Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Emblempros
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 01-06-2009, 12:46 AM   #29
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Drives: Team 1LE
After you do that xanthos, you keep in contact with me because I am probably gonna do the same thing.
Old 01-06-2009, 12:48 AM   #30
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

Drives: you wild...
Location: In the happy padded room wearing a jacket that makes me hug myself...
Xanthos, if I could pass up the v8 being my first car with real power I'd be in the same boat. I've set my goals and as tempting as the v6 is, I feel that I need the v8. The v6 would be much easier on my pocketbook though. =P
Old 01-06-2009, 12:55 AM   #31
Xanthos
PWA Relapse

Drives: Formerly-Stick
I had a V8 - not a crazy fast one, but a decent one.

There are a number of reasons why I don't want a V8 in my new camaro. Insurance costs is one. Price is another.

The biggest one? If I bought the LS3, I would do this to it and probably hurt myself, or worse, wreck my baby (the camaro).

I know it seems weird, but I want about 400 HP, and not much more. I don't trust myself with more. 400 will make the car fast enough to really enjoy driving, even when I take it to the track, but not fast enough to where I'll be tempted to do something really stupid on public roads.

With the V6, I'll be able to do all the mods I want to do, and have the kind of power I want, and I think it'll sound good enough to where more people than I can count will say "thats a V6?"

And to scare the crap out of more than a few mustangs.
- Xanthos

2017 1LT/RS A8 Hyper Blue Metallic

Xanthos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 01:05 AM   #32
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

400 hp in a v6 is more than respectable. I might end up with a 6 cylinder later on in life, but I'm going to enjoy what I feel might be the last of the big displacement years while I can. You've had that experience so you're fine with a v6 and I probably would feel the same way had I experienced it too.
Old 01-06-2009, 01:11 AM   #33
Xanthos
PWA Relapse

True. I never would have sold my 86 had I not blown the tranny. Just couldn't afford to replace it on top of everything else.

I guess I'm sitting in the same croud with the people who want the V8 but are going to keep it stock, except that I wouldn't keep it stock.

This way I can mod to my hearts content and still be about the same level as a stock V8.
- Xanthos

P.S. - And I have a feeling it will sound just as good (as stock) too.

Old 01-06-2009, 02:14 AM   #34
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
I'm leaning towards the V6 now. The majority of fun I'll be having with this car is the abundance of mountain roads in my backyard, including the infamous GMR. The lighter weight and better balance of the V6 favors that, and being young insurance costs are on my mind too (better gas mileage helps too). A few mods for a bit more power (like the 340 already mentioned) plus a few suspension mods should make the V6 model a fine canyon carver. I only wish we could get the brembos on the V6 models.

There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
shining at the end of every day
There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
Just a dream away
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 02:19 AM   #35
Xanthos
PWA Relapse

I'm sure a brembo kit will come out for it.
- Xanthos

P.S. - I may get bigger brakes for mine some day, but I'll probably just settle with braided steel brake lines.

Old 01-06-2009, 02:19 AM   #36
Never2LowChevy
Banned

Drives: bagged 4 door dually on 22s
Sorry, No disrespect, but a V6 will NEVER sound as good as a V8. Ive had a V6 that wasnt a slouch by any means but never did it measure up to a V8 sound or fun factor wise. Saying that you want people to say "thats a V6?" is the same as people seeing and hearing a STOCK V8 and saying "wow, thats stock?". Its kinda like a Harley Davidson, if somthing sounds "mean" it should BE mean. If your V6 SOUNDS mean but cant beat a V8 with an exhaust, your still gonna get laughed at and asked "that thing is modified?" Now if your runnin against other V6s then yeah, go for it. If your REALLY worried about insurance and gas milage, buy an aveo... you could always put an exhaust on it and have people ask "thats a 4 cylinder?"
Never2LowChevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 02:24 AM   #37
Xanthos
PWA Relapse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Never2LowChevy View Post
Sorry, No disrespect, but a V6 will NEVER sound as good as a V8. Ive had a V6 that wasnt a slouch by any means but never did it measure up to a V8 sound or fun factor wise. Saying that you want people to say "thats a V6?" is the same as people seeing and hearing a STOCK V8 and saying "wow, thats stock?". Its kinda like a Harley Davidson, if somthing sounds "mean" it should BE mean. If your V6 SOUNDS mean but cant beat a V8 with an exhaust, your still gonna get laughed at and asked "that thing is modified?" Now if your runnin against other V6s then yeah, go for it. If your REALLY worried about insurance and gas milage, buy an aveo... you could always put an exhaust on it and have people ask "thats a 4 cylinder?"
For saying you meant no disrespect, you certainly sounded like you were trying to be disrespectful.

Since you only joined a month ago, let me fill you in. A little while back a video came out of a prototype, and it included exhaust sound. There was a LOT of debate about which engine it was. It was the V6. That people can even debate that the stock V6 exhaust is really the V8 speaks wonders. With the aftermarket it'll sound that much better.

So how about you hold off on your "no disrespect" until after the car is out, and you can hear for yourself how it sounds with some nice, mean flowmasters on it.
- Xanthos

Old 01-06-2009, 02:32 AM   #38
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

Sounds is the same as looks, each is different to everyone. I love the sound of a high revving Ferrari v8 (F355), and some people could argue that they love the sound of a 2JZ-GTE from the Supra. You might like the sound of the big displacement mucle car engine. Xanthos may like the sound of the v8 but can't afford/doesn't want to spend the money for the car/insurance/gas bundle.

The post about people guessing if that red v6 was really a v8 or not is a GREAT POINT. 95% of the people posting in that thread were on the fence because hardly anyone could tell...
Old 01-06-2009, 02:35 AM   #39
headpunter
Not That sad..considering

Drives: Man
Send a message via AIM to headpunter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindz View Post
Sounds is the same as looks, each is different to everyone. I love the sound of a high revving Ferrari v8 (F355), and some people could argue that they love the sound of a 2JZ-GTE from the Supra. You might like the sound of the big displacement mucle car engine. Xanthos may like the sound of the v8 but can't afford/doesn't want to spend the money for the car/insurance/gas bundle.

The post about people guessing if that red v6 was really a v8 or not is a GREAT POINT. 95% of the people posting in that thread were on the fence because hardly anyone could tell...
it was a v8, it started as a v8 and was visually converted to look like a v6 since they are wanting to push the v6. there were pictures of it from the anniversary show at the Buffalo plant, were some one opened the hood. Fbodfather confirmed it aswell.
Old 01-06-2009, 02:38 AM   #40
Xanthos
PWA Relapse

Quote:
Originally Posted by headpunter View Post
it was a v8, it started as a v8 and was visually converted to look like a v6 since they are wanting to push the v6. there were pictures of it from the anniversary show at the Buffalo plant, were some one opened the hood. Fbodfather confirmed it aswell.
Are we thinking of the same one?

I'll be the first to concede if I'm wrong, but I seem to remember it was confirmed by the higher ups as being a V6, not a V8 - because it was Jalopnik claiming it was a V8.

Of course, if anybody would know how the story really ended up, it would be headpunter.
- Xanthos

Old 01-06-2009, 02:46 AM   #41
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

I should have added quotes around the "little red v6". I forgot, sarcasm doesn't travel well over the net.
Old 01-06-2009, 03:00 AM   #42
Xanthos
PWA Relapse

Looked up the thread in question - it was confirmed to be a V8, though not a production V8.

Still, I stand by my opinion that the V6 sounds really good in stock form, and with some flowmasters to deepen the tone will sound close enough to a V8 to make people wonder.
- Xanthos

P.S. - Heres a vid. The audio from "behind the tailpipe" does not adequately reflect the car's sound. His camera mic gets over driven, causing the popping sound. Beside the rear wheel and as number 3 is leaving are the good audio samples. Sounds very close to what my 305 camaro sounded like.