Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 11-30-2008, 01:36 PM   #1
MrGazinya

Drives: Aggressive
Billy Boat bullets vs Borla Stingers

I have been listening to youtube video's of both Catback exhaust systems on the C6 LS3 corvette. I am leaning toward the B&B Bullets because they just sound sick. The Borla stingers are incredible as well. I'm guessing that both companies will have systems for the SS Ls3. I know Borla is a great exhaust company, just not sure about B&B though. Anybody have experience with B&B Bullets, and how loud are they?
Black 2SS RS LS3 Inferno Int. '17 1LE replica 20's {MODS} KOOKS LT: Borla S-Type: Roto-Fab CAI: Hurst ST.: PFADT Stage 2, Trailing arms, Tie Rods: ECS BigBlower Cam: Fast 102mm intake: Brian Tooley racing dual spring kit: TFS pushrod set: Katech C5R timing chain: Mellings high volume oil pump: ATI Balancer: Ideal performance upgraded clutch master cylinder:Tick performance upgraded slave cylinder/throwout bearing: Mantic 9000 twin disk clutch & light weight flywheel: Tuned by Doug Ring at ECS. 475RWHP/445RWTQ.Dynapack Dyno.

MrGazinya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 03:28 PM   #2
LSxJunkie
Snark snark snark

Drives: RX350
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGazinya View Post
I have been listening to youtube video's of both Catback exhaust systems on the C6 LS3 corvette. I am leaning toward the B&B Bullets because they just sound sick. The Borla stingers are incredible as well. I'm guessing that both companies will have systems for the SS Ls3. I know Borla is a great exhaust company, just not sure about B&B though. Anybody have experience with B&B Bullets, and how loud are they?
How the hell are you going to judge Camaro exhausts through C6 videos?

The Camaro catback is going to be bent completely differently, going to be longer, probably using different mufflers, all of which changing the tone of the exhaust.
Old 12-01-2008, 02:05 AM   #3
frank99ta

Drives: Trans Am
I imagine they should sound similar. The Billy Boat on the vette is terrible. It sounds good but the drone will about kill you. I really didn't think they were that loud. On my c6 I just cut off the mufflers and ran straight pipe. Sounds mean as hell, and I saved 1000 bucks over a borla and about 800 over a B&B. What they charge for an exhaust on the corvette is ridiculous. Hopefully the exhaust systems for the camaro will be more affordable. Only time will tell.
frank99ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 07:50 AM   #4
TomServo

Drives: 2007 Z06
I had BOTH on my 06 vette, I could only live with the B&B Bullets a few days before I had to remove them. The interior resonances were so bad not only did interior pieces buzz, but after a 30 minute drive my ears were "ringing".

I then bought the Borla Sports aka Stingers and fell in love. Yes they have some resonances but no where near as intense as the Bullets.

I'd be careful buying ANY aftermarket cat-back system until enough are sold so folks can arrange some test drives.

I'll post a photo of both systems when I get home from work today.
TomServo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 09:33 AM   #5
LSxJunkie
Snark snark snark

Drives: RX350
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank99ta View Post
I imagine they should sound similar. The Billy Boat on the vette is terrible. It sounds good but the drone will about kill you. I really didn't think they were that loud. On my c6 I just cut off the mufflers and ran straight pipe. Sounds mean as hell, and I saved 1000 bucks over a borla and about 800 over a B&B. What they charge for an exhaust on the corvette is ridiculous. Hopefully the exhaust systems for the camaro will be more affordable. Only time will tell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomServo View Post
I had BOTH on my 06 vette, I could only live with the B&B Bullets a few days before I had to remove them. The interior resonances were so bad not only did interior pieces buzz, but after a 30 minute drive my ears were "ringing".

I then bought the Borla Sports aka Stingers and fell in love. Yes they have some resonances but no where near as intense as the Bullets.

I'd be careful buying ANY aftermarket cat-back system until enough are sold so folks can arrange some test drives.

Again, drone is a combination of interior acoustics and muffler location, both of which will be different on the Camaro....
Old 12-01-2008, 09:58 AM   #6
TomServo

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSxJunkie View Post
Again, drone is a combination of interior acoustics and muffler location, both of which will be different on the Camaro....
Agreed!!! Until we get some real world experience (cars and cat-back manufactured and in use) I'd be hesitant in buying or recommending any of them prior to a test drive.
Old 12-01-2008, 11:38 AM   #7
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank99ta View Post
Quote:
Agreed!!! Until we get some real world experience (cars and cat-back manufactured and in use) I'd be hesitant in buying or recommending any of them prior to a test drive.
Not hearing any system, I'd go with the street CB that GMPP will release if I were interested in noise. I'm sure it will easily pass any noise requirements that have to be met out there. I think I'd lean more toward bullet style mufflers though and will definately be checking out the off-road system GMPP says they're going to have too. With as much as catbacks are getting, it won't be cheap either way, I'm sure...

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 12:17 PM   #8
TomServo

Personally I wish they offer the Corvette RPO NPP exhaust option.
Old 12-03-2008, 12:52 PM   #9
MerlinZero
Big Orange

Drives: 2010 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:

Tom, I agree entirely. I removed the GMPP exhaust from my order for this reason.... I will get the car and see how it sounds before i do anything, also it will give the market time to catch up.
MerlinZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 01:15 PM   #10
TomServo

Take a peak at my B&B Bullets

Nasty resonances and lasted 2 days.

They were replaced by the Borla Sports

Some resonances but nothing like the B&B's. I really liked them. But than again I have a manual, the auto guys still have issues.