Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 01-05-2012, 04:32 PM   #1
Blue Streak
Blue Streak

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS / RS, SuperCharged
Super Charger Lubricant/Oil Change

Has anyone with a Magnacharger changed the Supercharger lubricant/oil in the little reservoir attached to it (not the regular engine oil)? I have had mine for about 6 months 5000 miles and I haven’t changed the supercharger reservoir yet. I am wondering what kind of oil it takes and also how does that get changed?

I was at the local oil change getting my winter car oil changed and I asked him. He said to take a siphon and drain the existing oil and wasn’t sure about what kind of lubricant/oil to replace it with.
Blue Streak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 05:01 PM   #2
blufin

Drives: Fire Engine
Sold
blufin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 05:27 PM   #3
Andy@AMSOIL
Account Suspended

Drives: 4 wheels
I am curiouser to know myself
Andy@AMSOIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 05:55 PM   #4
monstertodd

Drives: 2010 Cyber Grey Metallic 2SS/RS M6
monstertodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 06:29 PM   #5
hypurone
I'm not totally useless..

Drives: ...
I asked Magnuson about this directly on the phone BEFORE I purchased.

Their reply: "Our unit is designed to be self lubricating for 100k miles and does not need the lubricant changed within that period".

I then come to find out this on their own site:

"Is there any maintenance required with my kit? Do I need to change the oil in it? A big advantage of our kits is the lack of any scheduled maintenance. The only item to keep an eye on is the drive belt. Just as any drive belt, if it shows any signs of wear, immediately replace it. The nose oil, however, has a service life of 80,000 miles."

Still pretty damn good!
Old 01-05-2012, 07:00 PM   #6
Jon@MagnaCharger

Drives: Anything Supercharged
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypurone View Post
I asked Magnuson about this directly on the phone BEFORE I purchased.

Their reply: "Our unit is designed to be self lubricating for 100k miles and does not need the lubricant changed within that period".

I then come to find out this on their own site:

"Is there any maintenance required with my kit? Do I need to change the oil in it? A big advantage of our kits is the lack of any scheduled maintenance. The only item to keep an eye on is the drive belt. Just as any drive belt, if it shows any signs of wear, immediately replace it. The nose oil, however, has a service life of 80,000 miles."

Still pretty damn good!
Correct. Typically our superchargers do not need their oil changed until somewhere around 80-120k miles. If you drive your car on the heavier side I would change it around 80k but if you baby it and aren't making weekly trips to the drag strip or road course then somewhere around 100-120k miles will be sufficient. The oil used in the supercharger is called "Supercharger Oil" and is available at the Parts Counter of any GM dealership.

There are 2 ways to go about changing the oil:

1) With the blower still installed on the motor, remove the allen-headed plug in the rear nose cover. Then use an oil extraction syringe to remove as much oil as possible. Measure how much oil has been removed then add that much plus just a tiny bit more. Finally replace the drain/fill plug.

2) Remove supercharger from the heads. Remove the rear drain/fill plug and turn supercharger up on end to let the oil drain. After you have ensured all of the oil has been drained from the nose, refill with exactly 205 mL of oil and replace drain/fill plug. Finally reinstall supercharger.

Note: The drain/fill plug is not a level indicator. Do not fill with oil until it dribbles out of the hole. Overfilling the nose cover will eventually cause the nose cover seal to leak.
Jon@MagnaCharger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 11:13 AM   #7
Blue Streak
Blue Streak

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS / RS, SuperCharged
Thanks guys, that information is very useful!!
Blue Streak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 11:16 AM   #8
AngelSpeedFreak
Most hated in NM....

Drives: Sold the 6POINT2, went to a 50THZ06
very good to know. 80K is not bad at all...