Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Old 11-08-2017, 07:42 PM   #1
MJanowich
Door ding magnet

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS
Coldest track day you've been to?

Like the title says, what's the coldest it's been for a track day? I'll be at Summit Point this Friday and it's going to be pretty cold for this time of year, with highs in the low 40's. It'll be interesting to see how many laps the tires take to warm up.

"When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."
MJanowich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 08:23 PM   #2
Synner

Drives: cars
There was snow on the ground a few years back, you'll do fine as long as you don't act a fool which is solid advice for any track day. Don't run a tire that cracks in the morning temp range and you're good.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 06:46 AM   #3
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
At least one of my (December!) events at NJMP had ambient (and pavement) temperatures in the upper 30°'s F for the first couple of run groups' first session and low to mid 40°'s at least through everybody's second session. Mid-30°'s F driving to the track. IIRC, I took at least two full laps before pushing it much.

It's entirely possible (maybe even likely) that your brakes will warm up faster than your tires, where a braking event on your out lap hard enough to get the ABS interested could find one or more tires momentarily locking up anyway. Reduced grip does mean that a locked-up wheel could be a bit sluggish about returning to full road speed after the ABS kicks in and stops trying to brake it. Been there (summer tires, track pads).

Your mantra should go something like "cold tires . . . cold tires . . . cold tires . . . "

Norm
Old 11-09-2017, 09:24 AM   #4
MJanowich
Door ding magnet

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS
Yep, I have summer tires and track pads...maybe I need some of those F1 tire warmers

Of course the other concern is tires cracking from the cold. I'm running Continental ExtremeContact Sport tires and my wife is running a stickier tire, Falken Azenis RT-615k+. I'm more concerned about her tires being damaged from the cold than mine. What's the coldest it can be before we should be really concerned? Our cars will be in the garage tonight and it's an hour drive up there, so they won't really start to cool down until after we're in the paddock.

"When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."
MJanowich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 06:50 PM   #5
Synner

If you're driving there they'll be fully warmed up for the event. The manufacturer is the only source I would trust for min operating/storage temps as it's different for every tire.
Old 11-11-2017, 08:32 AM   #6
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synner View Post
If you're driving there they'll be fully warmed up for the event. The manufacturer is the only source I would trust for min operating/storage temps as it's different for every tire.
Not sure about that at all . . . by the time you've waited in line for tech inspection and attended the drivers' meeting they will have had plenty of time to cool off significantly. Even if your run group hits the track first.

Best test of grip I can think of is to roll into the throttle in 2nd gear in a straight line either down pit lane or as you first enter the track - you'll need TC to be off for this - and if it's easy to get the rear tires to spin let that be your guide rather than guessing or hoping that they stayed warm enough.

I use a similar approach for cold weather street driving except that I'll use 1st gear and wait for a larger than usual gap in traffic before turning onto the main road outside my neighborhood and getting into the throttle a little.

Norm
Old 11-11-2017, 09:18 AM   #7
Synner

I didn't mean traction and grip, I was talking about residual heat to prevent cracking.