Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 03-16-2010, 10:33 PM   #15
600hp-lpe

Drives: 2010
Nice mod Pete.. Excellent write up. I like it!

They look like they will do the job nicely.
600hp-lpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 06:19 AM   #16
Mark H

Drives: 04 Denali
Very nice brakes

But Officer, I swear its just a vacuum leak.

Those red things? those are smog pumps!

2004 Sierra Denali ----- 2/4 drop
LSX 438 TWIN TURBO

LSX Block Video
Block number 00370. Build Date 04/17/2007
Mark H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 09:41 AM   #17
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKIN' 'BOUT!!!

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 09:55 AM   #18
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
The best part is they are all GM OEM engineered and validated. It is cost effective braking solution that works really well as proven with a 'Ring' record.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 10:00 AM   #19
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
The best part is they are all GM OEM engineered and validated. It is cost effective braking solution that works really well as proven with a 'Ring' record.
and . So far, this solution makes the most sense. When I buy parts, I try to anticipate what I'll need to do when it comes time to service them; in this case, for brakes, what happens when I need pads, or what happens if I need to replace a piston or something. Well, that's easy, because I can go straight to a Cadillac dealership with this solution. (I'll admit that I don't know what, if any, parts are servicable on these calipers, but knowing that they are GM parts, with part numbers, gives me confidence that I won't have to chase my tail trying to find parts if the need arrises).

Well done, and brilliant thinking, IMVHO.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
Old 03-17-2010, 10:00 AM   #20
radz28
Petro-sexual

Also - isn't there a brake upgrade from Cadillac too, for the rotors and pads; cross-drilled or something? That should work too, I suppose.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Old 03-17-2010, 10:40 AM   #21
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by radz282003 View Post
Also - isn't there a brake upgrade from Cadillac too, for the rotors and pads; cross-drilled or something? That should work too, I suppose.
There are SUPPOSED to be two piece (aluminum hat bolted to an iron rotor) rotors. They were sold as the J63 option for the CTS-V in 2009. The option was discontinued for 2010. The calipers were red, but the same as the silver in function as were the pads. Only the front rotor was different. They are NOT a GM part. They are supposed to be available from Brembo and are not. After much research into the mystery of the missing two piece rotors (thank you Witt Buick Pedders and my secret sources) I can tell you they are not currently available, BUT will be down the road.

Cadillac recommends the rotors be changed with the pads (there is a surprise for performance brakes LOL) so my guess is that some time later this year or early next year we will all be updating pads and rotors based on wear and the availability of the two piece rotors.

As for slots and holes -- I am not a big fan. Modern pads do not gas like the older pads making the slots and holes of minimal value. Granted some high end designs like the carbon ceramic ZR1 have holes. I run no holes and no slots for maximum clamping heat tolerance. Crude brake ducts are critical on our cars as there is little air flow to cool the brakes. This is just my opinion and not absolute certain fact as would be my opinion on anything suspension related
Old 03-17-2010, 11:18 AM   #22
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
There are SUPPOSED to be two piece (aluminum hat bolted to an iron rotor) rotors. They were sold as the J63 option for the CTS-V in 2009. The option was discontinued for 2010. The calipers were red, but the same as the silver in function as were the pads. Only the front rotor was different. They are NOT a GM part. They are supposed to be available from Brembo and are not. After much research into the mystery of the missing two piece rotors (thank you Witt Buick Pedders and my secret sources) I can tell you they are not currently available, BUT will be down the road.

Cadillac recommends the rotors be changed with the pads (there is a surprise for performance brakes LOL) so my guess is that some time later this year or early next year we will all be updating pads and rotors based on wear and the availability of the two piece rotors.

As for slots and holes -- I am not a big fan. Modern pads do not gas like the older pads making the slots and holes of minimal value. Granted some high end designs like the carbon ceramic ZR1 have holes. I run no holes and no slots for maximum clamping heat tolerance. Crude brake ducts are critical on our cars as there is little air flow to cool the brakes. This is just my opinion and not absolute certain fact as would be my opinion on anything suspension related
AAAHHHHH!!! Thanks for the info'

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Old 03-17-2010, 11:29 AM   #23
76CamaroLT

Drives: 4wheels
Great post! Thanks for your efforts.
I have a feeling it would only make sense that these show up on the Z28.
And I love that they fit under 19" wheels!
76CamaroLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 11:41 AM   #24
camaro4mybday
"Camaro Joe"

Drives: 2010 SILVER ICE 2LT/RS CAMARO
Send a message via AIM to camaro4mybday
just throwing it out there but wouldnt the z06/zr1 brakes fit as well like gm did on the jay leno camaro
camaro4mybday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 11:47 AM   #25
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76CamaroLT View Post
Great post! Thanks for your efforts.
I have a feeling it would only make sense that these show up on the Z28.
And I love that they fit under 19" wheels!
Yes... They should fit under the ZR1 rims I'll have to stick on my SS/Z28 Having that shorter tire will shave some weight and loss too

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Old 03-17-2010, 11:50 AM   #26
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro4mybday View Post
just throwing it out there but wouldnt the z06/zr1 brakes fit as well like gm did on the jay leno camaro
There is a big difference between the Z06 and ZR1 brakes. Leno's camaro is on my coilovers, but I don't remember which brakes are on the car. Did it have ZR1?
Old 03-17-2010, 11:57 AM   #27
radz28
Petro-sexual

So, I remember the Z06 brakes, at least used to have seperate pads for each piston and I think the ZR1s went to single pads per side of the disk. These look kinda' like ZR1 calipers; is that right?

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Old 03-17-2010, 12:26 PM   #28
JusticePete

ZR1 Brakes are not what most would consider cost effective.

In what must be a very sweet moment for a longtime Corvette engineer, Juechter notes that the monster 15-inch Brembo carbon-ceramic rotors fitted as standard to the ZR1's rear wheels are the brakes originally designed for the front of Ferrari's 650-hp Enzo supercar. In the front of the ZR1, you'll find even larger 15.5-inch carbon-ceramic units.

Juechter says, "The only vehicle I know of that has these brakes as standard equipment is the 1,000-hp Bugatti Veyron." Then he adds with a grin, "Although I think you can get them as a $20,000 option on the Ferrari 599."