Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 08-30-2007, 03:09 AM   #1
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Chevy Lumina SS

http://www.cbn.co.za/motoring.php?motor_id=187

So I'm doing a little Google searching for this "Lumina SS" since we have been seeing some odd pictures lately. Well, I have to say this new V8 SS is one bad @ss car! Check out this article real quick and the shots of the SS. This is one great looking ride!!!

March 2007: Chev's mighty muscle car back to motoring articles
IT's never too late to have a happy childhood – not as long as there are cars such as the awesome new Chevrolet Lumina SS around.

Because this muscular brute of a motor car was created with one purpose in mind and that's to make boys of all ages very, very happy.

And jeez, does it do a good job of it!

Just the way it poses at the pavement is enough to put a smile on any boy racer's dial and you don't even have to have been tested positive for performance car addiction to appreciate the Chev's huge flared mudguards, gaping air scoops, ginormous 18-inch alloys on broad, low-profile rubber, dual exhaust outlets and the jet fighter rear spoiler.

And if that's not enough to get the old ticker thumping, wait until you ignite the huge 6.0-litre V8 that lurks under its long, sloping bonnet and hear it howling and growling as only a fine-tuned V8 can do when it's being whipped…

That's when all sanity goes out the window. When you forget about all the common sense reasons for owning a car. Suddenly safety, space, value for money, fuel consumption, economy and practicality count for zero.

Because it all fades away when you stomp down on the pleasure pedal and feel 270 kW and 530 Nm thundering from the engine, through your spine, through the slick six-speed shift to the screaming, smoking rear wheels as they bite into the tar and catapult you on your way down Big Smile Drive.

This new Chev is such an exciting car and so much fun to drive that most South Africans might even be prepared to overlook the fact that it's made in sheep-friendly Australia where they also tend to produce better rugby players, better cricketers, better chefs and even better wine-makers than we do locally.

(OK, I'm ready for the outcry and we can discuss this further over a couple of beers, but let's get back to the Lumina…).

Branded as Holden in Australia it is imported by General Motors South Africa and offered in four Chevrolet model choices, The Lumina SS sedan at R349 000 (the automatic and manual options retail at the same price) and the UTE (which is an ultra sporty bakkie) which costs R329 000 for manual or automatic.

I only spent a couple of hours at the wheel of a Lumina automatic when it was launched here in February, but it was enough to come away impressed by its performance, roadholding, long list of safety and luxury specifications and overall build quality.

The nice thing about the new Lumina is even though it looks big and accommodates five adults with ease, it doesn't feel at all cumbersome or heavy on the road. It's an easy car to park and drive in Aunt Maude mode with none of the skittishness some performance cars have in commuter traffic.

And out there on a long, winding road it is a smart, sophisticated cruiser, so quiet at legal speed limits that you don't even have to turn up the sound. But if you are in the mood for a bit of fun, turn the sound off completely because not even the finest orchestra or most outrageous rock band can make better music than the Chevy's V8 when the rev counter is in the red.

The Lumina SS is an outrageous street hot rod, a Nascar racer sound-alike and a comfortable, sophisticated family car, boat-tower and caravan-hauler all in one.

And if Her Majesty's lip starts pouting amidst mutterings of 'boys and their toys' you can pacify her by pointing out some of the Lumina's fancies such as sports gauges, multi-function leather steering wheel, alloy pedals, leather-trimmed seats, power steering, cruise control, adjustable steering wheel, electric windows and mirrors, trip computer, climate control, a sexy in-dash 6-CD changer and radio and its Blue Tooth compatibility.

Make the point that the car also has a full-house of safety features including ABS brakes with electronic brake distribution, electronic stability control, traction control and almost as many airbags as you will find at an ANC lekgotla.

And, what's more, you can tell her that over and above the Chev's serious good looks WE get a three-year/100 000km warranty and roadside assistance, a three-year/60 00km motorplan, a three-year corrosion warranty and 10 000km/1 year service intervals which add up to a luxurious high performance package that is extremely difficult to beat at the price.

Even She Who Has To Be Obeyed will have to agree with that.
Attached Images

TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 03:11 AM   #2
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Attached Images

Old 08-30-2007, 03:16 AM   #3
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

Drives: you wild...
Location: In the happy padded room wearing a jacket that makes me hug myself...
Lumina > Impala so far. We'll have to wait and see. Nice looking car though. Looks like a beefed up cobalt (or the one that was tricked/riced out at the Rev It Up.
Old 08-30-2007, 03:19 AM   #4
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

I'm curious to see the final results of both the Lumina and the Impala. These from above were taken off google image for the Chevy Lumina SS. I'm going to go back and see what I can find on the Impala now...
Old 08-30-2007, 10:13 AM   #5
marczsport
GM Forever!

Drives: 06' Envoy ; 05' Impala
Send a message via AIM to marczsport
That black pic is pretty badass. I'd certainly check those out if my next car were'nt going to be a sport coupe!
marczsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 10:22 AM   #6
Dark Knight
Does it come in BLACK?

Drives: 2001 FIREBIRD (for now!!)
Send a message via Yahoo to Dark Knight
That is one bad ass looking car! Most cars coming out these days are looking pretty sweet....kinda makes it hard to make up your mind if your a car buyer. It's easy for me though.....one word....CAMARO!

Good things come to those who wait
Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 11:48 AM   #7
LSxcellent

Drives: MINI Cooper S
Really big picture of Lumina SS

http://stadium.weblogsinc.com/autobl...lden_exp03.jpg

Another good photo of this car in a pretty large format...

~LSx
Attached Images

LSxcellent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 12:05 PM   #8
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Uploading that one last night was a pain in the @ss, so I left it alone. Thanks for posting that one up!
Old 08-30-2007, 01:18 PM   #9
z28camaro2471
C5 Member #227

Drives: Camaros
That's just the G8/Holden whatever, with a different nose and tail that I think is being sold in the Middle East. I sure hope the new Impala is designed entirely different with at least some retro clues, and of course at least 400 hp with a 6 speed.

Don't get me wrong, it looks good in black, but we don't need another G8 over here.
z28camaro2471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 01:53 PM   #10
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
isn't that the car that I thought was the Impala?

Either way - AWESOME!!! I love Sport sedans almost as much as Sport Coupes, cause they give you passenger (i.e. Family) space, and plenty of bang under the hood. You don't see many of those.
Old 08-30-2007, 04:31 PM   #11
LSxcellent

Drives: MINI Cooper S
Quote:
Originally Posted by z28camaro2471 View Post
That's just the G8/Holden whatever, with a different nose and tail that I think is being sold in the Middle East. I sure hope the new Impala is designed entirely different with at least some retro clues, and of course at least 400 hp with a 6 speed.

Don't get me wrong, it looks good in black, but we don't need another G8 over here.
Nope... I'd lay dollars-to-donuts that is is EXACTLY what we'll get over hear. We ARE going to see MANY variants of the G8... its too nice a platform for GM to just do one car off of it. Think about it! 4 Door Rear Wheel Drive V8?

The public is going to go nuts. They will sell this in as many flavors as they can manage (Remember the Chrysler 300C/Dodge Magnum/Dodge Charger/Dodge Challenger???) That's EXACTLY what GM wants to do with this car... and I think its great.

Personally, I'd totally buy one for hauling the family around. Have this for the wife (she digs it too!) and the Camaro for me!

~LSx
LSxcellent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 04:32 PM   #12
The_Stache
SoCal Race Team #13

Drives: 2010 1SS:RS:LS3:SW
Personally I'd pass.. just like the G8, I am not really impressed...

Guess I'm not that kinda person.. Which is funny cause I was shopping the Chrysler 300 for my next car before I found the camaro and most people think they are a bland looking car..
Old 08-30-2007, 06:23 PM   #13
EllwynX

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
That is a really nice looking car. Personally I like it better than the G8.
EllwynX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 06:31 PM   #14
z28camaro2471
C5 Member #227

Drives: Camaros
I do agree that it looks cool. And I definitely like the platform..RWD, V8 and 6speed. It's just that I'm hoping they make the exterior design more unique, that's all I was trying to say. They can leave the interior, chassis and general exterior dimensions all the same.

I do like the G8, I just don't think they need two cars that are identical, excluding the front and rear ends. Although we all know that is GM's MO.
z28camaro2471 is offline   Reply With Quote