Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 01-30-2018, 10:30 AM   #1
rmcbee

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Injectors

I see on this forum a lot of builds have the ID850 injectors and some seem to be moving to the 1050X. I'm old and some of this stuff is new to me and I'm not always sure of the benefits. I have a rotofab cai, kooks headers, cat delete, ati super damper, btr stage 3 cam and a tune. I dynoed right at 600 and would like to get to 650 as least. I don't know that injectors alone get me there, but they cant' hurt? So, should I get a set of injectors and if so do I get the 850s or the 1050s? I see them sometimes used on the *fs* section and thought maybe I should grab a set. Tks
rmcbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 10:52 AM   #2
JB'sZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 and 2019 Ram Laramie
850's are no longer made. You'll need to get 1050's unless you buy used or os.

Injectors don't by themselves don't get you more hp. You generally get bigger injectors to facilitate more fuel because of other mods. Also, what is your duty cycle according to your tuner? You will be getting close to max at 600 rwhp. Starving the engine of fuel is a bad thing. Not only will bigger injectors "not hurt," they may now be necessary, and will certainly facilitate future mods.

Finally, if you will be modding down the road, I wouldn't even mess with 850's...I'd go right to 1050's or 1300's depending on where you're planning on going.
JB'sZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 11:28 AM   #3
ZMEnow

Drives: ZL1, 2013, tri-coat-red, manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmcbee View Post
I see on this forum a lot of builds have the ID850 injectors and some seem to be moving to the 1050X. I'm old and some of this stuff is new to me and I'm not always sure of the benefits. I have a rotofab cai, kooks headers, cat delete, ati super damper, btr stage 3 cam and a tune. I dynoed right at 600 and would like to get to 650 as least. I don't know that injectors alone get me there, but they cant' hurt? So, should I get a set of injectors and if so do I get the 850s or the 1050s? I see them sometimes used on the *fs* section and thought maybe I should grab a set. Tks
U didn't say what the lower ring was or if the upper was changed, but I bet u were at 100% duty cycle,on stock injectors.
ZMEnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 12:49 PM   #4
rmcbee

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMEnow View Post
U didn't say what the lower ring was or if the upper was changed, but I bet u were at 100% duty cycle,on stock injectors.
I went to 10% on the lower pulley.
rmcbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 01:01 PM   #5
CAM....ZL1

Drives: 2012 ZL1
Quote:

I would almost bet you already have injectors replaced with that list. I had JRE 750 kit with 850's. Rough idle cam, headers, cat delete, 28% lower. I only went to 1300's because i'm adding flex fuel.
CAM....ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 01:01 PM   #6
silversleeper
Big Crow

Drives: '13 ZL1
So if you are maxed out with your injectors simply adding more fuel won't gain you anything as they said. I'm NOT a LSA engine expert or tuning expert, just read a lot and know science and engines. I know enough to know what should work doesn't always. I'll give an example I talked to Ted at Jannetty Racing and I wanted to do something that should self tune by the engine sensors. He said it won't work.
I tried to turn on the virtual ethanol e85 sensor in the computer. It should have self tuned to achieve proper air fuel ratios. I don't know exactly what it did do but it didn't work.
It showed 0% alchol in my blend which was wrong, it had more e85 added plus the 10% state minimum. Also it was getting engine knock counts.
There are a dozen very smart and experienced individuals and tuners on this forum.
Do lots of reading and or talk to them.
With your cam I'm guessing you could get to 650rwhp with bigger injectors AND more boost (larger lower pulley). Maybe you could do that without requiring e85 or torco octane booster or VP race gas because you have the advantage of a good cam already.
I'm going to guess you have a 5 or 10% lower pulley and if it is 10% I'm surprised your injectors aren't already overworked. The smart people will tell you what pulley to go to, I don't know, 18% or more without requiring different gas.

Last edited by silversleeper; 01-30-2018 at 02:08 PM.
silversleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 01:24 PM   #7
silversleeper
Big Crow

Drives: '13 ZL1
Edit: Several new posts before I got mine posted
As Cam ZL1 said, sounds like you are looking to replicate JRE 750hp package as he had.
So new 1050x ID injectors, 28% pulleys and a new tune will get you there.
Oh, and a new fuel pump or boost a pump
silversleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 01:32 PM   #8
ZMEnow

Drives: ZL1, 2013, tri-coat-red, manual
Quote:
I went to 10% on the lower pulley.
Can't imagine running stock injectors in that configuration, but maybe they have been changed. 1050's or 1300's if you are considering E85, or if money doesn't really matter.
ZMEnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 02:41 PM   #9
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
If you're running a 10% and a cam on stock injectors...It's a miracle you haven't had any issues. I'd go for 1050s. As noted, 850s are no longer made.

Also, you should be well over 600 RWHP with a cam. I'd switch out your 10% pulley for a 22.5% or 28% since you have a stage 3 cam. Talk to your builder, there'll be supporting mods needed. That will get you up to the 650 RWHP number like you said you want. Injectors by themselves won't add any power, they just support more power.
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 07:58 AM   #10
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Please feel free to give me a call I can answer all of your questions and get you headed in the right direction. 203-753-7223

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote