Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 12-28-2019, 12:10 PM   #1
Zl1Dreaming

Drives: 2013 ZL1 A6
DSX aux pump install

I am getting ready to install the DSX auxiliary pump and don’t have the proper tap. I have a 3/8” 18 NPT tap. It calls for a 3/8” 18 NPTF tap. Has anyone used the NPT tap without issue?
The English language makes absolutely no sense. You park on a driveway and drive on a parkway. Hemorrhoids are in your as* and asteroids are in the sky. I fully understand why less and less people speak proper English.

RotoFab CAI, ATI Balancer, 22.5% OD pulley, Dynatech 1 7/8” LT headers with Dynatech HF cats, DSX auxiliary pump, DSX flex fuel sensor, ID1050x injectors, 174 Thermostat , Moroso catch can , Metco breather, Aeroforce Interceptor gauge , JRE Tune, ..that’s all (for now).

I am addicted to power, will work for mods.
Zl1Dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 09:17 PM   #2
Crash76
Team 913

Drives: '14 ZL1, '15 Jeep GC, ‘22 Ram 2500
You need the correct tap...

I can send you mine if you want , just make sure you send it back or just buy one from dsx ... which would be the better option
Crash76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 06:32 PM   #3
Zl1Dreaming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash76 View Post
You need the correct tap...

I can send you mine if you want , just make sure you send it back or just buy one from dsx ... which would be the better option
Thanks for the offer Crash. After I posted, I emailed DSX. They informed me I could use the NPT tap. They suggested I use the provided sealant , which I did. Hopefully , I will be leak free.

The fitting into the tank is a bit looser than I would like it to be. I can move it by putting a slight bit of pressure on the hose (moving the hose into, or away from the floor).

Tomorrow I will put some fuel in and leak check it. Fingers crossed.
The English language makes absolutely no sense. You park on a driveway and drive on a parkway. Hemorrhoids are in your as* and asteroids are in the sky. I fully understand why less and less people speak proper English.

RotoFab CAI, ATI Balancer, 22.5% OD pulley, Dynatech 1 7/8” LT headers with Dynatech HF cats, DSX auxiliary pump, DSX flex fuel sensor, ID1050x injectors, 174 Thermostat , Moroso catch can , Metco breather, Aeroforce Interceptor gauge , JRE Tune, ..that’s all (for now).

Old 12-30-2019, 01:08 AM   #4
Crash76
Team 913

Drives: '14 ZL1, '15 Jeep GC, ‘22 Ram 2500
Make sure it cures well ...

I know they said it was good to go , but i came across this on a machinists site

Since NPT threaded parts require sealing compounds, it is acceptable to use an NPTF tap for NPT applications. However, NPT taps cannot be used for NPTF applications, as it will likely produce a thread that will leak.
Crash76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 05:41 PM   #5
Zl1Dreaming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash76 View Post
Make sure it cures well ...

I know they said it was good to go , but i came across this on a machinists site

Since NPT threaded parts require sealing compounds, it is acceptable to use an NPTF tap for NPT applications. However, NPT taps cannot be used for NPTF applications, as it will likely produce a thread that will leak.
So far, so good. I put back the 6-8 gallons I had drained prior to drilling and tapping. No leaks. I just need to figure out why I am getting a CEL. I got a code P0178 (fuel composition sensor circuit low). I’m thinking the white wire on the Flex fuel sensor might be the issue.