Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 06-09-2013, 05:10 PM   #15
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by CausticGuy View Post
Is it more or less scratch resistant then glass? Also, can they tint it like factory tinted glass, not just with aftermarket tint?
Well the factory glass is tinted at about 75% so I don't see why you couldn't get it done like that.
Old 06-09-2013, 05:12 PM   #16
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
AND the 250x stronger factor can be important for avoiding windows cracking from rock dings.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM

Last edited by Doc; 06-10-2013 at 12:18 AM. Reason: Corrected 250% to 250x
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 05:12 PM   #17
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Yeah Jim said they can tint them.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Old 06-09-2013, 06:50 PM   #18
chicagobulls
one car wolfpack

Drives: 2010 Camaro V6
Nice product.
chicagobulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 06:59 PM   #19
CHMSC
ROAD COURSE JUNKIE

Drives: 2012 SS/RS LS3
Hey Doc, do you have someone lined up to install yours? Maybe we can get an install discount if a few of us use the same person and shipping maybe cheaper if some of them were shipped to the same place?
Old 06-09-2013, 07:08 PM   #20
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHMSC View Post
Hey Doc, do you have someone lined up to install yours? Maybe we can get an install discount if a few of us use the same person and shipping maybe cheaper if some of them were shipped to the same place?
No, hadn't gotten that far yet but that's not a bad idea. Jim said it needs to be a place that's familiar with installing polycarbonate for the door windows but he said any shop that does racing car bodies will be able to do that.

If it looks like the group buy is going to happen I'll start checking around to see what I can find.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Old 06-09-2013, 07:18 PM   #21
CHMSC
ROAD COURSE JUNKIE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
No, hadn't gotten that far yet but that's not a bad idea. Jim said it needs to be a place that's familiar with installing polycarbonate for the door windows but he said any shop that does racing car bodies will be able to do that.

If it looks like the group buy is going to happen I'll start checking around to see what I can find.
I will wait and see then. Depending on when this happens I may want to do the side glass as well.
Old 06-09-2013, 08:33 PM   #22
SPCBA

Drives: pleather and Chiclets
how will it do with a car thats parked outside in a windy and gritty area? my car has never seen a garage. i wouls be interested in all of it in the thinnest/lightest except the rear...dont want to lose defrost and radio for my daily driver/track car

also how does it do with extreme heat and extreme cold?
Old 06-09-2013, 08:57 PM   #23
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPCBA View Post
how will it do with a car thats parked outside in a windy and gritty area? my car has never seen a garage. i wouls be interested in all of it in the thinnest/lightest except the rear...dont want to lose defrost and radio for my daily driver/track car

It's 250 times stronger than regular glass. Should be fine.

I wouldn't suggest going with the thinnest option though - you'll have gaps between the glass and the trim.
Old 06-09-2013, 11:26 PM   #24
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPCBA View Post

Don't know on these; I emailed the link to this thread to Jim so maybe he or someone from Optic can chime in and answer those questions. Since these windows are used on race cars which are out on the track under extreme temperature conditions I should imagine they'd hold up to heat; extreme cold though I don't know. Shouldn't be any worse than any other piece on the car I would think.

I'd recommend a 3/16" windshield for strength or drill and bolt the windshield in for high speed security. The windshield is normally only glued in and at 150+ mph you don't want the windshield deforming under the wind pressure and coming unglued. Side windows could be 1/8" which saves even more weight but then you'd have the mismatch of the surfaces being 1/16" lower than the frame they're mounted in. I don't know how well the door windows would seal against the rubber weather strip if they're 1/8" thinner than normal. That's not an issue on a dedicated track car but mine isn't so I'm going with 3/16" on all pieces so they'll fit exactly like the stock windows. I'll take the few extra pounds weight penalty (can't be that much either; how much weight can 1/16" of a layer be?).

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Old 06-09-2013, 11:56 PM   #25
Moreno1

Drives: G5.R
Hey guys just wanted to chime in and give you a personal testimonial from an end user.

We received our optic armor front and rear glass a few weeks ago and could not be more impressed with the quality and clarity. nobody would ever know that they weren't factory pieces by looking at them.

They are scratch resistant. look at the video below where they have the glass being wiped with steel wool.

They are 250 times stronger, not 250%. I don't think they would shatter if you hit them with a hammer.

One of the big selling points to us was that the Ring brothers use this glass. If any of you are familiar with them, they do not use anything short of the best. all of their builds are top notch and out of this world.

Here is an informative video on optic armor from PRI

Moreno1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 12:13 AM   #26
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Thanks for that correction; that's even better than I thought - 250 TIMES as strong! No rock ding cracked windshields anymore.

Nice informative video too. It's interesting to see that demo where the steel wool is wiping across the "other" brand polycarbonate where you can see the fine scratches and then on the Optic Armor side it's perfectly clean with no scratches.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Old 06-10-2013, 01:33 AM   #27
CHMSC
ROAD COURSE JUNKIE

Thanks for posting that video Nathan. I was still skeptical about this until I saw that. No worries about using the wipers and using it for DD.
Old 06-10-2013, 11:19 AM   #28
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Ok it looks like there's a clarification for the price of the drop-in black windows as I was just informed by Optic Armor.

Here's the link he sent me:

http://opticarmorwindows.com/FAQ.html

I'm trying to find out if the price of $500 is for both front and rear together or for each window.

I'll let you know soon as I find out.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM