Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 04-25-2024, 09:42 AM   #1975
Idaho2018GTPremium

Drives: 2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by docwra View Post
But where do you draw the line?
Ive had plenty of diesel/petrol workhorses, Id have preferred electric power in all of those in every situation apart from time critical 400+ mile journeys.
Id swap the W12 in my VW Phaeton for an EV in a second as it would be smoother, quieter and massively better on fuel.
Ive got an MR-S roadster ..... I like the way it goes on cam and the noise is definitely involving, but instant torque and twice the power would be rather nice too.
I actually have an Audi etron, theres no way Id go from over 60mpg to ~17mpg by swapping it for a slower ICE Q7.

In my Z28? No way, but its hardly an average vehicle, its a car built round an engine specifically to go round racetracks very fast.
My point is for most applications "soul" is irrelevant, and regardless of legislation special ICE cars arent going anywhere.

"Are EVs actually cleaner?" has come up many times in this thread, all Ill say is right now the UK is only using 24% fossil fuels for power generation; Ive no idea why someone would buy 3 EVs but only one Honda Civic in 20 years either
That’s why I said sports car. Diesel trucks have a purpose and EV can’t match them yet. I hate the black soot from diesels, would be nice if BEV could get to that duty level. I don’t care about soul in a truck or commuter.

Civics when well taken care of can last decades. EVs have a short lifespan. That’s why there will be 2-3 EVs sold for every Civic (or Corolla, Camry, etc.).

Past:
2018 Mustang GT Premium w/ PP1, MR, and A10
2007 MazdaSpeed3
1995 Pontiac Trans Am
1987 Camaro Z28

Last edited by Idaho2018GTPremium; 04-25-2024 at 09:55 AM.
Idaho2018GTPremium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2024, 10:00 AM   #1976
Evergreen6

Drives: 2023 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho2018GTPremium View Post
EVs have a short lifespan.
I'd be interested to see your data analysis here.

Tesla warranties their batteries for 8 years or 125k, and people are getting 200k+ with around only 10% capacity loss.

I'm not aware of any ICV manufacturer who warranties anything for 125k, are you?
Evergreen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2024, 11:19 AM   #1977
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesMyBoy View Post
Regarding the chart above...
Is there no graph of the Total emissions from manufacturing AND use of EVs?
Looks like we get the total for gas cars, but have to add all of the numbers for Electric cars to get the same metric?
Just wondering :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by m6-lt1 View Post
I don’t think you’re understanding the chart right. The entire bar is literally what you are asking for. It was broken down into parts for people to see how much emissions are created for all the aspects in which anti ev folks argue about.
Exactly. If you want the equivalent of the red lines, it’s the top of the stacked bars.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2024, 12:22 PM   #1978
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Gimme a break. How many EVs will last 155,000 miles? Gotta add 50% or more to all the EV emissions levels to be closer to apples to apples to account for building more EVs due to a shorter life span. Then compare that to a civic or other decently efficient ICE and the EV will likely have more emissions. Not to mention this is just looking at carbon dioxide. Not even taking into account other environmental attributes, which the EV is clearly worse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergreen6 View Post
Um, you may want to look at all the Teslas over 200k on the original battery.

And did you really care about saving the environment before you got mad at EV's? Probably not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergreen6 View Post
I'd be interested to see your data analysis here.

Tesla warranties their batteries for 8 years or 125k, and people are getting 200k+ with around only 10% capacity loss.

I'm not aware of any ICV manufacturer who warranties anything for 125k, are you?
The chapter on “how long does an EV last” has not been written yet. There is simply not enough real world data. But logic lands on the side of the EV lasting as long as if no longer than ICE simply from the standpoint of
  1. Fewer moving / friction focused parts. Less things to wear out.
  2. Modularity of build making many of the essential subsystems easily replaceable.

Let’s not conflate maintenance / longevity with repairability. Today EVs have a repairability problem. Parts distribution systems are not mature, especially for direct-to-customer sales (no dealership network). So they rely on the OE for parts supply to repair vehicles that have been physically damaged. This is not sustainable.

Add to that the tendency for BEVs to be over the air updatable via software upgrades and you have a scenario where owners are more likely to keep older vehicles that acquire new capabilities via upgrades. The Tesla we bought in November now has capabilities it did not have when we bought it. Nothing spectacular. Just things like the Lane Departure Warning indicators now show a red line next to the camera view of the lane we’re looking to merge into if something is in the blind spot. But the thing is, people who bought similar cars in 2018 receive most of the same upgrades and now have product capability equivalent to a brand new car on the lot. This is not unique to EVs. ICE manufacturers are starting to add the same capability. But the point is, the continuous system upgrades and feature enhancement goes a long way towards keeping the vehicle fresh.

Batteries are showing to last longer than originally expected provided the owners properly care for them and follow recommended charging instructions. A lot of owners are seeing single digit % drop off in the first year of operation, then leveling off for years. Proper care includes
  • charging to 80% except for known long trips, then charge to 100%. Exception being LFP batteries which work better when consistently topped off at 100%
  • Preconditioning the battery before using DC Fast Charging. Teslas and most newer EVs precondition when you set navigation to a charging station. Others have a button or a menu option to precondition.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:44 AM   #1979
docwra

Drives: 2015 Z28
Quote:
How many EVs will last 155,000 miles? Gotta add 50% or more to all the EV emissions levels to be closer to apples to apples to account for building more EVs due to a shorter life span. Then compare that to a civic or other decently efficient ICE and the EV will likely have more emissions. Not to mention this is just looking at carbon dioxide. Not even taking into account other environmental attributes, which the EV is clearly worse.
Youre assuming EVs only last half as long as EVs (they dont) and youre not taking into account clean power generation.
EVs are also constantly developing, getting more range per kW where ICE cars are about as economical as they are going to get.

And why just Co2? Theres at least 20 harmful materials coming out of ICE tailpipes, theres none coming out of EVs.

Other than that its a great argument.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho2018GTpremium
That’s why I said sports car.
Sports cars account for 1-2% of total US annual sales. If ICE production does finish those numbers are hardly going to stop the world turning.

Last edited by docwra; Yesterday at 04:02 AM.
docwra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:28 AM   #1980
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2015 Malibu LTZ
Here are a few of my random thoughts. EVs are not a new automotive concept. The concept has been around for decades. It has been as recent as a decade that EVs are slowly but surely approaching the mainstream automotive genre. Its acceptance continues to be mixed, and some of the reasoning is valid.

One of those reasonings is reliability. As far as a mode of transportation, EVs (in my experience) are fine utensils of transportation. They can reach your destination with far less noise and pollution. The issue comes with re-charging and re-energizing. On average it takes far more time to re-charge a battery cell, and at this writing it is unclear about options for battery servicing and replacement.

In terms of real world reliability and acceptance, EVs have yet to exceed modern ICE vehicles. There are some factions that will refuse to give up ICE for EVs. If push came to shove, the majority of ICE owners will simply buy more Honda Civics, Toyota Corollas, and Chevrolet Silverado (yours truly included). ICE vehicles have endured at least ten decades of advancement, and the end result of some advancements are astonishing. Those advancements include power at any displacement, improved fuel efficiency, and technology advancements aimed at ICE vehicles.

However, I feel that alternative energy sources are needed, and should continue to advance in development and marketing. The objective should always be to develop an improvement in the means of reliable transportation for all.

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote