Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 04-11-2013, 12:53 PM   #561
AlohaBR

Drives: Camaros...is there anything else?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jekyll-N-Hyde View Post
Wow im shocked that I actually made it through ever single post in this thread lol A lot of folks keep saying the same thing even after it was stated by Fbodfather what a Z/28 is.

There never was a Z/28 in a 4thgen. There was a Z28

I hope you're right

Folks the Z/28 was a Track car!!!! Yall are used to going to car shows and seeing a garage built show queen with Z/28 emblems on it.

I think the Camaro team needed to do this. So many folks call themselves Camaro Enthusiast and they dont even know the history of this car.

I hope GM doesnt even sell the emblems aftermarket. Only a Real car deserves to wear the Z/28 badge.
Thank You, thank you, thank you!
Yes, the ORIGINAL Z/28 was made to qualify for the Trans-Am racing series and that is what THIS Camaro is about! Drive it on the street but drive it on the track also.

Thank You Team Camaro, GM, and all involved in putting this Camaro out!
AlohaBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 01:36 PM   #562
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Drives: Daily
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldScoolCamaro View Post
Well, it's all good as they say! We need to pass the time until the final specs and figures come out on the Z/28! OK, you have generalized a bit too much by saying the Z/28 uses nothing over...IMHO the Z/28 will use a good amount of what the '13 and the refresh Camaro will use. Major revisions will be the nose/fascia/hood, tail/fascia,decklid (and lighting). The LS7 has been around since '06 MY I believe, and I betcha from the bellhousing backward it will be the same as the 1LE, (TR6060, driveshaft, rear axle housing/ratio/half shafts). Weight reduction saves money actually on the build. Recaro's are probably same in some way as used in other models, except stripped down with no power. That's all cost saving. The carbon ceramic brakes, DSSV dampers and springs/stab bars will be new. It should not have to be anything more than 64,995 MSRP to make a handsome profit.
...and don't forget the unique-to-Z/28 forged 19s and corresponding R-like rubber...
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 01:44 PM   #563

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldScoolCamaro View Post
Well, it's all good as they say! We need to pass the time until the final specs and figures come out on the Z/28!

Weight reduction saves money actually on the build.
I gotta respectfully disagree with this one...I think the engineering, etc.,to reduce the weight in the Z/28 is one of the many things unique to this vehicle that will make it more expensive...Sounds bass-ackwards, but I think it's true...
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 03:13 PM   #564
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
I gotta respectfully disagree with this one...I think the engineering, etc.,to reduce the weight in the Z/28 is one of the many things unique to this vehicle that will make it more expensive...Sounds bass-ackwards, but I think it's true...
....I believe the only weight saving new engineering you refer to that would cost money in real terms would be the thinner rear window glass, no? The rest is stuff physically not placed in the car, the rear seat material and divider, speakers, sound deadening material, wiring from harneses, radio, A/C unit, not like they structured a new frame and chasis from space age materials, or brought forth new manufacturing proceses. The money will be in the addition, rather than the subtraction......it's going to be a far less bitter pill to swallow monetarily I feel than most suspect!
Old 04-11-2013, 05:23 PM   #565
Wizard1183

Drives: ABM SS2/RS M6
Send a message via Yahoo to Wizard1183
Quote:
I would just keep in mind that this Z/28 isn't going to be another high volume option/model like when the ZL-1 and the 1LE were added to the line-up for a customer's choice at the lot...

They're not gonna price this car so that it takes away sales from their own line up that is now offered...

The sales numbers for the Z/28 won't be large enough to make it "affordable" like the others and have it's costs spread out with higher volume sales...

IMO, it's part of the "Z/28" thing, instead of the "Z28"....Just my take on it...
I agree, but the parts added and what the car will be doesnt compensate for more than $70k out the door. Sure it's a race car, but those deleted items to make it lighter would subtract from original price of a car then added parts in. If its more than $70k, you're simply paying for a name. I mentioned why I believe it'd be $70k out the door. A ZL-1 is not considered in the fleet. It's a specialized camaro as well. A 1LE is considered in the fleet because its a hair over an SS. What they sell production wise on ZL-1s in 2012? 2000?def not what they sold your avg camaro for. It'll be more than a ZL-1, but maybe $10k over. Otherwise you'd just get a Vette IMO.

Life is short, drive it like you stole it!
Wizard1183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 06:15 PM   #566

Well, I hope for everybody's sake it's at least priced "reasonably"...When the heck is the price supposed to come out, anyway?
Old 04-11-2013, 06:40 PM   #567
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Drives: Daily
Figure in about 6 months, when sourcing is complete...
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 07:32 PM   #568

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWDOWN View Post
Figure in about 6 months, when sourcing is complete...
Thanks...Just wondering if there's any chance GM could put a stop to this "dealer mark-up" bs over MSRP on this one...I don't get how that they can let that fly...Sure seems like a rip-off and terrible P.R......

(They didn't have that with the '67 Z/28's did they?....lol)
Old 04-11-2013, 07:52 PM   #569
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:
Thanks...Just wondering if there's any chance GM could put a stop to this "dealer mark-up" bs over MSRP on this one...I don't get how that they can let that fly...Sure seems like a rip-off and terrible P.R......

(They didn't have that with the '67 Z/28's did they?....lol)
You do know GM has ZERO to do with the price a dealer sets for a car right?

If you want to buy a Zed at MSRP just contact Becky. I know for a fact she won't charge you a dime over MSRP.
Old 04-11-2013, 07:59 PM   #570

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stig View Post

You do know GM has ZERO to do with the price a dealer sets for a car right?
Perhaps you are right, but I would think GM sure could determine who they send them to, or allocate them to...and if it's a dealer that plans on jacking it up over MSRP......., then..........well, they don't get one to sell at all.....
Old 04-11-2013, 08:06 PM   #571
i2disturbedSS

Drives: 2010 SS L99 IOM
Just read this whole thread...
Awsome car -- chevy knows what they are doing a camaro for everybody
Old 04-11-2013, 08:14 PM   #572
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:
Perhaps you are right, but I would think GM sure could determine who they send them to, or allocate them to...and if it's a dealer that plans on jacking it up over MSRP......., then..........well, they don't get one to sell at all.....
GM gives allocations based on sales. Why should GM care if a certain dealership's customers are dumb enough to pay over MSRP? GM's goal is to sell cars, as is the dealership's, if people simply refused to pay over MSRP then dealerships would stop doing it.

Simple economics.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:19 PM   #573

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
GM gives allocations based on sales. Why should GM care if a certain dealership's customers are dumb enough to pay over MSRP? GM's goal is to sell cars, as is the dealership's, if people simply refused to pay over MSRP then dealerships would stop doing it.

Simple economics.
Well, alrighty then!!...lol....I think Becky is gonna be busy with this one...lol
Old 04-11-2013, 11:05 PM   #574
Fenderaddict2
Opinionated bugger!

Drives: Boss 302, Mazda 2, Praga & Intrepid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVmyZL1 View Post
I don't see Ford doing anything to try and "respond" to GM's z/28. Frankly, there just isn't a market for it. If someone wants to road race a Ford, there are already options available to them via Ford Racing. Granted, they are not street-legal, whereas the z/28 is, but if your real intent is to compete in a sanctioned road racing series, why would you need it to be street legal?

IMO, this car was built to appease a vocal segment within the Camaro community and they will likely sell every one they make but it will still be a street car pretending to be a track-specfic race car. That being the case, why in the world would Ford waste time and money trying to develop a direct competitor for it? If memory serves, GM never "responded" back in the day to Ford's 2000 Cobra R.
Simply sorting out the IRS in the new lighter body and taking off where the Boss left off will do it until GM has time to respond with the lighter car. Bet on it, Ford (and ADM happy dealers) love the speciality Mustangs. Without a Corvette, there's lots of room to play.

Follow me on forums everywhere as Fenderaddict2 or my kid on the track and Twitter @fastmyles
Fenderaddict2 is offline   Reply With Quote