
trooper182,

Although an official diagnosis is required, this seems like a potential powertrain-related concern. If you do consider the dealership route, you're more than welcome to contact me via private message for assistance with that process.

Sincerely,

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Thank you William. The soonest I can get to a dealer at this point is Monday. I have to work tonight and sadly this is my only car so I must drive it. It seems to be running fine now so I will see how it performs. The check engine light is off now. If it happens again my first stop will be to a dealer on Monday.
Old 09-14-2013, 07:30 PM   #14
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by trooper182 View Post
Thank you William. The soonest I can get to a dealer at this point is Monday. I have to work tonight and sadly this is my only car so I must drive it. It seems to be running fine now so I will see how it performs. The check engine light is off now. If it happens again my first stop will be to a dealer on Monday.
I definitely understand. Keep me posted and let me know if you notice the concerns again.

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote