Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 08-17-2011, 01:04 PM   #1
SnoopyAce7
(ʘ‿ʘ)

Drives: The one with a roof rack
Unhappy ticket(s)....

Hey guys...

Recently got 2 tickets at 1 stop... 1 for tail light tint and the other for improper exhaust. The officer recommended that I go on my appointed court date with pictures of the tint removed and the receipt from the shop that puts a proper exhaust on (since I told him i would most likely go to a shop to throw the stock back on). Today, however, I put it on myself since I've done the exhaust about 3 times on this car. I took pictures of the tint before/after. Done. The exhaust I took a "before" pic where there were no mufflers and I also took a quick video of the sound difference. I was wondering if there's a way to get the exhaust "certified" by going to a shop (ex. noise db level/smog/etc) & if anyone has ever heard of doing this, so that I have paper proof to bring to the courthouse. Useful insight only please, I'm not looking for flames on this one guys.... Thanks in advanced.
Old 08-17-2011, 01:06 PM   #2
Ironheadspearo
ride the pain train

Drives: 2011 1LT RS, 1998 fxstc HD
never heard of improper exhaust ticket...... did you remove your cats?
Old 08-17-2011, 01:08 PM   #3
SnoopyAce7
(ʘ‿ʘ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironheadspearo View Post
never heard of improper exhaust ticket...... did you remove your cats?
Had turn downs after the cats...no muffler is what the officer stressed even though i kept the noise quiet in 6th gear.
Old 08-17-2011, 01:13 PM   #4
SnoopyAce7
(ʘ‿ʘ)

If there were tips coming out the back i think it would be a different story, but he saw i didn't have any...
Old 08-17-2011, 01:14 PM   #5
Flashpoint135

Drives: 2016 SS
In NY I would be to take it to another cop and have him listen to it and sign the ticket (or something) saying it is now in compliance w/law. Certainly drive the car to the appearance. The writing officer should be there, if you can show it to him before going in front of the judge that will take care of it as well.
Flashpoint135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 01:18 PM   #6
steeleshark2

Drives: 2010 Transformer 1SS Camaro
Virginia has crazy laws like that. You will be fine with pics and the video of the sound I believe. I do not know why you would have to get it recertified since mufflers do not effect emissions. Just tell them the truth that you installed it yourself.
steeleshark2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 01:35 PM   #7
SILVERHAWK

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS, '22 Silverado Z71
Many states have statutes that stipulate that the vehicle must be equipped with a working muffler. I'm sure your state has one as well might want to check that one out before you put out your thoughts on the officers actions.
Old 08-17-2011, 01:46 PM   #8
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
The exhaust ticket is just an FYI. An officer can't give you a ticket for exhaust being too loud without measuring your exhaust with a decibel-meter. But in regards to your mufflers. This is the VA law on the subject:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46.2-1047. Muffler cutout, etc., illegal

It shall be unlawful to sell or offer for sale any (i) muffler without interior baffle plates or other effective muffling device or (ii) gutted muffler, muffler cutout, or straight exhaust. It shall be unlawful for any person to operate on the highways in the Commonwealth a motor vehicle, moped, or motorized skateboard or scooter equipped with a gutted muffler, muffler cutout, or straight exhaust.

(Code 1950, § 46-306; 1950, p. 54; 1958, c. 541, § 46.1-302; 1964, c. 628; 1989, c. 727; 2006, cc. 529, 538.)
But at the same time:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46.2-1049. Exhaust system in good working order

No person shall drive and no owner of a vehicle shall permit or allow the operation of any such vehicle on a highway unless it is equipped with an exhaust system in good working order and in constant operation to prevent excessive or unusual levels of noise; provided however, that for motor vehicles, such exhaust system shall be of a type installed as standard factory equipment, or comparable to that designed for use on the particular vehicle as standard factory equipment. An exhaust system shall not be deemed to prevent excessive or unusual noise if it permits the escape of noise in excess of that permitted by the standard factory equipment exhaust system of private passenger motor vehicles or trucks of standard make.

The term "exhaust system," as used in this section, means all the parts of a vehicle through which the exhaust passes after leaving the engine block, including mufflers and other sound dissipative devices.

Chambered pipes are not an effective muffling device to prevent excessive or unusual noise, and any vehicle equipped with chambered pipes shall be deemed in violation of this section.
So basically if you can prove that your aftermarket exhaust is "in good working order" then the ticket gets dropped.
Old 08-17-2011, 03:33 PM   #9
SnoopyAce7
(ʘ‿ʘ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stieger View Post
The exhaust ticket is just an FYI. An officer can't give you a ticket for exhaust being too loud without measuring your exhaust with a decibel-meter. But in regards to your mufflers. This is the VA law on the subject:

But at the same time:

So basically if you can prove that your aftermarket exhaust is "in good working order" then the ticket gets dropped.
thank you for that. Except my "aftermarket exhaust system" was 2 turndown pipes from auto zone lol. I don't think the court will buy it. idk. I'll update the thread after the court date. Oct. 14. thnx guys.
Old 08-17-2011, 03:44 PM   #10
Silverlsinva

Drives: 2013 Fiat 500 Abarth Grigio
Must have gotten pulled over in fairfax county or city lol They are very strict and not very friendly. how loud was ur car and how did u stand it with just turn downs? I have a muffler delete and its extreamly loud when i get on it but a nice deeper mellow tone when cruising i would recommend that for a exhaust. if u still like loud,
Silverlsinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 04:16 PM   #11
SnoopyAce7
(ʘ‿ʘ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverlsinva View Post
Must have gotten pulled over in fairfax county or city lol They are very strict and not very friendly. how loud was ur car and how did u stand it with just turn downs? I have a muffler delete and its extreamly loud when i get on it but a nice deeper mellow tone when cruising i would recommend that for a exhaust. if u still like loud,
To some, it was too loud but I liked it and people complimented it saying it sounded mean. its so disappointing to have the stock back on. I actually got pulled over by va state police on 95 taking exit 158. & yeah i heard of fairfax being strict about those things...i work up in fairfax & going to GMU this fall so i'll being seeing them even more!

Is there drone with the muff delete...surprisingly there was no drone with the turndowns, just seat vibrations lol.
Old 08-18-2011, 12:12 AM   #12
Silverlsinva

Drives: 2013 Fiat 500 Abarth Grigio
there is alot of drone and rattle actually with the windows up. but for some reason with the windows down drone kinda goes away and so does the rattle and its only at certain rpms
Silverlsinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 01:03 AM   #13
SM0KE
IN THE CIRCLE

Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopyAce7 View Post
Hey guys...

Recently got 2 tickets at 1 stop... 1 for tail light tint and the other for improper exhaust.
Whew thats a relief. The world is safer now.
Forget about the thieves, drug dealers, rapists, murderers, and all the other f#c&e$ up people out there.
Lets focus on exhausts. Tax dollars hard at work as usual.

SM0KE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 07:39 AM   #14
Urthman
Future Camaro Owner

Drives: 2010 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4dr
I've seen you around the area and have to say that it was NOT too loud. It sucks that you got ticketed for it, but there isn't much you can do other than comply with the police/court requirements.
Urthman is offline   Reply With Quote