Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 11-07-2014, 12:36 PM   #1
K1SSRSS
Chief Many Camaros

Drives: A paid off Camaro!!!
Searching For Traction!!!

Let me preface this, I have done quite a bit of research and Apex's thread on curing wheel hop is very informative, but I keep finding myself confused with all the options.

First off I am currently sitting close to 500hp and plan on going FI and pushing it to the 600-650ish range, I am obviously searching for 1/4 mile traction, but want to retain at least factory handling and decent street ability.

I plan on dropping my rear carrier soon so I would like to get everything lined out and install it all at once and need ideas and opinions on what specific parts have worked for you all.

What I currently have Installed:
BMR Lower Control Arms - Worked great at controlling wheel hop by themselves up to about 400RWHP

What I will have ready to install when carrier is dropped:
3:91 gears
BMR Differential Bushings - Stock bushing were torn?
Eaton Truetrac
1000hp axles

What I assume I need:
Carrier Bushings - planning on full poly bushings of some sort
Toe rods - have no idea on what options to go with
Upper Control Arms???

Is there anything I'm missing other than the obvious drag radials any help is greatly appreciated, as I know traction is already my limiting factor and will be even more so when I step up in HP.

504hp/478tq
Performance: Kooks LT, 3'' Exhaust, V-Max TB, Roto-Fab CAI, Custom Ported/Port Matched Heads and Intake
Suspension: BMR Adjustable LCA's, BMR Trailing Arms, Poly Bushings, BMR Toe Rods
Coming Soon (still in the box): Procharger F1R, G-Force Axles, 3:91 gears w/Eaton Truetrac
K1SSRSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 01:29 PM   #2
Dexman1349
2010 2SS/RS M6

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6
Suggestions:
-Solid subframe bushings. If you have the cash, go with the Detroit Speed revolvers. That will eliminate any subframe movement and the car will track straight under hard acceleration. With the cradle down, this is the best time to do it.
-No need to replace the UCA's, just the bushings. JDP has some pre-pressed that are very good.
-Trailing arms. I have the Spohn, but I wouldn't recommend them unless you know how to adjust them. Long story short, it took a trip to JDP in Utah to get them figured out. Make sure you replace the outer bushings at the same time.
-Springs/coilovers. Upgrading to a progressive spring (anything aftermarket or even a set of stock ZL1's) instead of the soft SS springs will help a ton.
-Sway bars & endlinks. This won't help much for drag racing, but will make the car handle a ton better in the corners.
-Toe rods. A set of 1LE/ZL1 toe rods are IMO the best bang for the buck. The arms themselves are identical to the SS's, but they come with better bushings.

The differential bushings aren't worth it unless your stock ones are broke. When combined with the rest of the stiffer suspension, the diff bushings create a fair amount more NVH. I had done all of the above with little/no NVH, but once the diff bushings went on things got louder. You get used to it, but it can get annoying when you can't turn up the radio and are stuck cruising at 65 on the highway.

Cosmetic: ZL1 front w/mailslot, painted stripes, powdercoated SS rims, tow hook, and full chrome delete

Suspension: Pfadt subframe bushings, Pfadt rear UCA bushings, Z28 Upper control arms, Spohn trailing arms with BMR trailing arm & differential bushings, ZL1 Toe Rods and springs, Prothane radius arm inserts & steering rack bushing, Pfadt Sport front sway, FE4 conversion w/ DS rear sway, Pfadt strut brace

Drivetrain: RMCR tune, CAI intake, Kooks headers, hi-flo cats & exhaust, VMAX TB, ZL1 fuel pump, LSR Tri-Ax shifter

Bumblebee Racecar Build
Dexman1349 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 01:37 PM   #3
K1SSRSS
Chief Many Camaros

Thanks man, I hadn't even thought about springs yet. Lots of good info.

504hp/478tq
Performance: Kooks LT, 3'' Exhaust, V-Max TB, Roto-Fab CAI, Custom Ported/Port Matched Heads and Intake
Suspension: BMR Adjustable LCA's, BMR Trailing Arms, Poly Bushings, BMR Toe Rods
Coming Soon (still in the box): Procharger F1R, G-Force Axles, 3:91 gears w/Eaton Truetrac
Old 11-07-2014, 02:04 PM   #4
hrpiii
AKA "Beefcake"

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Sharkskin
Dexman got you all hooked up. I agree and do pretty good with what I have on the track. Pedders Subframe bushing, BMR toe rods, Pfadt trailing arms, Pfadt drop springs, Pfadt sways and end-links.
hrpiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 06:51 PM   #5
JDP Sales

Drives: Chevys at the limit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexman1349 View Post
Suggestions:
-Solid subframe bushings. If you have the cash, go with the Detroit Speed revolvers. That will eliminate any subframe movement and the car will track straight under hard acceleration. With the cradle down, this is the best time to do it.
-No need to replace the UCA's, just the bushings. JDP has some pre-pressed that are very good.
-Trailing arms. I have the Spohn, but I wouldn't recommend them unless you know how to adjust them. Long story short, it took a trip to JDP in Utah to get them figured out. Make sure you replace the outer bushings at the same time.
-Springs/coilovers. Upgrading to a progressive spring (anything aftermarket or even a set of stock ZL1's) instead of the soft SS springs will help a ton.
-Sway bars & endlinks. This won't help much for drag racing, but will make the car handle a ton better in the corners.
-Toe rods. A set of 1LE/ZL1 toe rods are IMO the best bang for the buck. The arms themselves are identical to the SS's, but they come with better bushings.

The differential bushings aren't worth it unless your stock ones are broke. When combined with the rest of the stiffer suspension, the diff bushings create a fair amount more NVH. I had done all of the above with little/no NVH, but once the diff bushings went on things got louder. You get used to it, but it can get annoying when you can't turn up the radio and are stuck cruising at 65 on the highway.
Good post!

The only thing I'll hit on above that is I would recommend a stiff rear spring in the rear, if-not coilovers. The goal is to prevent squat on launch, as when the car squats, you'll gain negative camber and toe in; basically scrubbing your traction away.

I'd also go with some adjustable toe links so you have more alignment adjustability. Hopefully, you also have the adjustable version of BMR's LCA's.

A stiff rear sway bar can also help the IRS act more like a solid axle car. Keeping both wheels working together also helps keep things planted.

Feel free to call, PM or email me anytime with questions.

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
JDP Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 10:36 AM   #6
K1SSRSS
Chief Many Camaros

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDP Tyler View Post
Good post!

The only thing I'll hit on above that is I would recommend a stiff rear spring in the rear, if-not coilovers. The goal is to prevent squat on launch, as when the car squats, you'll gain negative camber and toe in; basically scrubbing your traction away.

I'd also go with some adjustable toe links so you have more alignment adjustability. Hopefully, you also have the adjustable version of BMR's LCA's.

A stiff rear sway bar can also help the IRS act more like a solid axle car. Keeping both wheels working together also helps keep things planted.

Feel free to call, PM or email me anytime with questions.

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
Unfortunately, I did not use the adjustable lca's, how pertinent is it that I swap over to the adjustable? If it is big enough of a difference, I don't have a problem pulling these off and selling them.

Thanks

504hp/478tq
Old 11-08-2014, 09:32 PM   #7
camarossdusk
whippled 5th gen

Drives: 2013 camaro ss
im pushing 720 rwhp went with pro version cradle bushings, the upper control arm mounts, bmr trailing arms, and toe rods, this really helped me with the bad wheel hop was getting, looking into bmr, talk to keith, jdp tyler also helped a lot too with understanding everything involved with what helps to cure wheel hop.
camarossdusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 01:58 PM   #8
JDP Sales

Drives: Chevys at the limit
Quote:
Originally Posted by K1SSRSS View Post
Unfortunately, I did not use the adjustable lca's, how pertinent is it that I swap over to the adjustable? If it is big enough of a difference, I don't have a problem pulling these off and selling them.

Thanks
Mostly just for the alignment adjustability after lowering. As you lower an IRS car, you'll gain negative camber and toe in. You do have some adjustment with the factory eccentrics, but not enough to get to 0 camber, which is what I recommend for drag racing; get the tire as flat as possible for the best contact patch.

So in short, I would recommend going adjustable if lowering. BMR also offers a non-adjustable option for lowered cars, but I'd pony up the extra funds for the fully adjustable arms if it were me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by camarossdusk View Post
im pushing 720 rwhp went with pro version cradle bushings, the upper control arm mounts, bmr trailing arms, and toe rods, this really helped me with the bad wheel hop was getting, looking into bmr, talk to keith, jdp tyler also helped a lot too with understanding everything involved with what helps to cure wheel hop.
Glad we could get you setup. Thanks for the support!

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
JDP Sales is offline   Reply With Quote