Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 09-02-2010, 09:16 AM   #155
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
FYI -- When you run the CTS-V brakes really hard they do change color. So far it is just the front calipers. We'll try harder the next time out.

Maybe we should call this the 5th Gen Gold Package?
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 09:37 AM   #156
Sack Rat 2SS

Drives: Silver SS/RS, Man 6
Interesting bout color change. Like going from silver to gold medal, right? They still look awesome. I do not track my car so calipers are still silver. I have only done several progressive max effort stops to bed in the pads and do some heat seasoning of the rotors. I drove normal for about 100 miles before the max effort stops. The Z-28 is going to be some animal when it gets here.
Sack Rat 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 04:28 PM   #157
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sack Rat 2SS View Post
Interesting bout color change. Like going from silver to gold medal, right? They still look awesome. I do not track my car so calipers are still silver. I have only done several progressive max effort stops to bed in the pads and do some heat seasoning of the rotors. I drove normal for about 100 miles before the max effort stops. The Z-28 is going to be some animal when it gets here.
Do you notice any differences in low speed pad noise between the CTS-V and the SS stock setup
Old 09-08-2010, 04:52 PM   #158
Sack Rat 2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
Do you notice any differences in low speed pad noise between the CTS-V and the SS stock setup
None at all. Still very quiet. Even with my stockers I never had brake squeek even when I removed the stick on weights from the calipers. 'So far so good with my CTS -V package. Any changes on your vehicle?
Old 09-08-2010, 05:01 PM   #159
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sack Rat 2SS View Post
None at all. Still very quiet. Even with my stockers I never had brake squeek even when I removed the stick on weights from the calipers. 'So far so good with my CTS -V package. Any changes on your vehicle?
My experience was similar to yours. When I ran the OE CTS-V pads they may have been quieter than my SS pads. With the Cobalt Friction racing pads I occasionally shatter store front windows.
Old 09-08-2010, 05:05 PM   #160
Sack Rat 2SS

Quote:
My experience was similar to yours. When I ran the OE CTS-V pads they may have been quieter than my SS pads. With the Cobalt Friction racing pads I occasionally shatter store front windows.
That is good to know. I do not plan on tracking or autocrossing. Maybe a trip to drag strip at some point, not the same as roundy racing. I will replace with factory CTS pads as the price is right and generally only light to moderate dusting on the front wheels. Dusting about same as or better than the factory SS pads.
Old 09-09-2010, 08:06 PM   #161
OldJedi
Use the Force

Drives: 2015 Corvette Z51, 2018 Porsche GTS
Send a message via AIM to OldJedi
Pete,
Thanks for being so patient and answering all of our questions. Can you tell me why on the six piston Brembos used on the CTS-V and Z-28 why two of the brake caliper pistons are much larger than the third smaller piston? Will this make for uneven brake pad wear because of a smaller piston/bearing surface and possibly a different amount of force being placed on to the pad from the smaller piston? Thanks for the help.
Old 09-10-2010, 10:21 AM   #162
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldJedi View Post
Pete,
Thanks for being so patient and answering all of our questions. Can you tell me why on the six piston Brembos used on the CTS-V and Z-28 why two of the brake caliper pistons are much larger than the third smaller piston? Will this make for uneven brake pad wear because of a smaller piston/bearing surface and possibly a different amount of force being placed on to the pad from the smaller piston? Thanks for the help.
Now worries mate.

When the brake caliper 'clamps' there is more force required on the leading edge and progressively less. On very high quality calipers it is not unusual to see three or four different piston sizes. The net effect is improved braking and more even pad wear.
Old 09-11-2010, 07:16 PM   #163
OldJedi
Use the Force

Drives: 2015 Corvette Z51, 2018 Porsche GTS
Send a message via AIM to OldJedi
Quote:
Now worries mate.

When the brake caliper 'clamps' there is more force required on the leading edge and progressively less. On very high quality calipers it is not unusual to see three or four different piston sizes. The net effect is improved braking and more even pad wear.
OK thanks Pete, I appreciate the information.
Old 09-12-2010, 05:38 PM   #164
Victoryred69

Drives: RS Victory Red/BS V6
i have a question... do you think it would be pretty much the same for the v6 camaro brake upgrade???
Victoryred69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 10:37 AM   #165
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victoryred69 View Post
i have a question... do you think it would be pretty much the same for the v6 camaro brake upgrade???
I will have to check on that.
Old 09-14-2010, 03:10 PM   #166
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victoryred69 View Post
The answer is yes.

Last edited by JusticePete; 09-14-2010 at 03:21 PM.
Old 11-14-2010, 07:53 PM   #167
LT1Jeep
Ecstatic Camaro SS Owner

Drives: Jeep(s) [1in pieces] and 2010 SS/RS
after reading about this swap and looking at parts lists on here and other sites, i wanted to check something. i saw somewhere say you needed to order the pins separately but then on gmpd i see the pin as listed included with the pad. so im guessing that if you order gm ctsv pads your ok, but if you wanna run aftermarket pads you need to order the pin kit too.
and second, can you run the stock ss brake hose or are you required to upgrade due to the swap?

thanks
Old 11-14-2010, 08:28 PM   #168
Sack Rat 2SS

Do not know bout the pins, however, the brake hose into the caliper is located in the middle of the caliper on CTS, not top as on SS, and will require a longer line. Not for sure but you might use the longer ones from the rear. But, check it out first. I used four braided lines that were made for the rear. Good Luck