Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 04-30-2011, 05:22 PM   #1
mjbreese

Drives: 2010 Camaro- Veronica
v6 brake screech

i have about 12000 miles on my v6 and ever since i got it, the brakes have squealed. Under heavy braking there is nothing... but when i slowly ease on to it at low speeds it gets super annoying. I have taken it to the dealership about four times since i have had it and they do not know what the true problem is... they have replaced the pads a few times and also 'allegedly' replaced the front right rotor. Usually, it doesnt happen again until a week after the pads are replaced.

The noise is not terrible and most cannot really hear it too well but as someone who treats my car like a baby, it is the most frustrating thing. If anyone has had a similar problem on the v6 brakes and/or found a solution, please let me know.
mjbreese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 06:20 PM   #2
speedbrds
It wasn't me!

Drives: '11 SW Camaro LS
I have the same problem and have just under 11000 on the clock. If you've replaced the pads, I'd suggest changing the rotors as well. I'd go for something better than stock. Unfortunately, I don't have the funds, but I am thinking about changing out the brake system.
speedbrds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 06:29 PM   #3
Taintedveins
Shark attack!

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
I have been told that is just dust but i don't quiet know. I have had the same problem for some time now.
Old 05-03-2011, 12:48 PM   #4
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
mjbreese, I would like to setup a case for you with our Customer Assistance team to see if we can quiet your brakes. If you could direct message me your name, address and phone number I'll be able to take care of that for you. This offer goes to anyone else having this issue as well. I hope this helps.

Jeff Morris, Chevrolet Customer Service
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 01:49 PM   #5
CamK18

Drives: 2010 1LT Vic Red
I had this same problem...I took it into the dealer and left the car overnight so they could drive it in the morning when the screeching was at it's worst. It's the rear pads...mine were "glazed" over from the factory. Replaced them about 6-7000 Km a go and havnt had a problem since.

Hope this helps
Old 05-03-2011, 02:31 PM   #6
mjbreese

Drives: 2010 Camaro- Veronica
thanks everyone for the responses. and jeff a pm has been sent. hopefully we can get to the bottom of this
mjbreese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 10:27 PM   #7
Ekow
SoCal HT5 [COTW: 3/12/12]

Drives: '10 2LT/RS
I'm glad I found this thread because I've been having this problem. My car has 26k miles, but my brakes have been screeching ever since I remember driving this car. It really comes and goes. It mostly happens when I first drive off with the car. When I start to drive it faster and brake again, there's no sound and hardly anymore after that. I don't know if it's because of temperature, I'm on a slope, or what... I brought it to a brake place, and the brakes are in good shape. Unfortunately, my writer at Chevrolet said brakes are only under warranty till about 7600 miles (I think). He said the rotars might need to be deglazed so it can be smoothed out for the brakes.

I'm taking it there tomorrow. I will pay to fix it! I just want it at least properly diagnosed. If I need to buy new brakes all together (that are not stock if needs be), then I'll do that.

If anyone else has updates on their brakes for the v6, post it here please!
Old 09-27-2011, 01:21 PM   #8
DevilKnightFalcon

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS
Send a message via AIM to DevilKnightFalcon Send a message via Yahoo to DevilKnightFalcon
I just replaced my pads and I have this exact problem now. I believe it is caused by the fact that the stock pads use counter weights on the pads and some of the aftermarket pads don't have them.

MBRP Catback/Magnaflow Resonated X/Airraid V2 CAI/Dash ABL/Interior LEDs/Custom Paint/Jet Coated American Racing LT Headers/High Flow cats/Trifecta Tune
DevilKnightFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 01:26 PM   #9
PhoenicianB
Beep Beep.........

Drives: Bumbleblue
Thanks for this post MJbreese, and thanks Jeff, I've sent you a pm as well.
Old 09-27-2011, 06:27 PM   #10
Parag

Drives: 2010 camaro 2SS LS3
the squeak is between the pad and the pressure point. always. just need to get a tube of squeak stop, and glue the pad to caliper. dealer should know that, but they never use that stuff
Parag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 11:36 PM   #11
Ekow
SoCal HT5 [COTW: 3/12/12]

Drives: '10 2LT/RS
Update: It's been two weeks now since Chevy just replaced my brake pads and deglazed the rotars. The irritating squeaking is gone!
Old 10-12-2011, 12:16 AM   #12
xTHExxFALLENx

Drives: 2010 RS / 2017 SS
I had the same problem it comes and goes but my dealer said it was normal.
xTHExxFALLENx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 01:51 PM   #13
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Fallen, is there another dealer in your area that you could go to? Getting a second opinion would be a good idea if you want to get this addressed. Let me know how things go if you do take it in to another dealer. You should be able to take it to any GM dealer for work but a Chevy dealer would be best. I hope that helps.

Jeff Morris, Chevrolet Customer Service
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 06:41 PM   #14
right to travel

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1SS 1LE SW
FYI chevy customer svc there is a thread on here that contains a huge list of us wtih the v6 squeak. this is a definate issue with the v6's. id say 40-60% of us just a guess though. most are living with it but its a pretty widespread
right to travel is offline   Reply With Quote