Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 08-23-2011, 07:06 PM   #15
BSR-1

Drives: 17 ZL1 M6 Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrming View Post
No warning signs, just check engine light.
You mean it doesn't cause a catastrophic failure?
It just get's a little loose and the ECU shuts the party down?
Old 08-23-2011, 07:14 PM   #16
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Drives: 12 Second Brick
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSR-1 View Post
You mean it doesn't cause a catastrophic failure?
It just get's a little loose and the ECU shuts the party down?
No failure. The ecu detects the cams aren't in the right position and throws a code... More info here:

http://engine-codes.com/p0008_chevrolet.html
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 07:18 PM   #17
BSR-1

Drives: 17 ZL1 M6 Black
Quote:
No failure. The ecu detects the cams aren't in the right position and throws a code... More info here:

http://engine-codes.com/p0008_chevrolet.html
Good to know, thanks!
Old 08-24-2011, 02:50 PM   #18
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
I just looked through my resources and did not see any documentation for the Camaro for this issue. If you are concerned about this issue on your vehicle I would suggest speaking with your dealership service personnel to see if they have ever seen anything in regards to this problem. Hopefully that will get you the answers that you're looking for but if not message me and I'll do some more research to see if I can find anything more on this. I hope this helps.

Jeff Morris, Chevrolet Customer Service
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 03:07 PM   #19
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Got the call from the dealership... They are replacing the timing chains again in the wife's Acadia... this time with the "updated" chains... (I thought they did this last time... ) Should be ready tomorrow...
Old 08-24-2011, 03:15 PM   #20
Beauwulf

Drives: '10 LT RS A6 & '04 Acura RSX Type S
Quote:
Got the call from the dealership... They are replacing the timing chains again in the wife's Acadia... this time with the "updated" chains... (I thought they did this last time... ) Should be ready tomorrow...
I would assume they are replacing the sprockets (this time) as well since worn sprockets will kill a new chain in about.... 50K miles!
Old 08-24-2011, 03:59 PM   #21
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauwulf View Post
I would assume they are replacing the sprockets (this time) as well since worn sprockets will kill a new chain in about.... 50K miles!
you would think... but i doubt it... i'm guessing they are just throwing new chains on... I'll look at the service order when the wife comes home tomorrow..
Old 08-25-2011, 12:37 AM   #22
PieNsky

Drives: Victory Red 1LS
I've got less than 20K left on my warranty. How much does this run?
PieNsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 05:11 AM   #23
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PieNsky View Post
I've got less than 20K left on my warranty. How much does this run?
Ok... spent some time googling this morning... I really couldn't find any solid cases of stretched timing chains happening in the Camaro. I found the issue in just about every other vehicle that uses the 3.6. Even found some in newer vehicles, like 2011 Acadias... Only found one reference to a mechanic who said they've seen it in the Camaro but I couldn't find an actual Camaro owner talking about the issue...

Seems odd that that the Camaro would seem be "immune" to the issue. I wonder if perhaps the chains are stretching but specs aren't as tight on the Camaro. Perhaps the calibration is a bit more tolerant...

As for cost... really didn't see anyone posting cost, since all of the repairs seem to be under warranty... Did find one 2005 Cadillac owner saying he had a $2900 bill...

Think it will be time to trade our Acadia in... and after seeing a few reports of 2011 Acadia having the same issue, i doubt we'll be sticking with GM... :(
Old 08-25-2011, 08:53 AM   #24
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Drives: 2016 C7 Z51
Quote:

As for cost... really didn't see anyone posting cost, since all of the repairs seem to be under warranty... Did find one 2005 Cadillac owner saying he had a $2900 bill...
Good Lord.
BaylorCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 02:25 PM   #25
BLACK SUNSHINE

Drives: 68 Firebird
I know this is an older thread but figured I would post for prosperity's sake: Just had my car into the dealer for loss of power and an engine light. Guess what? Streched timing chain and I have 42K miles on it. Talked to the guy at Chevy and he said they have been seeing this in a lot of other models but not the Camaro. This is the first one they saw it in. He said there is a stronger timing chain that they are going to put in. All covered under the powertrain warranty.... THANK GOD!!!!
1100 = Preliminary Order: 2/26/09 ..............................3800 = Produced: 6/29 VIN: 2G1FC1EV9A9122433
2000 = Accepted By GM: 5/19/09 ...............................4000 = Available to Ship: 7/1/09
3000 = Accepted By Production Control: ? ..........4200 = Shipped: 7/03/09
3300 = Scheduled For Production:6/6/09.......................5000 = Delivered To Dealer: 7/14/09
3400 = Broadcast:6/16/09............................... 6000 = Delivered To Customer: 7/15/09
BLACK SUNSHINE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 02:34 PM   #26
bossbunny
Mrs. Bunny to you

Drives: Not a Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK SUNSHINE View Post
I know this is an older thread but figured I would post for prosperity's sake: Just had my car into the dealer for loss of power and an engine light. Guess what? Streched timing chain and I have 42K miles on it. Talked to the guy at Chevy and he said they have been seeing this in a lot of other models but not the Camaro. This is the first one they saw it in. He said there is a stronger timing chain that they are going to put in. All covered under the powertrain warranty.... THANK GOD!!!!
I'm so glad to see this is covered by warrenty for you, but not excited to see this confirmed in a Camaro.
bossbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 05:34 AM   #27
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK SUNSHINE View Post
This is the first one we've seen here...

Well... supposedly they put the "new and improved" timing chains in the wife's Acadia... Original set went out at like 32,000 miles... the "new and improved" chains lasted 50,000 miles (replaced at 82,000).

Was at the track on Saturday and guy came over and asked me how I like my Flex... Seems his wife's Acadia had just lost it's second set of timing chains! Explained about our Acadia and that we decided to dump it the day after it was fixed! From what I've read it's like a $2,900 repair!

Here's something I've been wondering... in my old motorcycle days a stretched chain would cause the sprockets to wear... so you usually had to replace the sprockets also... I think GM is just replacing the chains... so even if they put "new and improved" chains in, are the sprockets going to still cause them to wear prematurely?
Old 11-11-2011, 08:13 AM   #28
ChadG

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro LS
How does one check their build date?
ChadG is offline   Reply With Quote