Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 03-08-2010, 01:06 PM   #29
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 89 IROC 350
Looks stupid. Sorry, its a chevy not a fantasy robot.
IROCanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 01:11 PM   #30
cdigiovanni

Drives: 2010 SS2, 03 vette supercharged,
holes are a quick fix can be more the $400 bucks to get then patched...
cdigiovanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 01:41 PM   #31
Revo1
Don't Like it? Suggit.

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueSS View Post
So when one gets more cooler, does it freeze?

"Tops off, tach up baby- loud and proud!"
A Camaro lover from day one- 1996 3.8 V6 Camaro, to 1996 5.7 LT1 Camaro Z28, to the sold 2002 5.7 LS1 Camaro SS, and NOW, a [I]6.2 L99 VR 2SS/RS: XS Power stainless full exhaust, Airaid CAI, BMR drop springs and sways, custom tune by Cal Speed- 411rwhp
Revo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 02:06 PM   #32
hrpiii
AKA "Beefcake"

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Sharkskin
I see a majority of the people using the rear bowtie as a 'handle' when closing the trunk. They don't grab the top of the trunk, they use the bowtie and slam the trunk closed. Maybe that's why it's attached the way it is.
hrpiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 02:24 PM   #33
slick rick
SoCal Mayhem

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrpiii View Post
I see a majority of the people using the rear bowtie as a 'handle' when closing the trunk. They don't grab the top of the trunk, they use the bowtie and slam the trunk closed. Maybe that's why it's attached the way it is.
Makes sense, I would think over time the bowtie would slowly start moving down if it it wasn't "locked" in place.
Old 03-08-2010, 02:52 PM   #34
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hylton View Post
Sorry but I am siding with the OP here. Most badges are placed onto cars using "positioning plates" and they certainly could have been used here. They are used to place the "SS" or "RS" emblems on the trunklid as well as the "camaro" emblem on the front fenders as there are no holes behind them.

Yes, you need to be sure that the bowtie is not installed upside down but there are other ways of ensuring that.
Ok if you want more details, here goes.

First most of the emblems aren't this size and what most people forget is that there are a great number of people that don't want to touch the paint so, and I find myself doing this as well, grab the top edge of the bow tie to close the decklid.

So with the size of the emblem, compounded by it on a panel that slams (and yes I recognize that other much smaller emblems are also on decklids, just not this big) and the fact that some customers will put force on the emblem when closing makes one want to have some added robustness.

Take a super hot Phoenix day and see if the double side tape on any emblem doesn't feel just a little bit looser to you?

As I said, it's ok not to like it. But there are reasons for it and I am hoping people will quit calling GM "stupid" or "failed" for things they don't fully understand.

Could it have been taped on? Sure. But then I'd be answering a post on why when they pull the decklid closed their bow tie fell off.
Old 03-08-2010, 02:53 PM   #35
Revo1
Don't Like it? Suggit.

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by klatterblast View Post
Sorry but i was talking about the nagative remarks about the camaro in general like it being called a failboat but im sure he was joking i hope, not cool being i paid $42,000 for a faiboat. and i do like modding and i like the autobot emblems i have posted before on where to get them cheap and they are nice aluminum emblems i bought there aluminum ss's. it sucks that the autobot emblem does not cover the holes maybe they can make a wider emblem i would call someone to fab one up. heres a link to where to get them cheap;http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...81#post1560181
Could I have been any more sarcastic?

"Tops off, tach up baby- loud and proud!"
A Camaro lover from day one- 1996 3.8 V6 Camaro, to 1996 5.7 LT1 Camaro Z28, to the sold 2002 5.7 LS1 Camaro SS, and NOW, a [I]6.2 L99 VR 2SS/RS: XS Power stainless full exhaust, Airaid CAI, BMR drop springs and sways, custom tune by Cal Speed- 411rwhp

Last edited by Revo1; 03-08-2010 at 04:03 PM.
Revo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 03:03 PM   #36
Hylton

Drives: fanboys and ass kissers crazy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
Ok if you want more details, here goes.

First most of the emblems aren't this size and what most people forget is that there are a great number of people that don't want to touch the paint so, and I find myself doing this as well, grab the top edge of the bow tie to close the decklid.

So with the size of the emblem, compounded by it on a panel that slams (and yes I recognize that other much smaller emblems are also on decklids, just not this big) and the fact that some customers will put force on the emblem when closing makes one want to have some added robustness.

Take a super hot Phoenix day and see if the double side tape on any emblem doesn't feel just a little bit looser to you?

As I said, it's ok not to like it. But there are reasons for it and I am hoping people will quit calling GM "stupid" or "failed" for things they don't fully understand.

Could it have been taped on? Sure. But then I'd be answering a post on why when they pull the decklid closed their bow tie fell off.

Come on - it's not really a handle is it? Sure doesn't feel like one. When are you putting one on the hood so that people won't damage the paint when they close it?
Hylton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 07:04 PM   #37
RCLapCar

Drives: 2016 2SS A8 HB/JB
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrpiii View Post
I use mine as a handle to close the trunk.
Old 03-09-2010, 06:05 AM   #38
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Ok, I never said it was a handle. Jeeze guys.

The biggest reason is probably that the Bow Tie MUST be properly located. The Bow Tie is placed across a feature line. This means the decklid and the Bow Tie both have an angled surface if you locate the Bow Tie even 1 mm to the right or left the double sided tape will only be wet out on one side.

So if it is not properly wet out then it won't be attached robustly and grabbing it when you close the trunk or slamming it hard or sitting in the hot sun would all be detrimental.

Yes, if it were a flat surface, the Bow Tie would probably not have to have holes.

I was merely trying to point out that there are reason(s) why the holes are there and just because it makes a desirable mod harder to do doesn't make it stupid. It was actually, like most of the Camaro, pretty well thought out.

You guys know I get all wound up when someone says something that GM did was stupid.
Old 03-09-2010, 06:25 AM   #39
Trailbreaker77

Drives: 2010 Transformers Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrix View Post
I have been searching endlessly to remove the rear bowtie and replace it with something more cooler.

I jumped at this idea I stumbled across and did some quick photoshops to debadged and put the emblem on. The largest emblem I can find is aluminium and 3"x3"

BTW the pictured emblem is not to scale! This is the size it would need to be to cover the holes.

Really pissed cos I dont think it will cover the holes.

GRRRRR!!! GM what were you thinking putting those stupid holes there WHY!!!

2 holes to ENSURE the bowties are straight, were they drinking on the job!!!!

GOD!!!!!!!!
I did something very close to this I will post some pictures later this week when I get my car back.
Old 03-09-2010, 10:10 PM   #40
Jetreid

Drives: 2010 Camaro ls
Personaly I like the LED Bow tie that ACC made. you could tie it into the brake lines and make it a 4th brake light....or have it on all the time. Ether way it looks awesome!!
Jetreid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 07:57 PM   #41
Hylton

Drives: fanboys and ass kissers crazy.
Good news (for buyers of future Camaros), these holes are about to be elliminated. There was concern that these holes could cause future water issues and as a result, they are no longer going to exist. The Chevy bowtie will be adapted to fit the change.
Old 07-23-2010, 08:11 PM   #42
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hylton View Post
Good news (for buyers of future Camaros), these holes are about to be elliminated. There was concern that these holes could cause future water issues and as a result, they are no longer going to exist. The Chevy bowtie will be adapted to fit the change.
They are already gone. We have had one or two owners de-badge their 2011's and there are no holes underneath.
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote