Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 06-07-2016, 12:22 PM   #29
sspddmn

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE and 1991 Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmoden View Post
In June of 2014 my Gorgeous Blue 2013 ZL1 was stolen from my driveway in lovely Sunnyvale California while I was in Bejing. The car was found a month later in Oakland, just a husk, total loss. OnStar was never able to contact the car, even once. Oakland PD found the car.

It took me 11 months to find another ZL1 with the features I wanted, and in January 2015 I took home a brilliant dark blue ZL1 with black wheels and a lovely carbon fiber exposed scoop. My car world is happy again.

Two changes were made.

1.) I got LoJack
2.) I put 3 HD cameras with night vision on the car

Saturday night/Sunday morning at 3:40am PST two enterprising young youths proceeded to crouch in front on my ZL1 with a support vehicle. After about 10min one of them found themselves looking right into a camera. This he spend the next 10min knocking sideways.

Then at 4:10am LoJack sent me an email saying that my car had been moved without my fob. However I did not get this email till 5:15am. At this point my ZL1 was an hour gone.

Questions you may have asked yourself while reading that;

1.) one camera, you said three?

Ah yes, well the house got painted a few weeks ago and I had only hooked back up one of them. The one got ok video, but it may not be clear enough for civilian facial recognition.

2.) what about OnStar? Surely from 2013 to 2015 they made improvements?

Nope! OnStar STILL has not been able to reach the vehicle. Just like last time.

3.) what about LoJack?

Well LoJack must be turned on by the Police once the report is filed. However the police didn't call me back till 6:40am. It's only 45min to Oakland, and that gave them enough time to get breakfast and still get it locked away before LoJack was initiated. Also LoJack is done by Police Vehicle so a department car with the gear installed must drive within X distance to hear my car yelling for help.

So it's now been 40+ hours since my car was kidnapped.

I remain hopeful, but my hope dwindles by the hour.

The ZL1 is the greatest car I have ever owned after a Z51 Vette, R32, S4, M3, WRX and Camaro SS. But I will NOT buy a 3rd one.

LOCK UP YOUR ZL1s!!! They are VERY easy to steal =(

I am very sad.
Sorry for the loss of your Z. I would be devastated. For your next car, I would suggest the Ravelco system. A bunch of us in the Norcal Camaro Club got them for our cars and one attempt to steal a ZL1 was made but unsuccessful due to this anti theft device. Its nothing high tech, basically a kill start but its the way this kill start is installed that makes it successful. The website claim to fame is "over 4 million installed since 1976 and never defeated." Just check out their website: http://nohotwire.com/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back in blk View Post
https://youtu.be/ARrlhlQiFzM. Watch this video this is how they are stealing the cars
Regarding the GM cyber security segment towards the end of the video, I spoke to the auto theft task force deputy for one of the bay area sheriff departments and he told me that GM refuses to cooperate and assist law enforcement in the specific problems which make the 5th gen Camaro one of the easiest vehicles to steal. If they did, GM would be admitting there was a serious problem regarding the Camaro's anti-theft system therefore resulting in a mass recall and of course large sums of money lost for GM. So I have to disagree with GM's head of cyber security when he says that "the safety and security is GM's highest priority for its customers." Their highest priority is making money which is completely normal for any business. And don't get me wrong, not blaming GM or anything, just don't like what that guy said in the video about their customers safety and security bs.
Old 06-07-2016, 12:24 PM   #30
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2015 Malibu LTZ
Two of them stolen??? I feel your pain. That is why I store my signature cars indoors. No method is iron clad because anything can be stolen, but I've learned that certain cars can't be exposed and/or treated like ordinary cars such as a Malibu or a Camry. Camaros have been known to attract trouble. Its a sad state of affairs, but on an ordinary day I dare not drive one of mine to work or leave it outside unless I'm supervising them.

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 12:40 PM   #31
flipstyledsm22
Let's go fishing!

Drives: a car with 8 cylinders
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster12 View Post
While I tend to dissuade victim blaming, I usually limit that to serious cases like rape, murder, sexual assault and such. In the case of theft, it's really a tricky circumstance. I know we should rid the world of criminals, but how likely is that, considering wrong will ALWAYS be the antithesis of right. So, going back to my first statement...saying a woman wearing a short skirt deserves to be raped is far worse than saying a guy who doesn't lock his possessions away deserves to have them stolen. Now back to the gentleman who made the post about the OP not taking precautionary measures...I agree. If you live in a high crime area and have had a car stolen before, there should have been a lesson learned here. Whether he was in town or out of town during this particular incident, was not specified in his post, so that part we won't argue. I do agree that he shouldn't have to concern himself with the possibility of his car being stolen every night, but he should also accept the reality of the circumstances with which he is faced and be proactive, instead of reactive. I don't blame him for his car being stolen, but I would definitely have done more to prevent a second theft in my opinion. No garage, park it in the back yard. No yard, buy a real alarm system and set the sensitivity so that it screams if the wind blows too hard.s unfortunate, but we must be just as vigilant in safeguarding our property as the thieves are determined in taking it.
OP was proactive on his second ZL1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmoden View Post
It took me 11 months to find another ZL1 with the features I wanted, and in January 2015 I took home a brilliant dark blue ZL1 with black wheels and a lovely carbon fiber exposed scoop. My car world is happy again.

Two changes were made.

1.) I got LoJack
2.) I put 3 HD cameras with night vision on the car

flipstyledsm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 12:41 PM   #32
Dropspeed
2013 Camaro SS1LECTSVZ28

Drives: 2013 AGM 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by sspddmn View Post

Regarding the GM cyber security segment towards the end of the video, I spoke to the auto theft task force deputy for one of the bay area sheriff departments and he told me that GM refuses to cooperate and assist law enforcement in the specific problems which make the 5th gen Camaro one of the easiest vehicles to steal. If they did, GM would be admitting there was a serious problem regarding the Camaro's anti-theft system therefore resulting in a mass recall and of course large sums of money lost for GM. So I have to disagree with GM's head of cyber security when he says that "the safety and security is GM's highest priority for its customers." Their highest priority is making money which is completely normal for any business. And don't get me wrong, not blaming GM or anything, just don't like what that guy said in the video about their customers safety and security bs.
Your statement is completely incorrect and not support by any facts.

Recalls are reserved for safety defects or concerns ONLY. GM would not be on the hook for any "large sum of money"

"The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) of the U.S. Department of Transportation provides recall information including vehicle and equipment campaigns from 1966 to present. The campaigns include motor vehicle products which experienced a safety-related defect or did not comply with federal motor vehicle safety standards:"
Old 06-07-2016, 01:10 PM   #33
sspddmn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dropspeed View Post
Your statement is completely incorrect and not support by any facts.

Recalls are reserved for safety defects or concerns ONLY. GM would not be on the hook for any "large sum of money"

"The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) of the U.S. Department of Transportation provides recall information including vehicle and equipment campaigns from 1966 to present. The campaigns include motor vehicle products which experienced a safety-related defect or did not comply with federal motor vehicle safety standards:"
As I stated, my statement was what was told to me by a deputy on the auto theft task force. You are more than welcome to argue this fact with the deputy because I wasn't. And regarding your statement about "safety or concerns ONLY," I think people getting their $40k-$70k cars stolen in 90 seconds qualifies as a "concern." I also understand that recalls are primarily meant for safety. Maybe I should have used the word technical service bulletins if that makes you feel better
Old 06-07-2016, 02:01 PM   #34
JustDo1nMe

Drives: 2018 ZL1
I would still like to know how this car was so easily stolen? Did they use a tow truck or what??
JustDo1nMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 03:17 PM   #35
nvydvr

Drives: 2015 Red Rock ZL1
Theives SUCK!!! Sorry about your loss
nvydvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 03:46 PM   #36
Stormcloak
slower than you

Drives: 2012 C6 Z06
Remotely activated trunkful of C-4 for when you're not going to be driving it?
Old 06-07-2016, 03:50 PM   #37
jayno20
Go fast, please.

Drives: 2019 Corvette ZR1
This is the 2nd or 3rd thread I've read about ZL1's getting jacked all of which were in California... is this a trend over there?
jayno20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 04:10 PM   #38
The_Driver
Banned

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1LS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dropspeed View Post
Victim blaming? (not to mention you didn't comprehend what he wrote as I assume you were too busy formulating your response in your head. He was in Beijing the first time. Not this time.)

Why can't a person park their locked car in their own driveway and expect it to be there in the morning. Because Scum exist
My reading comprehension skills are fine. In your gleeful attempt to try to insult me about my reading skills, you failed to realize that he kept that part of the story somewhat vague and unclear. If he was home when it happened, why would he have to rely on an email notification that his car was being moved at 4 am in the morning? My assumption that he was overseas again or at a location where he couldn't have easily checked on the car is understandable.

Whether he was in Beijing or just around the corner, it still doesn't matter. To leave your prized possession of a ZL1 out in the middle of the driveway in what is the most dangerous area for 5th gen theft is just plain irresponsible and very careless. And to make matters even worse, it happened to him before with his previous ZL1.

If I picked up a hitchiker and got robbed at gun point, would anyone here feel sorry for me? Sure, maybe a few. However, if I did it again knowing full well of what happened to me before the last time, would anyone here feel sorry for me being a "victim" again? Probably not and I wouldn't expect them too.

However, it's all good right?. The careless actions of a few cause higher insurance premiums for the rest of us who own these type of cars. Enjoy the higher rates brah!
The_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 04:27 PM   #39
E. Bryant
Gearhead

Drives: 2012 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by sspddmn View Post
As I stated, my statement was what was told to me by a deputy on the auto theft task force. You are more than welcome to argue this fact with the deputy because I wasn't. And regarding your statement about "safety or concerns ONLY," I think people getting their $40k-$70k cars stolen in 90 seconds qualifies as a "concern." I also understand that recalls are primarily meant for safety. Maybe I should have used the word technical service bulletins if that makes you feel better
FMVSS 114 does indeed cover anti-theft; the Camaro must comply with this regulation or else it would be subject to a recall. But the measures specified in this regulation are very rudimentary, as the anti-theft portion hasn't been updated in decades.

Ultimately, it's insurance rates - not federal regulation - that tend to drive advanced anti-theft measures in the US.

Every security system has vulnerabilities, which is why a layered approach is necessary. The adage "out of sight, out of mind" is a good first step, and if one forgoes that because of housing circumstances, it becomes increasingly difficult to prevent theft. And if someone targets a specific car and shows up with a tow truck, all bets are off.

2012 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 M6 - JRE 650 RWHP kit, AFCO heat exchanger, JPSS V4 aero, Z28 wheels for the twisties and Weld big-n-littles for the dragstrip.
11.193@128.13 in 515' DA
E. Bryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 04:28 PM   #40
sspddmn

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayno20 View Post
This is the 2nd or 3rd thread I've read about ZL1's getting jacked all of which were in California... is this a trend over there?
Yes unfortunately its a major AND ongoing issue here in Cali. I've spoke to several ZL1 owners and they are afraid to drive their cars unless its to somewhere they know it will be safe. I am that way as well. Another ZL1 owner here got his stolen right out the parking lot from his office building not too long ago. We live in fear over here. Too afraid of our prized possession getting stolen. What's sad is that all of us work hard to have what we have and to try and enjoy our cars as much as possible but a lot of us here in the bay area are too often afraid to take our cars out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Driver View Post
My reading comprehension skills are fine. In your gleeful attempt to try to insult me about my reading skills, you failed to realize that he kept that part of the story somewhat vague and unclear. If he was home when it happened, why would he have to rely on an email notification that his car was being moved at 4 am in the morning? My assumption that he was overseas again or at a location where he couldn't have easily checked on the car is understandable.

Whether he was in Beijing or just around the corner, it still doesn't matter. To leave your prized possession of a ZL1 out in the middle of the driveway in what is the most dangerous area for 5th gen theft is just plain irresponsible and very careless. And to make matters even worse, it happened to him before with his previous ZL1.

If I picked up a hitchiker and got robbed at gun point, would anyone here feel sorry for me? Sure, maybe a few. However, if I did it again knowing full well of what happened to me before the last time, would anyone here feel sorry for me being a "victim" again? Probably not and I wouldn't expect them too.

However, it's all good right?. The careless actions of a few cause higher insurance premiums for the rest of us who own these type of cars. Enjoy the higher rates brah!
Actually, Sunnyvale where the OP is from and where the ZL1 got stolen is considered to be a very desirable and expensive city to live in where residential real estate costs are in the 7 figure range to the left of the decimal point
Old 06-07-2016, 04:54 PM   #41
Ragnar
Destroyed by flooding

Drives: Wife's car
Sorry for your losses OP, some people just suck!
Old 06-07-2016, 09:24 PM   #42
2NASSTY

Drives: 2014 M6 ZL1
Very sorry to hear this. Especially having 2 ZL1's taken from you. I love going out to Cali, but damn there are issues out there.

I would be paranoid 24/7 with my Ride out there. Makes me nervous just reading this. Hope something good comes out of this for the OP.
06' LeMans Blue Metallic Z06, 11.726 at 127.80 MPH Motor - SOLD.
96' Impala SS LTx, 11.397 at 118.10 MPH Motor, 1st stage 10.526 at 127.46 MPH

Last edited by 2NASSTY; 06-08-2016 at 01:54 AM.
2NASSTY is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kidnapped, missing, sad, stolen, zl1