Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 07-17-2014, 10:47 AM   #43
crazy4camaro

Drives: 2012 RSLT,1979 Trans Am
Have tried higher octane found no markable difference got 18 mpg with either fuel
crazy4camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 11:16 AM   #44
cliffdog89

Drives: 2LT/RS M6 '12 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z28bryan View Post
So much misinformation!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-17-2014, 11:43 AM   #45
xRedsox
Night Fury

Drives: 2016 Golf R
Higher octane is better for a new engine, if you have had your v6 for over a year or too than it won't really change besides performance.
Old 07-17-2014, 11:47 AM   #46
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Drives: Team 1LE
Wow this thread has a lot of BS in it.
Old 07-17-2014, 12:10 PM   #47
Josh.Duncan

Drives: 2014 1LT/RS Camaro; 2012 VW Jetta
Best advice is to read the owners manual. It specifically says in the V6 to use regular unleaded rated at 87 or higher. In the V8 it says to use premium rated 91 or higher. I personally use ethanol free regular rated 87 right now.
MRT V1.0 Axle-Back Exhaust
BMR Strut Tower Brace
LG Motorsports ZR28 Black Wheels
Josh.Duncan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 01:51 PM   #48
Forte

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS CGM W/ Black Stripes
I personally use 91 because I feel as though I can tell a difference. Can I actually? No idea as I haven't done any studies myself. There are so many conflicting opinions in this thread being passed off as fact, it's terrible.

Anyway, the price difference is negligible and I feel as if it performs better so I'll continue with that until either I can't spare the extra 3-4 dollars per fill up or something with actual knowledge is posted here.
Forte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 02:05 PM   #49
searam

Drives: 2014 2LT Spring Edition
all newer cars these days should be on 89 at least i think personally. keeps things clean and running efficiently in todays modern engines.
searam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 02:37 PM   #50
Notorious Bob

Drives: 2013 2LT RS Black

Doesn't matter if it's fuse pulls or octane choice - out come the trolls and the mis-information bunnies

Best advice is to try it and make up your own mind...

Also helps to gen up a little bit on engines and apply some common sense!
Old 07-17-2014, 02:41 PM   #51
Evergreen6

Drives: 2023 Camaro 1SS
From the perspective of someone who commutes a lot... It's not that I can't afford the extra couple $ per fill, it's that I don't see any reason to, and the benefit of a few extra horsepower (if it even helps) is pretty negligible.

The 3.6 isn't a rare engine, and if rental cars are any example, they still continue to run after a hundred thousand miles using the cheapest crap gas that people can find to stuff in 'em.

My V6 is doing fine with 87 and I don't have any plans to change. I can bet the warranty on that, because that's what the owner's manual says to use.

I'd entertain the discussion of using higher grade gas if we were talking about engines that have no electronics and could be damaged by using regular grade gas. But, we're talking about an engine that is electronically controlled and can pull its timing and adjust accordingly for the proper burn.
Evergreen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 03:04 PM   #52
stoopid

Drives: 4 wheels
Interesting read on the subject...

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/regular-or-premium

Quote:
Our tests confirm that for most cars there is no compelling reason to buy more expensive fuel than the factory recommends, as any performance gain realized will surely be far less than the percentage hike in price.

And another...

http://www.edmunds.com/fuel-economy/...g-premium.html
stoopid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 03:29 PM   #53
Doggit

Drives: 2012 1LS Silver Ice
it's a total waste of money, but 89 is only $0.15 more a gallon, that's $2 a week.. if your going to drive the car hard, then I'd say it's worth peace of mind for $2.
Doggit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 03:50 PM   #54
Desertion

Drives: 2010 1LT/RS Transformer Edition
Everyone just needs to do whatever they want to do and if they're wondering if something is better, try it out for yourself and see if you're satisfied. If not go back to regular, simple as that. As for me I've always ran 91 because that's the highest I have access to and don't care about the price, I fill up on average once a month some times every other month, so gas price is the least of my worries. If you can afford it, do it if you want, If you can't, don't. The car will be fine on 87.
Desertion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 03:57 PM   #55
EastWood-SS
Born To Run

Drives: 2013 BRM SS/RS LS3
performance wise, no. Premium gas IS and always will be better for the overall lifetime of an engine IMO. Especially if where you're at its like here where the premium gas has no ethanol as opposed to the regular that does.

2013 Blue Ray Metallic 1SS/RS
Dual Mode Exhaust + Fuse Pull / CAI inc. CAI/ 1LE Strut Tower Brace/ ACS T4 Splitter/ SunRoof/ BA Audio/ Performance Shifter/ White Rally Stripes

EastWood-SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 04:05 PM   #56
jcamaro
Obsessed Much?

Drives: 2015 Silver 1SS/RS M6
The octane rating determines how much compression can be made in the cylinder without causing pre-ignition (combustion before the spark). Pre-ignition leads to knocking. If your motor isn't knocking, there is no benefit to using higher fuel other than sometimes they are cleaner.

In the long run, buy whatever makes you feel better about driving your car. If you like knowing that you're getting the best $ per mile, stick with regular. If you feel the car runs smoother on premium, then stick with it.