Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 05-11-2010, 05:20 PM   #29
rez333

Drives: 2013 ZL1
[QUOTE=HIGHOCTANE;1838297]There is NO Production 5th Gen Z/28!!!!!!(all though I hope there is soon) There isn't even any solid info at this point...So yes that choice would be pretty easy lol. Lets see GT500 or a car that doesn't exsist...hmmm?
/QUOTE]

True, but I'm depending on the numerous sources of rumors around it. I think there are enough of them that a 2011 release is highly likely - I'd say 70%. Put it this way: no-one has EVER refuted the rumors. No-one has ever said that the Z/28 will not be released (I'm talking about rumors since the beginning of 2010) in 2011. All the rumors say the same thing: 2011 release.

This is a great time to live in. The choice we have of inexpensive 400+ HP cars is just amazing. No matter what, we can't lose with whatever we choose.
rez333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 11:23 PM   #30
BigDan

Drives: bug
If you can afford a 2011 GT500 then get it now. Your not going to find a better car for the money. You can can always get the Z if it proves to be better once it comes out. GT500's are going to hold their value alot better then the camaro if you decide to get a Z in a few years.

Even if the z/28 gets the CTS-V's LSA its still not forged and limited to low boost, unlike the GT500 that can take 19psi all day at 750+whp. The Z is also going to have a hard time beating the 2011 GT500 w/ SVT on the road course since it just shaved 3 seconds off their 2010 lap time at Laguna Secca.
BigDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 11:45 PM   #31
AlSuwaidi

Drives: BLACK LS3 GCC-Spec
i bought the camaro blindfolded.. and i love it! passed my high expectations by a mile
AlSuwaidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 01:35 AM   #32
trudawg660

Drives: 2006 Dodge Charger / 2SS IOM
what is going to be the big difference between the 2ss and the Z28. some emblems and the engine. and if it gets the LSA it's just a LS3 with a supercharger and forged internals. most of the people with a SS has modded theirs and it will more than likely be faster than a Z28 anyway. people are going to more than likely pay way more just for the legendary name. just my 2 cents
trudawg660 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 08:27 AM   #33
QBert
Traction Control Hater

Drives: 1968 SS and 2010 SS
Had an 08 GT500 they aren't all that. Bought the Camaro...............have since sold the GT500. The better car won.
Old 05-13-2010, 09:09 AM   #34
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDan View Post
If you can afford a 2011 GT500 then get it now. Your not going to find a better car for the money. You can can always get the Z if it proves to be better once it comes out. GT500's are going to hold their value alot better then the camaro if you decide to get a Z in a few years.

Even if the z/28 gets the CTS-V's LSA its still not forged and limited to low boost, unlike the GT500 that can take 19psi all day at 750+whp. The Z is also going to have a hard time beating the 2011 GT500 w/ SVT on the road course since it just shaved 3 seconds off their 2010 lap time at Laguna Secca.
Quote:
Originally Posted by trudawg660 View Post
what is going to be the big difference between the 2ss and the Z28. some emblems and the engine. and if it gets the LSA it's just a LS3 with a supercharger and forged internals. most of the people with a SS has modded theirs and it will more than likely be faster than a Z28 anyway. people are going to more than likely pay way more just for the legendary name. just my 2 cents
Look at the Sticky for details on LSA. You may be simplifying what you actually mean, however spreading inaccuracies is not going to help misconceptions about this engine. I'm not even going to try to argue that it has the potential the GT500 has, however, there are features LSA has that makes it better for FI than what LS3 comes with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QBert View Post
Had an 08 GT500 they aren't all that. Bought the Camaro...............have since sold the GT500. The better car won.
Why? In all seriousness? It'd be a no-brainer for me (because I'm simply a Camaro-guy) but what was it for you, out of curiosity?

Thanks
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 11:54 AM   #35
el ess A
Older Than Dirt

Drives: 2010 & 2013 Camaros
What I find most interesting, is how can anyone not feel a connection to the Camaro? I guess since I'm from a GM family where GM sales put bread on our table, Ford is just another 4 letter word to me. I don't hate them, they're just not part of my "family." I don't care if Ford built the next car that was fast as the space shuttle, I wouldn't buy it. So to even compare them to even question which one you should buy sounds extremely weird to me. But that's just from my perspective. I can't see things unbiased enough to do that, yet those who aren't from a GM family may not understand my position either.

Part of the reasoning anyone would want a GT500 or 5th gen Z28 (if there ever is one) would be some sort of "status" and feeding an ego, I can understand that. My dad always told me, buy the best you can afford, and you'll never feel cheated. Key word is "afford". Most people buy an LS model of Camaro because 1) That's all they can afford, 2) They like a "no frills" car, 3) It's a good starter car if it's, say, your first new car, 4) (fill in the blank). Millions of reasons. And when people buy a 2SS, they have their reasons, too. You get the idea. Different models fills different "needs" in a car for each customer.

Do you NEED a Camaro? No. An Aveo woud get you from point A to B quite nicely. But if you're cookoo for Camaros, then anything other than a Camaro just won't do. That's why GM built it. Because we WANTED them to and gave GM a good buisness reason to do so. Win/win.

If the Camaro leaves you with doubts after one test drive, then move on. It's not for you, as well as it's not for everyone. I'd rather someone buy a Camaro because they love the car rather than whether "it positions itself nicely on the road." Remember, when your wife/husband/significant other either married/got together with you or avows a love for you, they did it taking into account all your flaws. If they couldn't deal with ALL your flaws, then they too, would move on and not love you as they do now. At least not to the point of bonding with you. To me, Camaro is like that too. I love our Camaro. Flaws and all.

So if you can't get past the flaws or any one particular flaw, then you don't really love the Camaro, and it's not a match made in heaven. Buy the 'stang.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=26108&dateline=142898  4774

Last edited by el ess A; 05-13-2010 at 12:04 PM.
el ess A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 12:00 PM   #36
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by el ess X View Post
What I find most interesting, is how can anyone not feel a connection to the Camaro? I guess since I'm from a GM family where GM sales put bread on our table, Ford is just another 4 letter word to me. I don't hate them, they're just not part of my "family." I don't care if Ford built the next car that was fast as the space shuttle, I wouldn't buy it. So to even compare them to even question which one you should buy sounds extremely weird to me. But that's just from my perspective. I can't see things unbiased enough to do that, yet those who aren't from a GM family may not understand my position either.

Part of the reasoning anyone would want a GT500 or 5th gen Z28 (if there ever is one) would be some sort of "status" and feeding an ego, I can understand that. My dad always told me, buy the best you can afford, and you'll never feel cheated. Key word is "afford". Most people buy an LS model of Camaro because 1) That's all they can afford, 2) They like a "no frills" car, 3) It's a good starter car if it's, say, your first new car, 4) (fill in the blank). Millions of reasons. And when people buy a 2SS, they have their reasons, too. You get the idea. Different models fills different "needs" in a car for each customer.

Do you NEED a Camaro? No. An Aveo woud get you from point A to B quite nicely. But if you're cookoo for Camaros, then anything other than a Camaro just won't do. That's why GM built it. Because we WANTED them to and gave GM a good buisness reason to do so. Win/win.

If the Camaro leaves you with doubts after one test drive, then move on. It's not for you, as well as it's not for everyone. I'd rather someone buy a Camaro because they love the car rather than whether "it positions itself nicely on the road." Remember, when your wife/husband/significant other either married/got together with you or avows a love for you, they did it taking into account all your flaws. If they couldn't deal with ALL your flaws, then they too, would move on and not love you as they do now. At least not to the point of bonding with you. To me, Camaro is like that too. I love our Camaro. Flaws and all.

So if you can't get past the flaws or any one particular flaw, then you don't really love the Camaro, and it's not a match made in heaven. But the 'stang.
No offense to the OP, but this is what I think I wanted to post but couldn't articulate it. I fell in love with the 4th Gen. my dad bought when I was 16. After a couple years, I was able to afford my own '95 Z28 and LOVED it. Over time, my tastes started to change, and I came to realize there were some things that I didn't really like on the car, but my love for Camaro died. I realized that I didn't buy the car for luxuries, or for long trips, or to coddle me. I bought it for it's performance it's rich history. I appreciated the way my '02 Z28 would tear my head off pulling 1.6 60's at the track and spin the tires at 40 MPH downshift; the way that car made the scenery blur and gave me tunnel vision when I went down the track. As time goes on, I realize sure, there are what could be considered shortcomings on the '10, but there's nothing even close to keep me from wanting this car more than almost anything.

No product is perfect, and if you can't look past it's shortcomings, that product is probably not for you
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 03:12 PM   #37
Z/28orSs

Drives: 2000 ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by rez333 View Post
It was exciting to know that confirmation of the Z/28's arrival in 2011 is getting stronger. However, that made me think whether I really wanted to get it.

The thing is, the 2010 SS has excellent performance numbers. However, I took it for a test drive and the experience left me lukewarm. I did however enjoy the test drive of the 2010 Shelby GT500.

Now I am thinking the Z/28 will place better on the road or have better handling but I don't know for sure. The problem is I will probably never get a test drive for a long time (maybe 1-2 years after release?) since every order will be virtually a sold order. It took me about a year from release to get a test drive of the 2010 SS.

So I am full of extreme doubt right now. It is a huge risk not to test drive it before purchasing due to my experiences with the 2010 SS test drive. Conceivably I could make a test drive conditional of a purchase when I order the Z/28, but I think it is too much of a commitment too late. I could be driving in a 2011 Shelby GT500 in Spring 2011 rather than roll the dice with a Fall 2011 Z/28 test drive (which would mean if I didn't like it I would have to wait until Spring 2012 to purchase a Shelby GT500).

Anyway: I was wondering if anyone can give their 2c on the matter.
++++OOhh OOO RAISES HAND+++
after reading your post i have to say that i dont like the clutch either But what kind of test drive did you take? where you could really test the car.
you sound like you have been reading way too many mags. let motortrend go, and go drive both the cars again(back to back). Then come back and tell us your thoughts with out the motortrend pr talking for you.

i have not drove a gt500 so i have no idea what its like or how it handles, but i cant imagine that its much smaller than a camaro
Old 05-19-2010, 02:21 PM   #38
rez333

Thanks everyone for the thoughtful responses after my last response.

I found out what's the accepted term for when I described "place-ability" - and that is "steering response". You steer and the car goes there. The Mustang does that better than the Camaro, and most reviewers have commented the same as what I've experienced.

The combination of "steering response", visibility and size makes the Mustang/Shelby feel smaller.

Anyway, the reason why I'm back on this thread is because I was checking out a sweet Aston Martin DB9 and admiring its hips. My love of the Aston Martin hips brought me back to thinking about the Camaro again. However, the AM hips are like the hips of a super-model whereas by comparison, let's face it, the Camaro's hips look like the hips of a big woman. Nevertheless the Camaro does have hips!

Right now I've got two posters pinned up on the wall:

And I am having doubts now. For me it boils down to this:
1) I prefer the performance/handling of the Shelby
2) I like the looks of the Z/28 (what I think the Z/28 will look like). But I am not sure right now whether:
a) I am going to get sick of it after a while (when there are too many of them on the road)
b) I really do like the hips or not. Sure it has hips, but they're not Aston Martin hips.

Long story short: I haven't ruled out the Z/28. I think I'll wait longer for the actual design and performance stats to come out.

If I really like these hips:

.. then am I being silly for trying to simulate that enjoyment through the Camaro's hips, which don't really look like the AM's hips? Muscle cars are like a raging rhinoceros, and sports cars like the DB9 are like a svelte tiger. Maybe I want my car to be too many things?

Last edited by rez333; 05-19-2010 at 03:12 PM.
Old 05-19-2010, 04:03 PM   #39
Maurdib

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2LT/RS Auto
Quote:
It was exciting to know that confirmation of the Z/28's arrival in 2011 is getting stronger. However, that made me think whether I really wanted to get it.

The thing is, the 2010 SS has excellent performance numbers. However, I took it for a test drive and the experience left me lukewarm. I did however enjoy the test drive of the 2010 Shelby GT500.

Now I am thinking the Z/28 will place better on the road or have better handling but I don't know for sure. The problem is I will probably never get a test drive for a long time (maybe 1-2 years after release?) since every order will be virtually a sold order. It took me about a year from release to get a test drive of the 2010 SS.

So I am full of extreme doubt right now. It is a huge risk not to test drive it before purchasing due to my experiences with the 2010 SS test drive. Conceivably I could make a test drive conditional of a purchase when I order the Z/28, but I think it is too much of a commitment too late. I could be driving in a 2011 Shelby GT500 in Spring 2011 rather than roll the dice with a Fall 2011 Z/28 test drive (which would mean if I didn't like it I would have to wait until Spring 2012 to purchase a Shelby GT500).

Anyway: I was wondering if anyone can give their 2c on the matter.
Why are you comparing the GT500 to the SS? If that is your budget compare it to the Hennessy for the same price and power
Old 05-19-2010, 04:57 PM   #40
rez333

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maurdib View Post
Why are you comparing the GT500 to the SS? If that is your budget compare it to the Hennessy for the same price and power
Because those are the only two cars I can test drive right now (can't test drive a Z/28). It always puzzles me when people buy cars purely based on looks. I personally can't stand the idea of driving a car that looks fast but is dead slow.

For me "steering response" is very important in the feeling of speed. When you're on the track, it may not matter as much because you're going at extreme speeds. But when you're on the streets, there aren't that many opportunities to feel like you're going fast. Steering response goes a long way to make you feel like you're going fast, when your speed is restricted by traffic.

Nevertheless, the Camaro is a head-turner - it does look good.

If I were to rate the cars, on driving enjoyment I'd give the Shelby a 9 and the Camaro SS a 7. I'd imagine the Z28 would get an 8.

On looks, I would rate the Camaro Z/28 (concept pics) a 9, the Shelby an 8, and the Camaro SS an 8.5.

The numbers are so close which is why I am so indecisive.
Old 05-19-2010, 05:46 PM   #41
Maurdib

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2LT/RS Auto
Quote:
Because those are the only two cars I can test drive right now (can't test drive a Z/28). It always puzzles me when people buy cars purely based on looks. I personally can't stand the idea of driving a car that looks fast but is dead slow.

For me "steering response" is very important in the feeling of speed. When you're on the track, it may not matter as much because you're going at extreme speeds. But when you're on the streets, there aren't that many opportunities to feel like you're going fast. Steering response goes a long way to make you feel like you're going fast, when your speed is restricted by traffic.

Nevertheless, the Camaro is a head-turner - it does look good.

If I were to rate the cars, on driving enjoyment I'd give the Shelby a 9 and the Camaro SS a 7. I'd imagine the Z28 would get an 8.

On looks, I would rate the Camaro Z/28 (concept pics) a 9, the Shelby an 8, and the Camaro SS an 8.5.

The numbers are so close which is why I am so indecisive.

All I'm saying is this, Shelby like Hennessey are performance packages like Saleen and Ling. How can you compare a package upgrade to a stock car?
Old 05-19-2010, 05:55 PM   #42
rez333

In the absence of a test drive, I have to "guess" what the Z/28 would be like do I not?

I test drove both the 2010 Mustang GT and the 2010 GT500 and both cars drove very similarly to each other, except of course the GT500 had kick-in-your-pants power. It is reasonable to assume that I will experience a similar comparison between the SS and the Z/28.

It's just common-sense to me that in the absence of a Z/28, then test driving an SS is the next best thing. I don't get why this is puzzling to you.