Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 01-07-2012, 07:15 PM   #29
Brianskeet
Brianskeet

Drives: RJTC 1SS RS L99
The Air Force uses it in jet aircraft and since then all sorts of myths about nitrogen for car tires has run rampant. A fighter will take off from hot concrete in Nellis Airbase with an air temp of 120 and then rapidly climb to 35,000+ feet where the air temp is frequently 50 below zero. Then come back to base and slam that ice cold tire onto scalding hot pavement. Those kinds of conditions are enough to make nitrogen a good idea. For those of us that keep our cars on the surface of the earth it is a complete waste.
ARH 1 7/8 coated LT, High flows, Corsa L99 exhaust, Vmax CNC throttle body, Elite Engineering catch can and tunnel brace, C.A.I. Apex Washer relocation and scoop, Janetty Tune, MSD wires, DEI heat shields, RB rotors and pads, Mike the powder coater calipers, pedders lines, Forgestar F14's, Gorilla nutz, MTI spoiler finished by Gary, Gary's Customz Bow Ties, Side Markers and Tails tinted, Bezels matte black, Badges deleted, Windows Tinted, AAC DRL P13W lights, AAC tinted LED reverse lights, AAC LED interior lights, RPI match painted DRL Bezels, Lis plate frame, Lloyds mats
Brianskeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 07:29 PM   #30
smokingcamaro

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS
I had it in my tires when I first bought my Camaro but I think it is a waste of money!!
smokingcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 03:53 AM   #31
Stingr69
'69 Owned Since '79

Drives: '69 Z/28 LeMans Blue w/White
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdenotter View Post
That's funny I don't see anything on Pirelli's warranty about it being not covered if you fill your tires with nitrogen. http://www.pirelli.com/tire/us/en/ca...l#.Twh8FYdZ674.

Not covered:
P-Metric tires used on commercial vehicles or used in commercial applications. Tires transferred from another vehicle on which they were originally installed. Tires on any vehicle registered and normally operated outside the United States of America or Canada. Tires which have been recapped, or retreaded, or regrooved. Tires used in racing or other competitive events. Tires improperly repaired or with repairs not conforming to Rubber Manufacturers Association standards, or with section repairs, or with self-vulcanizing plug only. Tires which have been modified by the addition or removal of material or any tire intentionally altered to change its appearance. Tires injected with liquid balancer or sealant or in which anything other than air has been used as the support medium. Tires with weather cracking which were purchased more than four years prior to presentation for adjustment (If no proof of purchase date is available, tires manufactured four or more years prior to presentation for adjustment). Tire unserviceability caused by tire operation in excess of tire/wheel manufacturers' specifications and recommendations. Ride related anomalies after the first 2/32" of treadwear. Tires which are mis-applied due to insufficient speed rating, or undersized, or oversized tires. Tires which become unserviceable because of a mechanical irregularity in the vehicle such as misalignment, defective brakes, defective shock absorbers, or improper rims. Tires damaged by fire, chemical corrosion, vandalism, wrecks, chains, theft, run while flat, underinflated, overinflated, or abused during servicing. Flat Spotting caused by improper transport or storage. Tires which become unserviceable because of road hazard injuries (e.g., nails, glass, metal objects) or other penetrations or snags, bruises or impact damage. Tires damaged from improper mounting practices. Tire dealer/retailer services (e.g., mounting, dismounting, balancing, tire rotation, or wheel alignment). Mileage warranty is not applicable to tires fitted as Original Equipment. Tires removed in pairs or sets where no abnormality exists in multiple tires. Summer tires used at or below 45F (7C) ambient temperature.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk
Did you miss this part?
Stingr69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 01:40 PM   #32
jdenotter

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS,M6,Black w/CGM Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingr69 View Post
Did you miss this part?
I read it and nothing clearly states nitrogen.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

3" RDP Motorsports aggressive cat-back exhaust w/ x-pipe, Vararam CAI, Hurst's short throw shifter, Gary's Customs painted bowties, Ofer's HID DRL/Fog Light wiring harness, Kelvin 8K HID DRL bulbs, ZL1 grille. Johnson's window tint film, LSR lowering springs, Metra dash kit with Pioneer In-Dash DVD head unit.
jdenotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 02:03 PM   #33
StellarAuto

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianskeet View Post
The Air Force uses it in jet aircraft and since then all sorts of myths about nitrogen for car tires has run rampant. A fighter will take off from hot concrete in Nellis Airbase with an air temp of 120 and then rapidly climb to 35,000+ feet where the air temp is frequently 50 below zero. Then come back to base and slam that ice cold tire onto scalding hot pavement. Those kinds of conditions are enough to make nitrogen a good idea. For those of us that keep our cars on the surface of the earth it is a complete waste.
This.
Old 01-08-2012, 02:59 PM   #34
SpeedTrap47

Drives: Camaro 2SS, Cadillac SRX, Silverado
http://news.consumerreports.org/cars...nitrogen-.html
http://news.consumerreports.org/cars...en-tires-.html

Also a Goodyear comment on nitrogen inflation can be found on the last page dealing with truck tires but none the less applicable...
http://www.goodyear.com/truck/pdf/ra...tread_S5_V.pdf

Last edited by SpeedTrap47; 01-08-2012 at 03:15 PM.
SpeedTrap47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 03:46 PM   #35
SpeedTrap47

Drives: Camaro 2SS, Cadillac SRX, Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianskeet View Post
One of the underlying reasons is explained in the following

"To eliminate the possibility of a chemical reaction between atmospheric oxygen and volatile gases from the tire inner liner producing a tire explosion, accomplish the following, unless already accomplished:

A. Within 180 days after the effective date of this AD, to ensure that all aircraft tires mounted on braked wheels do not contain more than 5 percent oxygen by volume, accomplish paragraph 1. or 2., below. Either of these procedures is acceptable, or they may be used together:

1. Install a placard, either in each wheel well or on or near each landing gear strut incorporating braked wheels, and in a location so as to be easily seen and readable by a person performing routine tire servicing. This placard shall state "INFLATE TIRES WITH NITROGEN ONLY." The words "SERVICE" or "FILL" may be substituted for the word "INFLATE".

2. Incorporate into the FAA-approved maintenance program procedures that include the following items:

a. On braked wheels, install only tires that have been inflated with dry nitrogen or other gases shown to be inert such that the gas mixture does not exceed 5 percent oxygen by volume.

b. Tires on braked wheels may be serviced with air at remote locations where dry nitrogen is not available, provided that:

i. the oxygen content does not exceed 5 percent by volume; or

ii. within the next 15 hours time-in-service, the tire must be purged of air and inflated with dry nitrogen so that the oxygen does not exceed 5 percent by volume."
SpeedTrap47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 12:24 AM   #36
Ozzie RS

Drives: '11 Camaro RS 2LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by pastohio View Post
Nitrogen is the way to go, it keeps the rubber inside the tires to "live" longer, less moisture dryout, keeps the pressure more stable, larger molecules so IF you get a screw or nail in the tire, the air leaks out less ....especially if the car sits for periods of time, air pressure is more stable, I have an aviation background and only used in jets tires as well...I put it in all my collector, and even in my car trailers, trailers have a big swing in tire pressure when towing...also with less tire pressure swing, less heat which is a big problem with rubber tires....my $.02
I agree with you 100% but in the OP's circumstance I think he is better off with the air compressor and staying away from Nitrogen. The big swings in outside air temperature will not be as noticeable with Nitrogen and it does contain very little moisture if any. That being said, I went to the local welding supply and purchased a big bottle of Nitrogen for less than $15 (refundable deposit was $100 for bottle) for my three cars it will last a lifetime but if you don't have a regulator that will cost you another $100 or so. Most shops and dealers will charge $50 and up to do a swap from air to nitrogen with a free check or fill up a year. Where it is really advantageous is in the spare tire for those that have one. Here in TX it can be 80 degrees in the winter and then 32 degrees the next day and I love not having that annoying idiot light flashing telling me the tire pressure is low, not to mention my wife calling and thinking the world is coming to an end when her low pressure light goes off, lol.
Old 01-09-2012, 12:54 AM   #37
austinjames
Account Suspend...Right

Drives: Synergy LS & Vulcan 1600cc
I filled mine with Helium and this happened:

Old 01-09-2012, 01:06 AM   #38
redhotcandy

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS
Prior to filling my tires with nitrogen, my tire pressure monitor showed low tire pressure in any given tire it seemed like at least once a week. Once I had the nitrogen put in (for $20 at my dealership about six months ago) I've only had to put more nitrogen in one time, and that was because one tire showed slightly low. I put regular air in to get it up to where it should be, and the next time I was near my dealership, I just stopped in and they replaced with nitrogen. They don't charge to maintain the nitrogen levels or replace the "regular" air. It's just not as convienent as stopping by a gas station to get air and leaving it at that.
redhotcandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 01:07 AM   #39
BrandonB956

Drives: RS (11/15/10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinjames View Post
I filled mine with Helium and this happened:

Don't fill them up to much , that 2 ton machine might go airborne on you

Nov.15th 2010 -- Check out my build thread
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116235
BrandonB956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 02:35 PM   #40
Brianskeet
Brianskeet

Drives: RJTC 1SS RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedTrap47 View Post
One of the underlying reasons is explained in the following

"To eliminate the possibility of a chemical reaction between atmospheric oxygen and volatile gases from the tire inner liner producing a tire explosion, accomplish the following, unless already accomplished:

A. Within 180 days after the effective date of this AD, to ensure that all aircraft tires mounted on braked wheels do not contain more than 5 percent oxygen by volume, accomplish paragraph 1. or 2., below. Either of these procedures is acceptable, or they may be used together:

1. Install a placard, either in each wheel well or on or near each landing gear strut incorporating braked wheels, and in a location so as to be easily seen and readable by a person performing routine tire servicing. This placard shall state "INFLATE TIRES WITH NITROGEN ONLY." The words "SERVICE" or "FILL" may be substituted for the word "INFLATE".

2. Incorporate into the FAA-approved maintenance program procedures that include the following items:

a. On braked wheels, install only tires that have been inflated with dry nitrogen or other gases shown to be inert such that the gas mixture does not exceed 5 percent oxygen by volume.

b. Tires on braked wheels may be serviced with air at remote locations where dry nitrogen is not available, provided that:

i. the oxygen content does not exceed 5 percent by volume; or

ii. within the next 15 hours time-in-service, the tire must be purged of air and inflated with dry nitrogen so that the oxygen does not exceed 5 percent by volume."
Nice write up! Nice to run into another Air Force member.
ARH 1 7/8 coated LT, High flows, Corsa L99 exhaust, Vmax CNC throttle body, Elite Engineering catch can and tunnel brace, C.A.I. Apex Washer relocation and scoop, Janetty Tune, MSD wires, DEI heat shields, RB rotors and pads, Mike the powder coater calipers, pedders lines, Forgestar F14's, Gorilla nutz, MTI spoiler finished by Gary, Gary's Customz Bow Ties, Side Markers and Tails tinted, Bezels matte black, Badges deleted, Windows Tinted, AAC DRL P13W lights, AAC tinted LED reverse lights, AAC LED interior lights, RPI match painted DRL Bezels, Lis plate frame, Lloyds mats
Brianskeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 04:50 PM   #41
Rogan
No Pain No Gain

Drives: Yellow 5th Gen 2SS RS
I have nitrogen and can get free fill up when it gets low. At temps of 55 to 70 the pressure is 32lbs and at 80 they are 36lbs when I first start driving. I dont know but I think they are fluctuating a lot more than when I had regular air.

Where should they be during daily driving?
Old 01-27-2012, 05:07 PM   #42
Broffermoon

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS RS
The Camaro came with nitrogen all around. I maintain it through a 5 gallon portable container that the dealership fills for free. I can check my tires at home and still maintain the nitrogen content of the tires. I have read the pros and cons and all I can say..."won't hurt anything" if it is free.