Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 05-16-2018, 09:44 PM   #1
rich2342

Drives: 2010 CGM Camaro SS
Exhaust time!

Now that I have my car I need to do something with the exhaust and have a few hours tomorrow morning.

I have an ebay axle back which I think will be too loud for summer casual drives. So, I stumbled on you tubes of Magna flow Bullets and it sounds so clean and deeper than stock. Also I would be getting an x-pipe. Would this be cleaner/deeper than stock with decel pop as they say?

I will have to settle for whatever the exhaust shop can fab up from the x pipe and axle back which as of now will be the only things changing.

Thoughts or suggestions based on what I am looking for?

Options from the exhaust shop's website. I am leaning magnaflow, but which option below?

Lou's Own SS Signature Series Muffler
At Lou's we are constantly looking for new products and better material to offer to our customers. In 2006, we developed our new Signature Series mufflers - a new innovative line of mufflers developed for our performance customers.

Two Chamber High Performance
With 40 years of experience installing muffler systems, we determined that we could create a better muffler using our own design and manufacturing process. The 2-Chamber SS muffler was designed for our customer interested in performance gains and well as an aggressive deep tone. This was accomplished by increasing the internal flow diameter and using thicker 14-gauge aluminized material (industry standard is thinner 16-gauge). The result is our most aggressive sounding performance muffler.

SS 409 Pro Turbo Stainless Mufflers
Classic car enthusiasts have continuously asked for a deep performance tone muffler without the loud resonance in the vehicle created by many of the highly advertised mufflers on the market. We took the challenge to create a muffler that increased horsepower and at the same time produced a low deeper tone. The SS 409 Pro Turbo stainless muffler has become so popular we have added additional designs to this popular design. The SS 409 Pro Turbo is now available in a Truck Pro Turbo, Import Pro Turbo, Dual Muscle Car Pro Turbo, Dual Truck Turbo as well as the original Classic Car SS 409.

Flowmaster
Flowmaster has been the industry favorite for years. For our customers that live by the Flowmaster sound and name, we carry a full line of Flowmaster mufflers for any application.

40 Series
Available in Original Delta Flow and Super 40. Flowmaster's most aggressive muffler line. We carry both single and dual applications. This two chamber design incorporates Flowmasters patented "Delta Flow" technology. The "Delta" deflectors result in increased scavenging for better performance and reduced interior resonance over the standard 40 series with a nice growl outside the vehicle. Sounds great on late model performance cars with catalytic converters. Constructed of 16 gauge aluminized steel and fully mig-welded for maximum durability.

50 Series
3-Chambered Design. Available in the regular 50 Series as well as the 50 Series SUV. The 50 Series is less aggressive than the 40 Series while still creating the great Flowmaster sound. The 50 SUV muffler reduces internal resonance created by performance mufflers. A great application for customers who spend a lot of their driving time on the highway.

This is the latest design of the 50 series muffler that utilizes Flowmasters patented "Delta Flow" technology along with an Helmholtz Chamber to eliminate most all interior resonance and still have that famous Flowmaster sound outside the vehicle. Constructed of 16 gauge aluminized steel and fully mig-welded for maximum durability.

Big Block
Flowmaster's answer to high displacement engines.

60 Series
Flowmaster's answer to the import craze. Designed for both foreign and american cars with 4 and 6 cylinder engines. The 60 Series incorporates Flowmasters patented "Delta Flow" technology to produce a nice mellow sound for your sport compact car & Truck. A larger diameter tailpipe will create a deeper tone
both inside and outside the vehicle. Constructed of 16 gauge aluminized steel and fully mig-welded for maximum durability.

80 Series
Traverse style muffler commonly used on Camaro style exhaust applications. The 80 Series is designed for applications where the muffler must be mounted transversely (cross-flow) behind the rearend. It provides an aggressive muscle car sound both inside and outside the vehicle. A replacement for early and late model Camaros & Firebirds. Constructed of 16 gauge aluminized steel and fully mig-welded for maximum durability.

Magnaflow
Another industry favorite built in stainless steel with a straight through design. Magnaflow mufflers are popular with our customer with 4- and 6-cylinder vehicles. They also offer the largest muffler for customers with 8-cylinder engines that are interested in performance and increased gas mileage with a softer tone.

Satin Stainless
MagnaFlow Wide Open Performance original designs in long- lasting satin stainless steel in a variety of universal applications for cars, trucks and SUV's.

Stainless Steel
MagnaFlow Wide Open Performance is now available in Polished Stainless Steel. The new muffler features stainless steel body, end caps and perforated core as well as a stainless steel weld bead.

Street Series
The Street Series is designed for the souped up street machine. It features a high flow tuning tube, balanced to the needs of the high revving import engine. The Street Series emits a smooth, deep tone while offering improved performance over OEM equipment. The Street Series is recommended for street cars with bolt-on performance modifications and custom body kits.

Race Series
The Race Series is designed for the ultimate in high performance and an aggressive racecar sound. It features a true straight-through design for maximum high RPM pulling power and a 2.5" or 3" perforated core to virtually eliminate backpressure and maximize exhaust flow. The Race Series is recommended for the serious racer, turbo, nitrous oxide fuel systems, or wild cam applications.

XL Turbo
MagnaFlow XL 3 Chamber Mufflers use a unique combination of large diameter perforated tubing and strategically placed sound baffles to reduce unwanted resonance and help your engine create horsepower. The sound baffles tune the sound waves using calibrated tuning gate openings that allow portions of the waves to pass through. These tuned waves reflect off the back wall of the muffler and cancel out unwanted harsher sounds. The large diameter perforated core eliminates the flow restrictions of a louvered style core. A careful balance between perforation size/spacing and the baffle tuning gate make for a great 3 chamber performance muffler.
rich2342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 09:58 PM   #2
MesaENGR412

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS Black
To me, the x-pipe makes things a little higher pitched due to the velocity of the exhaust being a little higher. It is a good tone, but the baffles that were in my “suitcase” on the L99 were slowing and tuning the exhaust to make it sound “deeper”. This is what I hear in my car and my friend’s Z06 that he x-piped. I just did the x pipe to mine, along with long tube headers and it now has a throatier mid-range bark with some rasp at 60% to wide open throttle, and it does pop on decel a good bit. But, mine also has the SLP loudmouth muffler delete, so it is significantly louder than most... this may or may not be helpful in your quest for your exhaust tone.

As for mufflers, I have heard several LS clips of the mangaflows and they sound great. I would probably go with them over anything from Flowmaster. Especially if you are wanting tuned and somewhat subtle sound and not just balls to the wall loud. Flowmaster sounds decent, don’t get me wrong, but they just aren’t for me.

I guess mine would be the race series in this list.

Here is what mine sounds like...as much as the microphone could handle:
https://youtu.be/Fi55cd4jKbs

-AJH
MesaENGR412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 10:27 PM   #3
sixty9fordkiller
Donkey Dick Cam Camaro

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3 M6
i have magnaflow race series mufflers on mine

part number 14159

one of a kind sound. haven't heard another car that sounds like mine

Bone Stock
sixty9fordkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 12:33 PM   #4
rich2342

Yeah, so the shop wanted 650 for two magnaflow bullet mufflers and x pipe installed. Umm no. Seems pricey without the bling of stainless as well.
Old 05-17-2018, 03:31 PM   #5
sixty9fordkiller
Donkey Dick Cam Camaro

What was the part number on the mufflers?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Bone Stock
Old 05-17-2018, 04:24 PM   #6
Joe Schmo

Drives: 2010 SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich2342 View Post
Yeah, so the shop wanted 650 for two magnaflow bullet mufflers and x pipe installed. Umm no. Seems pricey without the bling of stainless as well.
Did you already buy the mufflers, or are the mufflers being purchased from the shop at that price?

Also, I'll ask you the same question that was asked of me when I was making my initial exhaust decisions last year. Is this an L99 or LS3?
Joe Schmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 07:15 PM   #7
rich2342

Just looked under the car and found the Res has been removed and appears to have dynomax mufflers in line out to stock trash cans. It does have a nice decel pop, but still quiet. I knew it seemed a bit deeper than stock.
Attached Images

Old 05-17-2018, 07:17 PM   #8
rich2342

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Schmo View Post
Did you already buy the mufflers, or are the mufflers being purchased from the shop at that price?

Also, I'll ask you the same question that was asked of me when I was making my initial exhaust decisions last year. Is this an L99 or LS3?

No mufflers purchased yet. Shop pricing w labor for the pair w x pipe
Old 05-18-2018, 10:30 AM   #9
FlowmasterMufflers

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Now that I have my car I need to do something with the exhaust and have a few hours tomorrow morning.

I have an ebay axle back which I think will be too loud for summer casual drives. So, I stumbled on you tubes of Magna flow Bullets and it sounds so clean and deeper than stock. Also I would be getting an x-pipe. Would this be cleaner/deeper than stock with decel pop as they say?

I will have to settle for whatever the exhaust shop can fab up from the x pipe and axle back which as of now will be the only things changing.

Thoughts or suggestions based on what I am looking for?

Options from the exhaust shop's website. I am leaning magnaflow, but which option below?

Lou's Own SS Signature Series Muffler
At Lou's we are constantly looking for new products and better material to offer to our customers. In 2006, we developed our new Signature Series mufflers - a new innovative line of mufflers developed for our performance customers.

Two Chamber High Performance
With 40 years of experience installing muffler systems, we determined that we could create a better muffler using our own design and manufacturing process. The 2-Chamber SS muffler was designed for our customer interested in performance gains and well as an aggressive deep tone. This was accomplished by increasing the internal flow diameter and using thicker 14-gauge aluminized material (industry standard is thinner 16-gauge). The result is our most aggressive sounding performance muffler.

SS 409 Pro Turbo Stainless Mufflers
Classic car enthusiasts have continuously asked for a deep performance tone muffler without the loud resonance in the vehicle created by many of the highly advertised mufflers on the market. We took the challenge to create a muffler that increased horsepower and at the same time produced a low deeper tone. The SS 409 Pro Turbo stainless muffler has become so popular we have added additional designs to this popular design. The SS 409 Pro Turbo is now available in a Truck Pro Turbo, Import Pro Turbo, Dual Muscle Car Pro Turbo, Dual Truck Turbo as well as the original Classic Car SS 409.

Flowmaster
Flowmaster has been the industry favorite for years. For our customers that live by the Flowmaster sound and name, we carry a full line of Flowmaster mufflers for any application.

40 Series
Available in Original Delta Flow and Super 40. Flowmaster's most aggressive muffler line. We carry both single and dual applications. This two chamber design incorporates Flowmasters patented "Delta Flow" technology. The "Delta" deflectors result in increased scavenging for better performance and reduced interior resonance over the standard 40 series with a nice growl outside the vehicle. Sounds great on late model performance cars with catalytic converters. Constructed of 16 gauge aluminized steel and fully mig-welded for maximum durability.

50 Series
3-Chambered Design. Available in the regular 50 Series as well as the 50 Series SUV. The 50 Series is less aggressive than the 40 Series while still creating the great Flowmaster sound. The 50 SUV muffler reduces internal resonance created by performance mufflers. A great application for customers who spend a lot of their driving time on the highway.

This is the latest design of the 50 series muffler that utilizes Flowmasters patented "Delta Flow" technology along with an Helmholtz Chamber to eliminate most all interior resonance and still have that famous Flowmaster sound outside the vehicle. Constructed of 16 gauge aluminized steel and fully mig-welded for maximum durability.

Big Block
Flowmaster's answer to high displacement engines.

60 Series
Flowmaster's answer to the import craze. Designed for both foreign and american cars with 4 and 6 cylinder engines. The 60 Series incorporates Flowmasters patented "Delta Flow" technology to produce a nice mellow sound for your sport compact car & Truck. A larger diameter tailpipe will create a deeper tone
both inside and outside the vehicle. Constructed of 16 gauge aluminized steel and fully mig-welded for maximum durability.

80 Series
Traverse style muffler commonly used on Camaro style exhaust applications. The 80 Series is designed for applications where the muffler must be mounted transversely (cross-flow) behind the rearend. It provides an aggressive muscle car sound both inside and outside the vehicle. A replacement for early and late model Camaros & Firebirds. Constructed of 16 gauge aluminized steel and fully mig-welded for maximum durability.

Magnaflow
Another industry favorite built in stainless steel with a straight through design. Magnaflow mufflers are popular with our customer with 4- and 6-cylinder vehicles. They also offer the largest muffler for customers with 8-cylinder engines that are interested in performance and increased gas mileage with a softer tone.

Satin Stainless
MagnaFlow Wide Open Performance original designs in long- lasting satin stainless steel in a variety of universal applications for cars, trucks and SUV's.

Stainless Steel
MagnaFlow Wide Open Performance is now available in Polished Stainless Steel. The new muffler features stainless steel body, end caps and perforated core as well as a stainless steel weld bead.

Street Series
The Street Series is designed for the souped up street machine. It features a high flow tuning tube, balanced to the needs of the high revving import engine. The Street Series emits a smooth, deep tone while offering improved performance over OEM equipment. The Street Series is recommended for street cars with bolt-on performance modifications and custom body kits.

Race Series
The Race Series is designed for the ultimate in high performance and an aggressive racecar sound. It features a true straight-through design for maximum high RPM pulling power and a 2.5" or 3" perforated core to virtually eliminate backpressure and maximize exhaust flow. The Race Series is recommended for the serious racer, turbo, nitrous oxide fuel systems, or wild cam applications.

XL Turbo
MagnaFlow XL 3 Chamber Mufflers use a unique combination of large diameter perforated tubing and strategically placed sound baffles to reduce unwanted resonance and help your engine create horsepower. The sound baffles tune the sound waves using calibrated tuning gate openings that allow portions of the waves to pass through. These tuned waves reflect off the back wall of the muffler and cancel out unwanted harsher sounds. The large diameter perforated core eliminates the flow restrictions of a louvered style core. A careful balance between perforation size/spacing and the baffle tuning gate make for a great 3 chamber performance muffler.
Looks like you have quite a few exhaust options to choose from. If you're looking for a moderate-sounding replacement muffler the Super 50 may be the way to go. A slightly more aggressive option would be our 50 Series Delta Flow. Our sister company Hurst currently has a moderate-sounding Cat-back system (part# 6350002) built from 304S stainless steel with mandrel bent piping, X-pipe crossover and a lifetime, limited warranty. I recommend this system because it is currently on clearance at hurst-shifters.com and most enthusiasts can install it themselves with basic hand tools, no cutting or welding needed. If you'd like additional exhaust recommendations or just have questions about any of our intake and exhaust products for your Camaro feel free to PM me or call us at 707-544-4761.

- Jason @ Hurst
FlowmasterMufflers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 11:08 AM   #10
Livernois Motorsports

Drives: 2010 Camaro 454 LSX (SOLD)
Looks like my post on your welcome thread was more serious than I thought!

I would throw our catback system into the mix. Very high quality piece made for us by Corsa so you will not have any drone. We have these in stock and ready to go!

https://www.livernoismotorsports.com/product/LPP14951
Livernois Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 11:13 AM   #11
xc_SS/RS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
Just looked under the car and found the Res has been removed and appears to have dynomax mufflers in line out to stock trash cans. It does have a nice decel pop, but still quiet. I knew it seemed a bit deeper than stock.
i see you still have the stock cats/manifolds. are you planning on going to longtubes?
Z/28 intake, NW, FAST 102, speed engineering LT's, some exhaust, ATI -10% pulley, GM flex fuel injectors, DSX flex fuel sensor, MGW shifter, HP Tuners, some suspension work, stickers and a little weight loss. 12.63 @113.53
xc_SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 07:02 PM   #12
TWOFORTYZ

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1SS 6M
I like my hooker cat back. It is very quiet at idle and when driving normally, I can barely hear it. Still quiet and easy to maintain a phone conversation while driving at full throttle, others may think it is loud at full load but years of straight piped motorcycles have adjusted my standards.
Old 05-22-2018, 07:38 PM   #13
rich2342

Ok.. so:

Based on how the car sits now in the pics I attached with the two apparent glass packs in place of resonator would removing the rear stock mufflers for pipes be loud/raspy?

I want deep and clean with nice decel noise.
Old 05-23-2018, 11:26 AM   #14
sixty9fordkiller
Donkey Dick Cam Camaro

Quote:
Ok.. so:

Based on how the car sits now in the pics I attached with the two apparent glass packs in place of resonator would removing the rear stock mufflers for pipes be loud/raspy?

I want deep and clean with nice decel noise.

With stock manifolds it won't be too loud.

Bone Stock